Voting time - 8-bit Wars game comp - Jan 25th to Mar 31st 2019

Started by Qube, April 08, 2019, 00:06:05

Previous topic - Next topic

therevills

Quote from: Qube on April 13, 2019, 02:37:47
Totals of downloads are really pathetic to be honest.

From itch Jack Deadly has had 53 downloads... no comments.

Wonder what Adam's Viva Mortis numbers are like...

Qube

QuoteFrom itch Jack Deadly has had 53 downloads... no comments.
Grab and run.. Sounds about right for this modern entitled generation. Not even a poxy "Thanks" but that would require effort going back to the site and expelling energy pressing keys on the keyboard.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

therevills

3DzForMe

My votes are in, I know not all people will (or can) play all entries. Nevertheless, I'd advocate a placement system for the next competition whereby points were awarded akin to Formula 1. Even if people only play the ones they like the look of and grade the others on how they at least look - this would award everyone for their efforts with some points.

I suppose what am driving at is that choosing 3rd place was very difficult for this competition due to the high standard of entrants.

[EDIT] My little old zip file was downloaded well into double figures, that s a win for me ;)

Seriously though, this competition actually inspired me to convert a trailer into a man cave so I could code in peace - never, ever thought I'd find so much coding mojo for that too occur. Cheers Qube for both adminning the forum and running the competitions.

As I get older games really have to draw me in, one really stood out for me in this regard. Awesome stuff all around. Well done to all competitors for their submissions - I know some had a little more bother than others pushing their code over the finishing line.

Post the competition I'll be releasing my source - warts and all - its not too pretty ;)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

iWasAdam

Yep, I downloaded and played all entries. and even bug-checked one. One didn't run unfortunately, but did give me an idea for a postmortum on how to prepare multiplatfrom games for basic distribution. How to compress, change icons, etc

There are a few things that (to me) have become very apparent with the contests:
1. 3d homebrew games (however rewarding to create) don't get peoples attention (I feel that AAA has saturated their brains so unless it matches that in look and operation - they're just not interested)
2. retro games (which wear retro big and proud) get's people interested
3. 2d homebrew games are simpler (in asset terms) to get to the finish
4. find a popular concept and twist it

therevills

Quote from: 3DzForMe on April 13, 2019, 06:21:21
Post the competition I'll be releasing my source - warts and all - its not too pretty ;)

The zip I downloaded BDA already contained some bb source files...  8)

Steve Elliott

Seriously though, this competition actually inspired me to convert a trailer into a man cave so I could code in peace - never, ever thought I'd find so much coding mojo for that too occur. Cheers Qube for both adminning the forum and running the competitions.

Great to hear.  I already have the man cave, but my programming mojo is right back even though I didn't finish in time.

I have some free time so will be giving all the games a good go today.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

​VivaMortis Source code now released.
https://adamstrange.itch.io/viva-mortis/devlog/76268/vivamortis-source-code-released

This is the mx2 source code. MX2 is a fork of the monkey2 programming language.

There are a number of support file not included (sound and graphics mainly), so IT WONT COMPILE. But it will allow you to see the entire source of the game, how things were done, how the game code is arranged etc.

Any thoughts, suggestions, desires. I'll do my best to help :)

3DzForMe

Quote.    I already have the man cave, but my programming mojo is right back even though I didn't finish in time     

My man cave jealousy has me cracking on with my man trailer, really need to waterproof the roof though... Kinda helps with computers and stuff in it.

Steve Elliott

My man cave jealousy has me cracking on with my man trailer, really need to waterproof the roof though... Kinda helps with computers and stuff in it.

lol every man needs a Man Cave, to get away from things and just do what makes him happy.   :D

Er yes, fix that roof, priority number 1.  And you are currently on very old hardware?  Just get a cheap laptop to continue with your coding mojo.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

Quote.    Er yes, fix that roof, priority number 1.  And you are currently on very old hardware?  Just get a cheap laptop to continue with your coding mojo.     

1. Got a cunning plan to fix the roof which should help with the insulation, it's quite a big job but It'll be worth it!

2. New hardware.....so tempted to push the boat out and get a re-furbed HP 840 G3. Problemo is it's hard to justify bar needing a 64 bit computer for a slice of Cerberus.

Do 64 bit computers really benefit from another 32 bits..... Or is it akin to having a 4.2 litre monster when a 6 speed 1.4 mini will do ?

Xerra

I checked the downloads for Damnation Alley after reading this. I'm even worse, really. I've got 36 so far but I think that's better than I got for Bah, Humbug! but I'd expect that because that game was very Xmas themed. No comments at all - and no actual ratings so far either, which is disappointing too. I didn't flag on Facebook about this game because I'd dumped my account on there by the time I released it. I did tweet once, post a link in the Gamemaker forums - as I've done with all my compo games - and put it into email signatures. Not much else, apart from joining the forums where Derron showed our games were being discussed to see if I could get some feedback there.

I think Envahi still has the most downloads of my games but that could kind of be expected as it's been online for over a year now and I've found it has the same number of views when any of my other games are looked at on a daily basis. That's why I like hosting on Itch - analytics are useful.

I did notice Itch.IO actually tweeted about one of the compo games the other day - Gravitus - so that's probably had a huge boost from that little plug. Well deserved, too.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Qube

One game has a whopping 32% of the votes :o

Anymore votes going to come in? or are we all done with the voting?
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

:D
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Until the next time.