August 22, 2019, 06:55:41 AM

Author Topic: Next competition ideas (The 9th)  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Derron

Re: Next competition ideas (The 9th)
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2019, 09:45:01 PM »
Just have seen a "clickomania"-screenshot in the syntaxbomb gallery ... and got an idea.

"arcade/casual outbreak"
Base your game on a simple casual / arcade game (clickomania, coloumns, mahjongg, solitaire) and bring this game to another genre.
Eg. the inital game looks like a Dr. Mario but in the intro/automated movement the game changes on the first "removal" of a block: viruses fight against the medicine particles invading the environment (galaxy/r-type).

pong: paddles need to get painted in the right color to create points (logic game)

Might be a bit hard to find good suiting ideas but maybe others have some?

bye
Ron

Offline DaiHard

« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2019, 09:38:45 AM »
Kris, I remember a scenario in Age of Empires where your only hope was to get a man into a boat and sail away from the rampaging hordes, to set up a new empire in another corner, before storming back to total victory... Not so much hard-to-easy, as a lull in the storm...

:)

D

Offline Kris

« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2019, 05:55:28 PM »
Didn't play Age of Empires (shame)...gotta check it out. But yeah same basic concept. Put a player in a position where there is no way to win but have a chance to escape, then collect, build, get stronger and come back and win. And you can make all kinds of games, gives you lots of freedom.

Qube!?

8)

Offline Matty

• MattiesGames
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2019, 06:03:03 AM »
Someone mentioned erotic interactive fiction.....for some reason I think of an rpg styled like this...enjoy.

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2019, 08:26:44 AM »
why not have a comp with no monetary prizes  8)

any comp is better than none  :P

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2019, 05:04:30 PM »
why not have a comp with no monetary prizes  8)

any comp is better than none  :P

It's not the winning but the taking part that counts. Having a monetary prize is good and all that but I agree with Adam that it's not the only incentive. I like the buzz of getting a game out of the door in time and then seeing how it compares to other peoples efforts.

I seem to recall this discussion came up before and got vetoed, or there were general comments about not entering if there's no financial incentive, however. I could be mistaken though.

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2019, 10:30:56 PM »
I should be finished with the current mountain of work next week so if members want a competition then I can set one up next weekend?

I don't mind shoving in a prize fund but it won't be £500+ as these comps are costing me a fortune :P

So who's up for a comp even with a smaller prize fund?
Until the next time...

Offline Derron

« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2019, 10:53:35 PM »
Interested yes, but it depends on timeframe, theme ... and what my family is up with when time of the compo comes near.

bye
Ron

Offline STEVIE G

« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2019, 05:34:53 AM »
I should be finished with the current mountain of work next week so if members want a competition then I can set one up next weekend?

I don't mind shoving in a prize fund but it won't be £500+ as these comps are costing me a fortune :P

So who's up for a comp even with a smaller prize fund?

I should be game.  The prize fund doesn't motivate me - more whether I can nail down a concept that's worth developing and fits the theme.  :D

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2019, 06:43:25 AM »
I've been slacking last few weeks on a game I'd been working on so need a kick up the arse by having a deadline. I'll have a go if I can come up with an idea based on the theme.

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2019, 08:10:46 AM »
me me me  :D
depending on the consistency of the custard!

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2019, 10:51:03 AM »
How about "dungeon master" like games ;D

Offline Kris

« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2019, 03:48:11 PM »
AlienZ

Fight them, fight with them, fight for them, make them evil, make them neutral, make them friendly. Any alien world/worlds, lifeform/lifeforms from A to Z that is an integral part of your creation will qualify your game.

Offline Kris

« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2019, 03:03:30 PM »
OK! Here is a different but I think a rather interesting idea.

Title: Finish What You Started!

Take any of your unfinished game. It can be anything from something secretly sitting on your hard drive or the back of your mind to something you already entered in any of the previous Syntax Bomb competition. The goal is to "finish" the game and make it market ready. During the competition work in progress games could be shared among registered syntax bomb members to try and give feedback about each other's work. Once the competition is over everybody who reaches the desired level of completion will release his/her game. The competition would reward people who release their game during a given time frame.

The release time frame could be around Christmas. Anybody who doesn't finish their game during this time, won't be rewarded but of course welcome to release their game and share experiences.

I think we would all benefit largely from this competition in many ways!

Offline Derron

« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2019, 03:29:37 PM »
"Finish what you started" should not be a competition but more a "mantra".

Why? If you compete with someone who only requires to create some levels for a fully working game while your game is ....only a prototype, then this might become unfair.

bye
Ron