Maze Raider - The aMAZEing code a game comp entry

Started by Derron, September 02, 2018, 13:45:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

@ RemiD
Think you described something similar to what I found out yesterday (before leaving the computer for board games and booze :-)).

When I animate stuff in Blender, I of course pose the bones - and the bones are left in that position then (even if I play an animation which changes that). I did assume that this is not problematic as the original "T-Pose" (initial pose) is still there. If I did not set a specific action track ("various aligned animations") it would show that initial pose too.

And way more important: as said I tried animations with "global" visual appearance of each bone (so a global XYZ, global rotation, ...) and "local" ones. Means each animation did define the position of all bones right at frame 0 of the animation. Somehow this did not work as expected. I think it has to do with the way the "better collada exporter" and "blender godot exporter" handle animations. With Godot 3.1 an IK Solver will be available - but for now this is not existing and so every animation is "baked" behind the scenes. This means a 40 frames animation is not storing the keyframes but the position/location/scale at each single frame. This explains the huge file size (7.8mb for a 2.5mb model + animations).

I assume during this export they do not use the global position but some other stuff - resulting in the odd behaviour if you do not reset your characters pose to "Initial Pose" (so no transformations are done to the bones).
In Blender this is fairly easy to do: go into pose mode, "a" (to select all bones), "alt + s" and "alt + r" and "alt + g" to reset scale, rotation and position of the bones. done.

When then exporting the animations in Godot look fine.

@ more details
I only left the manual camera movement on but I could enable a follow-the-player-thing too - if desired. It was a bit "bugged" and needs some more love before I would let it loose on the players.
I created the assets for: the game screen and for the startup-render-screen and also I wanted to learn a bit more about texture painting.

bye
Ron

RemiD

About animations and weird poses, i saw a similar thing, when, by mistake, i had modified the orientations of some joints in "rigg mode" (when you create position / rotate the joints to make your TPose), and then the animations that i made previously were all weird (but in reality they were correct if the orientations of the joints in the TPose would have stayed at 0pitch,0yaw,0roll)

Similar thing when trying to merge an existing skeleton/rigg (from a motion capture app) to my own skeleton/rigg : the orientations of the joints in the TPose were not the same, so the animation poses ended up weird !

Derron

If there is interest I would upload a new version under an other Download link - so you can walk through the game in 3rd person (very buggy - which is why I disabled it) and a "follow player from bird perspective" mode.

bye
Ron

Derron

Here is an extra download:
- exposed camera modes via "c" (attention: 3rd person mode is pretty buggy controlwise)
- reduced volume of music even more (hope it is better now)
- fixed an issue with UV layouts of certain walls (they were not textured properly)
- fixed (hopefully) the animation issue (borked up vertices on the adventurers mesh)

Downloads (extra, so competition-downloads stay on old version):
https://www.gamezworld.de/files/mazeraider/Maze_Raider_v0.8.4.Linux64.7z
https://www.gamezworld.de/files/mazeraider/Maze_Raider_v0.8.4.MacOSX.zip
https://www.gamezworld.de/files/mazeraider/Maze_Raider_v0.8.4.Win32.7z
https://www.gamezworld.de/files/mazeraider/Maze_Raider_v0.8.4.Win64.7z

3DzForMe

Derron,

As suspected I did download the Win32 version. Upon looking where the executable was stored, for whatever reason,  double clicking the executable failed to result in any UI being presented, I tried it 3 times last night and even double clicked the .pck file, although suspecting that also wouldn't work.

Double clicking the executable this morning, after a restart, it worked. Good looking game, sound is also well done, congratulations on your entry.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Derron

Thanks.

Hope other games got your further attention too (as said, giving votes with judging certain games only by a screenshot might be a bit unfair for the authors of these games). Giving feedback (positive, negative, ...) or reporting bugs will help us all for further games (to make them more compatible, less bug-containing, ...)

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Yep, all the games got my attention, I fully appreciate the coding mountains that have to be climbed to achieve even my paltry entries in some of the previous competitions. Everyone that submitted an entry has achieved so much in their own right. The ones that got my votes yesterday raised a smile when playing for different reasons, when your entry ran this morning, I was very impressed with the UI and gameplay. It's just unfortunate (for whatever reason), it didn't run last night. The nuances of PC's, that's what makes completing something as an indie so rewarding, when they work. For your info, I'd to kill the three exes I'd tried to run via task manager last night. There was no Admin rights required to run the executable this morning, it just worked.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

iWasAdam

Hi Derron - just come across this (as I was away)
My thought were looks brilliant, sounds great. really like the style
Then the game starts and the only thing left is the music. it's becomes a simple top down maze.

My question would be this:
Why not start with the full view as presented, then zoom right down so you only see a ver small section of the maze and therefore see all the lovely 3d details? maybe a 3x3 or 4x4 square showing?

Derron

Thanks for the (initial) kind words.
You can use WASD to try this out (move and zoom camera).

I even had a 3rd person camera - but it looked a bit "wonky" and I did not have the time then to perfect the smooth/lerping of the angle-movement (when turning around).
As stated some posts earlier: try key "c" to switch camera modes.

Also a "minimap" (for development) is already in the code and could get displayed too ... in a zoomed camera view.
I had plenty of ideas for the game but ... it does not have the attention (read "downloads"/awareness) to justify more invested time. So all these competition entries here... are most of the time just for this community.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

The C for camera mode is more like it :)

I did notice the lighting flickering on and off at times and also the controls did not help.
up/down to move forward backwards, but left right only works half the time.

But I did like the general look and feel :)

Derron

Controls... Generally or when in another camera view mode?

Lights flicker on off... Should not happen except when refilling/setting on fire your torch there.

Might have to upgrade to Godot 3.1 and export then, maybe they have some fixes.

Bye
Ron