General Category > Worklogs

Qube's Game Framework - The dreaded GUI

(1/14) > >>

Qube:
After doing a few games for the comps here the time has come to rewrite my very cheap and cheerful tools into something more productive and useful. I've been tinkering with extending my game framework and tools over the months but the underlining core was always the brute force quickest coding method used to initially create them due to the game comps time length.

So it's out the window with a shed load of code / tools and time to do things in a more orderly fashion \o/

It occurred to me that I'm going to need a GUI, arrrgggghhhhhh. I don't need a huge sophisticated GUI but I do need one that has all the basics that work well. Tonight I started on such GUI... More \o/ blah, I hate GUI's but it's needed.

I thought I'd chart my progress through the creation of the GUI and forthcoming tools in a worklog.

Without further ado, here's day one's progress. Which shows multiple windows and then selection of said windows ( very boring but GUI coders may appreciate it, honest! ). The goal of the GUI's side is to be very performant and I've tested it with 200+ windows and the frame rate remains super smooth.

Next step is to move the Windows around with the mouse. I bet ya can't wait for that video? :P

blinkok:
What language are you using? Blitz, AGK etc

Matty:
For a game....(not an editor...a game) - most guis probably just needs buttons, text fields, labels, editable text fields, panels and borders, and that's about all really isn't it?

blinkok:
Maybe listbox, radio button and checkbox as well
I'm not sure i've ever seen a game that uses drag able windows though. Not that i've seen many games

Qube:

--- Quote from: blinkok on April 09, 2019, 02:18:02 AM ---What language are you using? Blitz, AGK etc

--- End quote ---
It's AGK as when I get around to doing the tools like the tile map, level editor, sprite / animation editor, particle editor, etc. I want so see exactly how it'll look in the game. The idea is to have hot keys in the game to bring up certain tools so I can make changes, save and continue on testing in a live environment.

My goal here is to finally do a complete game dev toolset framework.

--- Quote from: blinkok on April 09, 2019, 02:35:35 AM ---I'm not sure i've ever seen a game that uses drag able windows though. Not that i've seen many games

--- End quote ---
Me either but at this stage it's for the tools which will be accessible during development and not an in-game GUI. Having said that the GUI will be multi-skinable ( as in multiple skins with the same GUI code base simultaneously ) so the more game based basic features can be used in a game if needed.

--- Quote from: Matty on April 09, 2019, 02:24:57 AM ---For a game....(not an editor...a game) - most guis probably just needs buttons, text fields, labels, editable text fields, panels and borders, and that's about all really isn't it?

--- End quote ---
I've worked out for the tools I'll be needing moveable windows, buttons, edit boxes, text areas, scroll bars / areas, radio buttons, tick boxes, dropdown boxes, list boxes, toggle switches, main menu, popup menus, progress bars. I don't need things like tabbed groups or multi column lists but if the need arises I'll add them in.

I'll also be doing a GUI designer so I'm not doing boring slow GUI stuff via code all the time. All the tools will be outputting source code and not just some markup language to parse through so for example in the level editor if I setup a sprite to move / animate around then it'll output source code rather than a script which then gets interpreted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version