AGK2 vs Pure Basic

Started by Pfaber11, April 28, 2019, 13:41:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

Quote from: Pfaber11 on April 30, 2019, 14:02:40
Still curious has anybody spent time with AGK2 and purebasic and can say which one they prefer . I had a look at purebasic and it seemed very similar to AGK2 but I didn't really spend enough time with it to get used to the syntax.
Speaking from a game making perspective then AGK2 is more feature rich than PureBASIC and easier to accomplish things in. If your game requires CPU intensive routines per frame then PB has the raw compiled grunt and advantage over AGK Tier 1. Likewise if you wanted to code both games and native desktop apps in one language then PB would more likely be suited to your needs.

AGK is a lot easier to get into and personally for me a lot more fun than PB. I don't like the way PB works and find things like initialising graphic and sound engines really old fashioned and something the compiler should do in the background, for example "Oh, he's called a sound command. I'll add in the sound engine". Overall I find the structure and syntax of PB more messy than AGK.

So in a nutshell, it's going to take something special to drag me away from AGK for making 2D games :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Pfaber11

Why do I want to move away from AGK2 ? I want to learn a semi professional language and out of them all I think python is going to be the easiest to get along with. Having said that I've been playing around with it for the last couple of days and so far have nothing to run on it. using the wing 101 IDE for now. Yes the indentation thing can be a right pain and I'm not sure I really get the class thing but hopefully it'll grow on me. AGK2 is a great place to start and I do love using it and would recommend it to anyone . Haven't found anything wrong with it and once you've put a few weeks into it you're off . It's a shame it's not what I would call a professional language because if it was it would take the world by storm.   
The best thing about what I'm doing right now is python is free as is the IDE and the 3 modules I've installed. Got pygame and panda3d so should be able to produce some good games. Python compiles to byte code as far as I'm aware so probably won't be much faster than AGK2 but I guess we'll see. If I can't get along with python then I will probably go to AGKstudio .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Pfaber11

Well for the time being I've decided to stick with AGK for the reason that I think it would take me a year to get into python properly and I don't won't to spend a year learning another language . I've decided the way forward for myself is to put my time into becoming a better AGK programmer. I really don't get the OOP style of programming , classes and all that def this def that . I think if you're into basic and want a current language then for me it's gotta be AGK or Pure basic and for some reason when I try to run a programme in Pure basic it crashes even with there demo programmes not just my own . For some reason my computer doesn't like pure basic . I tried the demo and the cracked version and the same thing happens with both of them . so Happy I didn't pay for it but I would of if it worked . So I'm very happy to be using AGK2. Enjoy your day and happy coding .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

MikeHart

You are using warez? And want to make money with software. I hate warez users.

Pfaber11

Warez ? What is warez . sorry if I've offended you.

Pfaber11

If you mean cracked software no I don't use it . just wanted to check out Pure basic . If it would of worked I would of purchased it .

Pfaber11

At the end of the day it didn't work the demo or the crack . Don't know why but there you go . My AGK2 and all my other stuff is either freeware or I've purchased it.

Pfaber11

What if I would of purchased Pure Basic and that didn't work also I just wanted to take a look at it before diving in . If I would of spent 79 euros on it and it wouldn't of worked where would that of left me . out of pocket .

Derron

A programmer can learn almost any (coding) language which follows the same principles (so not talking about "brain fuck" or other more esoteric languages).

Programming is logic driven and I do not understand why someone who searches a _new_ language prefers a paid-solution (AGK) over a more proven language (Python) plus an huge amount of libraries/modules.

I would understand to stay with a language (eg. BlitzMax/3D/... or AGK) if you learned programming with it - or used it for years now - but as said, searching for a NEW language, especially if you want to use them professionally, ... nah.

Go with Python in your spare time, eg. write little snippets for Blender (scripting via Python) or write little tools in Python ... it might have some disadvantages (indentation is a "needs to get used to" thing) but else it has a huge user base which means that you will most probably find an answer for most of your questions. I doubt that for AGK, BlitzMax, Blitz3D ... and all the little "indie tools".

bye
Ron

Pfaber11

You know Ron I agree with you . I really wish there was a professional basic out there of some description . Yes I will keep python handy and have a play with it every now and then .

Qube

QuoteI really wish there was a professional basic out there of some description
Visual BASIC .net is about as professional you can get for a BASIC based language. Although in a work environment they'll more likely be wanting C# .net over VB .net.

BASIC which has come on leaps and bounds since it's conception will never every be accepted as a professional language, ever! - Although you could argue that during the VB6 era it was more accepted in that area.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Pfaber11

I read somewhere that VB was given the axe and people were swapping over to C# . I think that TGC should start saying AGK is for Indies hobbyists and professionals alike . It kind of has a ring to it and I think  their sales would go up. Otherwise it's like saying it's a toy.

Steve Elliott

Well I quite like the name 'Application Game Kit' (rather than yet another XYZ BASIC).  It does sound more professional I think, but the language itself is old skool BASIC, so doesn't match the modern name.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

QuoteAlthough you could argue that during the VB6 era it was more accepted in that area.

I can recall battling with vb6 to achieve a plotting thing for some data I was importing - I was so glad Blitz 3D  was around. VB is still awesome for front end GUI applications - but I much prefer B3D (I suppose AGK today - still supported for one) rather than VB for under the covers coding grunt. :D
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Steve Elliott

So basically (lol) there's still not a simple but powerful language that suits all.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb