Winner of Code a game competition - 8-bit Wars - Jan 25th to Mar 31st 2019

Started by Qube, April 17, 2019, 05:04:51

Previous topic - Next topic

3DzForMe

Thanks again to Qube for hosting this competition - the level of the entries I believe would struggle to be surpassed by any other indie forums currently.

Here's my feelings regarding the entries - I confess getting my entry to the finish line proved problematic - especially when my Windows 7 computer DIED on the deadline submission day - which coincided with Mothers Day and my Wife's birthday ;). I suppose it gave me a chance to do some housework on the Sunday morning whilst the XP OS I found was installing to allow me to get my dev files of the computer.

Xerra, thankyou for your detailed feedback on my BDA - I've answered your comments on my game log - I was aware of these things however the sands of time ran out on me - also I wrote this from scratch - I'm sure there are better ways than a multi-dimensional array to store room data - however I liked forging ahead with my second concept of how to hang an adventure together, I know prior planning prevents pee pee performance - all part of the fun going with the flow ;)

One of the entries that really stood out for me were Damnation Alley - I was a huge Spyhunter fan, albeit on the Speccy, loved Xerra's interpretation of the game, the soundtrack drew you in, the attention to detail of the graphics, for example the 'wheels going around', I though was great. I'm not doing negatives - don't like being -ve too  much....

Viva Mortis graphics really stood out for me, unfortunately it would not run on my 32-ibt system(s). I was also a huge Knight Lore fan.... some 3.5 decades ago! All the graphics implemented within this game blew me away, but because I couldn't play it islipped to equal 4th - as did many of the other entries. Very hard to choose the top 3, I still advocate a Formula 1 esque scoring system for the next competition.

ZX Speccy Vol#1 - loved the different games featured within this - especially the Bomb Da City game - took me back to doing a stop frame animation of a similar thing on the Amiga in DPaint IV AGA.

Genus Prime - just awesome game mechanics and dynamics. I reckon you'd have bought an old mini cooper at least with the proceeds from this back in the day! A deserving winner!

Tiny Tales - Really like the graphical style on this game - however  I need to dedicate more time to appreciating the gameplay.

Jack Deadley - great 2d Platformer which my daughter got pleasingly frustrated with - I seem to have outgrown 2d platformers amongst other game types of late (which is a reflection on me not your game!), although I did get passed level 1 ;) Great graphics and sound.

Arc of Valtana - I loved how the narrative set this game up, immersing you from the outset. I could've taken a leaf or two out of your book for 'less random game scripting...' ;) Great graphics - your loading screen managed moving lines (unlike my pathetic attempt at moving lines - as usual I suffered substantial requirements creep - tried to implement too much).

I loved the soundtrack with this and the user interface design, I'm just not much of a 2D platformer these days - despite having coded my own 2D platformers in ZX Basic a little while ago!
Simple! - Sorry, I didn't get past the loading screen, tried pressing a number of keys - apologies for not playing the game/ Maybe include a 'press {this button}' on your next games loading page to start?

Gravitus - struggled to play this due to it crashing on my 2 32 bit windows system - great looking gameplay though!

Fireball Dungeon - Liked the retro feel of the look and feel of your game, liked how the life bar decremented smoothly and  it worked within a Web Browser, which still impresses me what can be done in a Web Browser these days.

QuoteI was very impressed with the shear quality of entries for this comp. Guess I'll have to move up another gear for the next one ;D

Likewise, level of entries really smashed the ball out of the park, I've gotta find a replacement for my first gear for the next competition - a few of the teeth are missing from it  :o
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Derron

Quote from: Qube on April 18, 2019, 22:38:41
So sorry for the slight delay in sending the prize funds over but it will happen :)

No problem, I've a fair interest rate :p

Seriously: Think we aren't in a hurry and there is no need to change postal address.

@ 3DzForMe
Thanks for your short review summary of each game.

bye
Ron

Morpheus

Back from my Easter break; Congrats to the winners...

And thanks for the votes for my game  ;D

Cheers,

Aaron

Qube

All the winners have now been sent their prize via PayPal. Sorry for the delay :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Just want to confirm.. received and kids will enjoy it in some way ;-)

Thanks a lot.

Bye
Ron

Qube

Quote from: Derron on May 05, 2019, 23:27:05
Just want to confirm.. received and kids will enjoy it in some way ;-)
Buy them a license for AGK? ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Quote from: Qube on May 05, 2019, 23:41:56
Buy them a license for AGK? ;D

kid 1) 3yrs
kid 2) 11months

I bet this licence would be ... out-of-date once they could use it ;-)

bye
Ron