Spring - Blender Open Movie

Started by Qube, April 08, 2019, 00:56:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

We all know what Blender is, right?. An open source 3D modeller, animator, render, etc etc. Reputation for being hard to use unless you learn a zillion shortcuts to get over the crazy GUI. But it's free and free means meh!, not capable of professional results, right?

Here's what it can do in the right hands :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhWc3b3KhnY
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

therevills

Derron

With v2.80 they got way way more "gui accessible" (many icons etc.).

Spring was the second Blender movie which did not catch me. Visually of good quality (yet nothing unseen) but story-wise it lacked in many points - even for a short.

Best imho is still Big Buck Bunny.

Edit:
Do not get me wrong, the idea of the Blender Open Movies Project is cool as it brings forward the whole Blender "suite" (they create new features for the movie - which you can "later" find in the Blender software). But: the whole movie is funded by someone - maybe some governmental support but mainly user based crowd funding / monthly donators. So the coding, design, modelling, ... everything was kind of paid. It is no voluntary-sparetime-no-cost-project but a paid one. And even if the budget might be very low it has to compete with other paid projects then. Today's CGI movies have reached a certain visual and animation quality. Even "rip off"-movies (similar to the cinema blockbusters) look quite nice now. Think software has come a long way and if you added a little global illumination here and a bit of HDRI sky rendering there already helps to improve looks a huge step (to no longer look "cheap").
Big budget productions introduced volumetric clouds/fog, ... already so it became "known" to the viewer already. Now they improved the fire/smoke simulation in Blender the last years (remarkable the very recent past were only the quick fire/smoke setups - at least I am only aware of them). Nice - but as said not unseen.

Cute characters (with "attracting eyes") are also common for most toon-like productions of the last years.

So there is only the story left - and this time the story lacked much. On the first watch I did not understand why she got the bone while the "monster wardens" only got aggressive once she lost it, why the bone "jumped" for 100 metres a horizontal path, how a huge sized warden would catch it with his giant finger-feet - and ...
It misses little "explanative shots" here and there to make it followable on the first view - before you have seen it once and could interpret scenes with the "knowledge of the whole movie".
I understand that this "you have to watch multiple times" thing might be planned but I do not like it in such kind of CGI movies ("cute characters").

10 years old:

Other of interest (not one of the Open Movie projects but a planned feature film which was cut down to a short once the budget/funding failed):

Bye
Ron

3DzForMe

I used Blender to create (very!) Primitive 3D shapes and export them to Blitz3D format.

I recall a movie made with Blender some time ago which particularly impressed with, I need to dig it out.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Derron

I do all my 3D work with Blender - and am using it for a very long time (only in sparetime) and it is short cut driven yes but I pretty much like it the way it does things.

Only "pity" I have is that the current "View windows" are utilizing a lot of GPU - so without a decent GPU it feels way more sluggish. Of course one could use a less "realistic" view but it's like bringing a tasty cake with you to then say: nope, not for you - please take this supermarket bisquit meanwhile.

All in all CGI tools have gone a long way within the last decade - wonder why some of you still use "ancient" tools (fragmotion etc) - just because you are "used to"? (similar question for why to still use BlitzMax, B3D ... I know ;-).
I am asking as Blender (and others) have so helpful tools on board which speed up model creation (f2 tools are incredible helpful). Also Blender is still "lightweight" (in the sense of being fast to use). For me it just needs to have some alternative to substance painter (so a FOSS solution not looking like Armory Paint but more Photoshopish/Substance-Painter-esque).

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Very impressive what can be achieved with a free readily available piece of software, if you have the time and talent.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

Quote(similar question for why to still use BlitzMax, B3D ... I know ;-)

Not so much 'used to' - bit more of don't have the time to learn another language and its nuances for fun coding. Although, not sure if my fastlibs plug ins survived my dead C drive on my dev box.....

compilation of blender videos:

https://www.blenderguru.com/articles/27-inspiring-blender-animations-that-will-make-your-jaw-drop
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1