Next competition ideas (The 9th)

Started by round157, April 13, 2019, 00:37:52

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

QuoteDid we even need to go 64 bit at all, could we have waited until 2020, 2025?
If I remember correctly wasn't it Bill Gates who once said:
QuoteThere should be no reason why anyone would need more than 640k of memory.

Qube

Quote from: iWasAdam on April 23, 2019, 05:58:34
QuoteDid we even need to go 64 bit at all, could we have waited until 2020, 2025?
If I remember correctly wasn't it Bill Gates who once said:
QuoteThere should be no reason why anyone would need more than 640k of memory.
It was :P just your typical marketing blurb. Then again he also believed the internet wouldn't become popular.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

I know you've all been wondering wheres the wormserver.... Here she is folks, just in time for the weekend 8)

https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,857.msg1846.html#msg1846
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Derron

I somehow assume nobody of us did a "pinball" game yet ...

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Poke, poke... Xybots anyone. 2d=3d=2d  ;D, Sod it! Doom?  :-*

Just restarting this one :) :P

ooh, style - how about comic or 2000AD <grins>

Coder Apprentice

2D Side Scroller

Run, jump, drive, fly from left to right. Collect all you need, kill all the enemies. Theme is up to you.

3DzForMe

.... .   Also of interest is creating a little tutorial for your language - something which might show why you choose your language instead of others - show how efficiently you can code up stuff there or similar things.       

Well.... I've just proven to myself how (little) I understand (or have forgotten) how Blitz3D syntax works. I just thought I'd see if my Wormserver and client code would compile on a W10 box. The Wormserver code had some minor modifications stopping it from compiling - sheez, an hour later it works.

types and stuff, mad.

Quoteooh, style - how about comic or 2000AD <grins>

Sounds cool - or how about your choice of comic style - bit of a challenge in the old graphical creation front  ;D
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Xerra

Or how about we keep it simple and go for the best bullet hell shoot-em up?

Or maybe do a take on arcade legends? Space Invaders, Asteroids (I know it's been done as a standalone before), Missile Command, Pacman, Mr Do, Centipede, Robotron. Qube puts up a list of what he thinks are the top ten arcade classics from the early eighties and we pick one.

I'm kinda itching to do another adventure game but, yeah, I'll keep quiet about that idea, eh? Oops!

The Match 3 idea was bandied about previously.

A sports game of any type. Football, Tennis, Baseball, Rugby, Boxing or whatever.

Or how about a one button press type of game. You only press fire once after the game has started and it's down to timing on how the level plays out.

A betting game where you don't participate in the sport but bet on the outcome of the event.

Just throwing a few ideas into the pot.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Derron

@ Xerra
Writing clones/remakes ... can lead to copyright issues. So no Pacman, no Tetris, no ...

bye
Ron

Qube

I'll launch our next comp soon-ish :) - It'll be randomly generated and there may be a choice of 3 available "themes". Not sure yet but I think a wider choice based comp could be good.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Xerra

Quote from: Derron on June 01, 2019, 23:24:19
@ Xerra
Writing clones/remakes ... can lead to copyright issues. So no Pacman, no Tetris, no ...

Don't be such a killjoy, Derron. You ever charged for one of your compo games? So you're not making money from it. You're using your own graphics. What would be the point of a company coming after you because you wrote your own version of Pacman, for example?

The game's been cloned already millions of times and it hasn't been making any money for many years for the original creators.

If you reused the graphics from the arcade original and then maybe tried to charge a fiver for it then maybe someone could have an issue. Other than that, why would they waste their time going specifically for an non-profit indie game-jam project?
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

iWasAdam

how about 'inspired by' rather than clone/remake  :D

but...
Tetris and anything with Mario (even in the title) will result in takedowns from the parent company - even if there is no money involved.

So it is much better to be safe - The Companies MUST (by law) come after you if they feel their rights have been violated. If they don't it sets a legal precedent  :o

Derron

Thanks Adam.

Yes. They are forced to come after you as soon as they find out about the game. Depending on the country of the webhost (AND of course developer/publishing identity) this nice "letter" can be free of any costs - or already presented with a costly fee (depending on the value of potential financial loss they "see" with your game - multiplied with eg. download counts).

So nope, no Tetris, Mario, Pac-Man, ... from me (I paid for infringement of trademarks/image marks by others in the past ... so I am a bit more "alerted").

They even tried to secure game play but for now chances to not get sued there are high enough to at least try.

@ inspired by / tributes
This might be possible as long as visual discrepances are there. Tinting ghosts in PacMan differently wont help. Also "Super Fartio" with a farting yellow-clothed-plumper might still be too much.
US Citizens have some more chances with their laws regarding satire/art/...  or even their "fair use" thing.

Best bet is to do how Qube suggested: random theme and done.

bye
Ron

Pakz

In my twitter feed I noticed a that a youtube video by Seth Everman was taken down for a short time. He with humor covered a song by billy ellish. He racked up 25 million views! It seems you can not even replicate a melody without getting in trouble.

In the 90's, with my Amiga sampler I recorded sound effects from various sources, tv and such. These were published by a pd company(17bit) I noticed they can not be found online anymore either. I think back than it was less dangerous to do things like that. Even police officers were copying games.

Matty

Clearly disney and google play dont give a toss about copyright anymore.   See attached.  Been out for years now this one....