Next competition ideas (The 9th)

Started by round157, April 13, 2019, 00:37:52

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVIE G

Quote from: iWasAdam on April 18, 2019, 11:06:14
i like the general idea of 2d = 32
cards - however interpreted

What on earth would 2d = 32 cards be interpreted as?

Maybe I've picked up the chat wrong but the idea of creating an AI bot for someone elses program (which has to be written first) does not appeal.  It's seems overcomplex and would be difficult to measure/judge.

Personally, it should be about creating a fun game.  Collaboration would be fine but I don't think I could do that due to programming OCD  ;D

I always liked the idea of re-imagining a 2d game in 3d or vice-versa - even just sticking to a random theme/genre sounds good to me.

iWasAdam

oh crap 2d = 32 :o
meant to be 2d = 3d!  8)

I think it's time for me to give these chicken fingers back, or at least wash all the grease (geese) from my keybroad...

Derron

Quote from: iWasAdam on April 18, 2019, 14:26:03
I think it's time for me to give these chicken fingers back, or at least wash all the grease (geese) from my keybroad...
I am sure you meant keybread.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

Quote from: iWasAdam on April 18, 2019, 14:26:03

If you got KFC there then you need to be sharing the wealth, dude. My missus is Vegan so I don't see stuff like that too often :-(
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Derron

Are you only eating what your wife cooks?

My wife is vegetarian but sons plus me do not have to "suffer too. The benefits of daddy cooking the majority of the meals :-)

Bye
Ron

Xerra

Quote from: Derron on April 18, 2019, 18:16:04
Are you only eating what your wife cooks?

My wife is vegetarian but sons plus me do not have to "suffer too. The benefits of daddy cooking the majority of the meals :-)

I'm no cook but there's no way I'd expect her to be cooking stuff that she couldn't stand to even smell. She's pretty tolerant but I'd be a bit of an arse if I did that. Luckily she's happy to cook with dairy like milk and eggs so mostly I'm eating vegetarian. If I want something like pepperoni pizza then I take her out to dinner. That's the ground rules. I can live with that :)
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

3DzForMe

QuoteIf one wants to do such a thing and we eg. decided to write it as a webapplication we could even develop the "server" in collaboration. First of all it needed the basic functionality (the API containing stuff to create test games, add and remove players, handle drop-outs/time-outs ...). So we would create a server which allows to create games we could use to test our "bots" (each dev can play its own games). It must of course also allow to register bots (you receive a unique key) which would allow multiple bots to get executed on the same computer (they then send their unique key as identifier for the server to distinguish between multiple incoming requests).
Once this all is working, people could try out basic bots to see if communication works as they want. THEN ... then it is time to decide for a game (hidden, not publically) as the game logic would need to get written too + API to expose. Once the server is written the game would be announced and people could start writing the actual AI/bot.
There is a lot of more to do and I want to avoid derailing the thread with an idea which is not of interest for all.

The whole server-program-creation already will take a lot of tinkering already - surely way way more than creating the bots (as you do not have to deal with all this ACL, GUI, ... stuff).

Once this is done you can use the base for many other bot-game-experiments.

Am pretty sure that there are some interested in such a thing - but most will try to avoid these kind of "experiments".

I've a little server / worm application written in my fave coding language I'll share once I fire up the old XP Box (W7 up until recently....). Gives a good idea (I think anyhow) how Derrons idea could be implemented.... Although I appreciate this may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Might try and hang together a worm in another language to demonstrate how connecting to a server could be (easily ?) achieved.

QuoteQuote from: iWasAdam on April 18, 2019, 02:26:03 PM

If you got KFC there then you need to be sharing the wealth, dude. My missus is Vegan so I don't see stuff like that too often :-(

I sympathise, my wife and daughter have been Vegan since January, my son and yours truly are 'semi-vegan'. Driving back from Corby last sunday, was struggling to stay awake so stopped of at a chicken joint in grantham for 5 sizzling chicken wings, 2 chicken fillets and chip and fizzy pop, yum yum! :P  The whole family used to go there.... :'(   Kicks KFC's arse every day of the week!

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

3DzForMe

Here's a suggestion, I was considering a retro 16 bit competition, but it would seem 32-bit, yep 32 Bits is entering retro-ness already.

Unity..... Beginners 64 bit only.
Cerberus.... The same.

I wouldn't mind but I've 32 bit machines galore.

So, next competition, 16 bit or.... 32 bit?

Derron

Dunno what you want to say with this motion-blurred shot of your short throusers and some computers ;-)

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

yep 32 Bits is entering retro-ness already.

Already?  When were 64-bit Intel chips mainstream, 2004?  Yep, standardisation of 64-bit only software is fast approaching, a good thing I think.  Certainly from a developers point of view (less systems to support).
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

Thing is, I recall the discussions whether 64-bits could be fully utilised, after, 32 bits does allow for a little space in itself.

Are 64 bits being truly utilised.... Or is it another means of forcing an upgrade for upgrades sake. How long before, 64 bits doesn't cut the mustard, you need 128... Not a luddite... I think...

Steve Elliott

How long before, 64 bits doesn't cut the mustard, you need 128

But 128-bit chips aren't available for mainstream computers, so that's irrelevant.  64-bit computers have been around for a very long time (in computer terms) and we are still not taking advantage of them fully even now.  For example the various Operating Systems that were 32-bit running on 64-bit hardware - let alone software.  The 64-bit OS is very common now, so the next logical step is 64-bit only software.  Even the £30 Raspberry pi 3 has a 64-bit chip!
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

Quote.and we are still not taking advantage of them fully even now.     

So, it begs the question, in this capitalist consumer world.... Did we even need to go 64 bit at all, could we have waited until 2020, 2025?

Steve Elliott

Yes, to access and use efficiently the huge memory and hard drive sizes we also have these days.  I'm not into upgrading for upgrades sake, but getting everything on a 64-bit OS with 64-bit software would be a solid standard.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb