Strata Nova

Started by iWasAdam, April 08, 2019, 07:52:20

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

the sun isn't shown, but I'm allowing for that with auto shadowing.

Don't forget there is NO 3d used - this is all 2d!

therevills

I actually like the wire-frame look!  8)

Derron

You might not use 3D stuff but still display it 3D and use the corresponding maths. Dunno how to describe that in other words.

@ sun
You know I did not mean it serious ?!

PS: I do not prefer the the wireframe look as it will look be pretty stuffed sooner or later. For a minimap or 80s "analysis screen" this might work well but for a sleezy scifi strategy game you can use a more cheering display variant.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

I've got an idea of merging the wireframe and 2d look into one system. So these are the tests of getting a flat rectangle to look like a solid orb.

Here with a shader and 3 different materials:

@Derron - the sun has been taken into account. the above is with the sun facing the planet. and here with the planets in front of the sun (shadowed):

You can also see that the planet surfaces are not static! - they can rotate and have the surface reflect the rotation as well

Just for Derron:
Nope, you can't use the same maths for 2d as you use for 3d. There are no matrix being used or depth. These are actually flat planes on the same canvas with no depth. Everything you see has had to be constructed from a flat image - No normals, no vertexes (apart from 4 corners), no lighting, no nothing! The things that are used are (my versions) of Spherical mapping, fisheye and some dirty uv mapping.

Here is the same with the last planet showing without and with the shader:

So you can see that the input is just a flat colored image...

Derron

Lighting looks cool.

Thanks for the explanation.

Maybe ... maybe we can whip up some procedural textures for the planets (We have users here in the forums doing stellar simulation games ... maybe they enjoy it). Different Ice planets and so on. Could be cool stuff.

Next to the planets yo will have to come up with "rings" (which should be split into two parts for "front" and "background" of a planet).

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

The textures are all taken care off...  8)

yep. ring would be simple to do

iWasAdam

So...(this is the concept photoshop version), we could end up with something like:

iWasAdam

Lets get carried away and dream...  :o

(spaceship not mine, just quickly photoshopped in)

iWasAdam

First integration test with shader:

basically you can see the far planets are behind and the near planets in-front, with the shader operating correctly as a sun.

Derron

This will look sweet with some parallax-effect in the background (1-2 layers of stars or even two dozen of "star objects" with individual depths for a more immersive scrolling). Especially when rotating the view.

Nonetheless - and I know how nice it is to "play around" - do not loose focus on the game itself.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

yep, star-fields would be nice :)

Shaders integrated, but shadow errors meant they are currently removed :(

iWasAdam

all corrected now with shadows and completely random planets and moons:

iWasAdam

There was going to be nothing to show for a while, but as I've been working on the starfield stuff. I thought someone might like to see the results:

and my favourite one:

Derron

Think it might look pretty nice when in movement.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Here it is in motion with me changing the visuals as it plays: