Next competition ideas (The 9th)

Started by round157, April 13, 2019, 00:37:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Coder Apprentice

Agree with Derron.

iWasAdam

mmm, not so sure on that front.
The SyntaxBomb winners are always finished games, and pervious winners have been people with very different skills/styles/resources.

Coder Apprentice

All right, all right I see your point...it was just an idea. Thought I throw it out there. So let's do the Alienz idea of mine?

;D

Actually a Dungeon Master like game is a pretty cool idea Adam! The question is what's the emphasis on? The real/pseudo 3D movement, RPG fantasy settings? Or both? Or the game could be an RPG-ish space-base crawler?

iWasAdam

good points. I would have thought the interpretation would be up to each person - just as long as you can see 'generally' where it came from.

So, yep - go fo 3d or go for 2d. maybe a space setting... who knows.... ::)

Coder Apprentice

Make a tribute game to Dungeon Master with your own spin? Me likes Adam's idea!

Derron

Next planned compo was a random-mix thing ...we should keep that and use this discussion here for the follow up compo.

Bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Does it have to even be a game?...Can it be a graphics demo to show off your coding skills?
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: Steve Elliott on August 22, 2019, 18:57:40
Does it have to even be a game?...Can it be a graphics demo to show off your coding skills?
That's a cool idea but wouldn't those with super cool graphics win?. I do like the idea of a pure coding comp so perhaps the comp could provide a few images / sprites that the entries have to use?. Could be interesting...
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

If you predefine graphics / sprites then you most probably will also predefine the genre - or at least say "favor" a genre.

Aside of that I am with you Qube, the ones with more skill graphics wise (shaders, rendering, pixeling, ...) will most probably gain more votes and so the "game itself" is less important.
Nonetheless the idea to "show your coding skills" is not that new - I brought up an "AI wars" thing somewhere buried in the "next compo ideas" threads/derailments. There people could show their coding skills to compete against each other.

As said before: the next competition should be one of the "two random genre/theme"-things. So that mixtures like "Sport + Fantasy" (Mud?) or "Dungeon + Sport" are possible ;-)

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

i'm voting Sport down  >:( and Spurt up   :D

Quotethat would also predefine the genre
not if you think about it. any style of graphics 'could' be rendered in an many different ways.
Especially if the graphics were not sprites, but textures

Steve Elliott

That's a cool idea but wouldn't those with super cool graphics win?

Not necessarily, when there's a game competition I don't vote for the game with the best graphics, I vote for the most interesting/playable game in my eyes.  So a photo-real scene would be quite boring as a demo (although very clever).  Where as some wacky Jeff Minter-like surreal demos would be more interesting.

and so the "game itself" is less important.

There is no game it's a non-interactive demo, and you don't need to draw traditional sprites if you don't want too as Adam clarified.  Jeff Minter is not the best artist in the world, but some of his animation work in-game is surreal and interesting visually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuzliMrJH8o
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

OK, for the next comp who'd like :

1.. Show off your coding skills and imagination - Code a demo - a selection of graphics provided but how you use them is up to you - 1 month comp
2.. Code a game ( random theme(s) ) - 8 week comp

Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

STEVIE G

2 for me.  Skills and imagination are a given  ;D

BasicBoy

(Option 1 would give those who are a whizz with GPU shaders -- i.e. not me! -- one heck of an advantage)

Amon

I think it's best for option 2.