Next competition ideas (The 9th)

Started by round157, April 13, 2019, 00:37:52

Previous topic - Next topic

round157

Hi..

Suggest, propose, debate and consider here.

Qube

Thinking, thinking, thinking..... Nope, I have nothing.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

therevills

• Isometric
  • 3D
  • Limited number of lines
  • AI

round157

Quote from: Qube on April 13, 2019, 03:18:02
Thinking, thinking, thinking..... Nope, I have nothing.

Hi..,

You always have creative ideas.

round157

Naughty Alien

3DzForMe

@NA, now there's an idea  :P

Although, it may be a little restrictive for some....

How about 2D-3D Vice Versa.....

1. Taking a 2D game and changing it to 3D.

Or

2. Doing 3D to 2D

Or.....

3. Doing the Xybots style thing

Or ....

4. Isometric 3D.

Can't think of a fifth one......

Wait, here we go:

5. 3D wireframe style, no textures.....

Bit of choice there, variety is indeed the spice of life..... :D
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Derron

Next compo was said to be a theme/keyword thing, not a technical restriction/conversion

3d to 2d
2d to 3d
... all of these things restrict game types already.

Nonetheless: with the current amount of "votes" and possibly the connected lack of sparetime it might not be the best idea to already discuss the next competition. Maybe do something "non competitive" for the next month. People should try to build up frameworks, try new languages, learn new stuff - play some games to gather ideas. Maybe there is interest to build a little game together - means providing assets, scripting stuff - of course this does only work if people try to learn a new language together or are knowing the language of choice etc.
The idea is to improve project collaboration skills like asset work flows (creation tools -> export -> usage in game ...) or project structuring/planning (holding deadlines etc).
If people could not agree on languages they could even split up their work into "main program", "tools", "assets", ... so some code little tools easing the workflow etc.

Also of interest is creating a little tutorial for your language - something which might show why you choose your language instead of others - show how efficiently you can code up stuff there or similar things.

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Quote.   Also of interest is creating a little tutorial for your language - something which might show why you choose your language instead of others - show how efficiently you can code up stuff there or similar things.

Sounds intriguing.

Steve Elliott

Xybots looks like a cool game, by legendary 'Gauntlet' programmer Ed Logg.  Maybe a Gauntlet style game?

Maybe do something "non competitive" for the next month. People should try to build up frameworks, try new languages, learn new stuff

This is what I'll be doing.  The competition really brought home how ill-prepared I was for a game competition in a matter of weeks.  I hadn't written a full game in a long time for a start, it took me 2 weeks to decide on a game, I knew only the basics of AGK, had no animation or tile designing software, needed more practice with pixel art and so on.  So sadly I didn't make the deadline.

Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed the competition.   :D

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

Quote from: therevills on April 13, 2019, 03:34:30

• Isometric
  • 3D
  • Limited number of lines
  • AI

All definitely more challenging than a retro game, I think. I'd have no idea - currently - on how to approach a 3d game, or an isometric, but that probably wouldn't put me off. I'd try to veto a limited number of lines competition straight off though because I'm using Gamemaker to create my games currently and that doesn't have a code narrative flow like other languages. Everything is built of objects and usually I'll have  a game handler object within each room - or use a game state system so the whole game can be run by duplicating the handler into multiple rooms, if required. Every object would have its own events system and the handler mainly keeps all of them working together correctly. It's possible to work round that to an extent - so I can have a rough idea how many lines of code I'd be using - but it would be messy and I'd hate to work that way.

Kind of like having an Aston Martin in your garage that you only use for school runs where the speed limit is a constant 20mph.

Don't forget we also had the isometric idea come up previously as well as the Match 3 concept - which hasn't resurfaced thus far.

Or we could even just go back to the basics of the original competition where Qube nominated an arcade game type and (Asteroids in this case) and everyone made their own take on it. I'm not sure how well that would go down with the guys that like to be challenged, however, but personally I find every game I write a challenge so I'd be happy with any kind of decent idea really. I've found I've always been able to adapt the concept into something that I've always wanted to do but failed or never started previously anyway. All five of my competition games - I'm including the one I didn't complete - have been based on some blitxmax project I've worked on and abandoned.

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Derron

If all of us are clever enough to not pirate existing ones (borrowing ideas is allowed): what about a "software board game"? I would of course also allow a "Mario Party"-style thing (boardgame + minigames).

Match-3: or a solitaire one or mahajongg ... or ... think of any other casual-game-exhausted genre ;-)

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

I'm with Xerra on this: about the limited number of lines - it's actually very difficult to limit or quantify what is a line and what is a library. And as stated different languages use lines very differently.

I also agree that all the entries complete or not has given the writers a challenge (one way or another - learning a new language, new concept, UI, etc)
Even something simple is rewarding to finish.

I do like the concept of 3d in 2d - but everything about that is not straightforward or simple... How would one approach an entry that wrote a 3d renderer in 2d?

As for the next ideas - I'll go with whatever bubbles it's way to the surface :)

3DzForMe

I'm with Derron on a collaborative project, everyone could have similar tasks, with collaboration we could drive each other to learn new skills, with the quality of the entrants last time, collaboration could realise something unique. :D

Derron

At least we would create a endless-discussion-thread with a new record of sub-pages :p

bye
Ron