April 25, 2019, 04:23:34 AM

Author Topic: Internet Speeds...  (Read 211 times)

Offline therevills

Internet Speeds...
« on: April 04, 2019, 02:30:29 AM »
For some reason Telstra has upped our cable internet speed from 50Mbps to 100Mbps:

;D

Now that is great... but our area has recently been NBN enabled, so we will need to migrate from Telstra Cable to Telstra NBN Cable (as we are in a two year contract)... which costs $10 p/m more and back down to 50Mbps speed... 1st world problems I know!  :P

We need to move onto the NBN in the next 12 months... think I'll put it off for a few months now.

Offline MikeHart

• Cerberus-X Dev Team
    • Cerberus X
Re: Internet Speeds...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:05:48 AM »
Never try live streaming with that upload speed.

Offline Derron

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:12:33 AM »

Signed for 100mbit down (and crawling 5 in up) four years ago, after a year they upgraded to 200/10 without announcement (seems to be a "6 months test period"). Since then I am on 200/10 for the same price.
Speeds are even a bit higher than for what I've signed up.

Glad I am not belonging to "generation youtube" who streams all his live or work into the internet - maybe I need it somewhen but till then my internet connection surely got an upgrade already (so does the needed stream quality ... so vicious circle).

bye
Ron

Offline MikeHart

• Cerberus-X Dev Team
    • Cerberus X
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 07:19:44 AM »
We have 100/40  which are usually 90/35 in real life
 Ping about 10msec. Perfect for my son who relies on it (twitch)

Offline Derron

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 08:17:51 AM »
Let's see if twitch really blocks us EU users :)
If so you could downgrade to save some money. Haha.

bye
Ron

Offline MikeHart

• Cerberus-X Dev Team
    • Cerberus X
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 10:50:18 AM »
We will see. I have feeling Twitch will do just that but YT will come up with some payed live stream thingy where only certified creators can stream.
We will see. Imho the EU shot itself in the foot with that regulation. It is only good for publishers and collecting services. The creators will not benefit from it.

Offline c0d3r9

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 12:06:45 PM »
At some point it will be time to look for a good VPN service outside the EU.
Laptop: Win10@64bit - i3 2x2Ghz - 8GB Ram - 1TB HDD
Desktop: Win10@64bit - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G - MSI B450 Tomahawk - 8GB Ram - 240GB SSD

Offline MikeHart

• Cerberus-X Dev Team
    • Cerberus X
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 01:36:08 PM »
At some point it will be time to look for a good VPN service outside the EU.
For the viewer it might be a solution. For creators not.

Offline col

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 11:08:17 AM »
For some reason Telstra has upped our cable internet speed from 50Mbps to 100Mbps
We have just upgraded our service here too. I was going to complain that we're not getting what we are paying for but it's plenty fast enough and cheap too...

Any bugs in my code are proof of its hand-coded nature.
https://github.com/davecamp

Offline Derron

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 11:22:06 AM »
I remember the time we had our first 10base-T network will all the t-connectors etc. Was cool once the first IPX network games run over it (warcraft 2 and Doom I think). Glad we rapidly "evoluted" to more modern stuff. And as my father convinced me to do proper lan cable connections when moving in I am gigabit ready for many years now - with all cables behind walls or within "cable covers". As we did it properly we also use these cables to transport telephone etc. - including back-channel (don't ask why). Think it also is cooler to plug a network cable into a wall socket than to have all these metres long cables laying behind furniture etc.
Only ugly looking thing are the gigabit switches (2x with 8 slots ... connecting the whole non-wifi-stuff). I know, there are rackets with more slots but they were more expensive than two simple 8port switches.

@ col
so for what are you using the 600mbit upload? Webcam-boy? ;-D

bye
Ron

Offline col

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 11:35:57 AM »
so for what are you using the 600mbit upload? Webcam-boy? ;-D
Oo-er haha. Nah no such thing.
It's just one of the high speed packages available... and only 20sgd per month. We get a full 1Gb when we lan into the router 8^) (but unlike what you have done there that would mean wires behind the furnitures so we use wi-fi) and we could have got a faster package too if we really want it... 1st world problems indeed :))
Any bugs in my code are proof of its hand-coded nature.
https://github.com/davecamp

Offline Derron

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 11:41:20 AM »
So 13 euro a month, not bad. Think i pay about 40 including telephone.
And of course i never thought to use 200mbit down - but for many months now I switch linux mirrors if the remaining download time shows 10 minutes or so - as the mirror switching is done faster than the speed improvement (10min vs 2-3 min).
Others are glad to get a 6000k connection (or even slower).

Not to think about what swirls around in the air with all that wifi / antenna / ... stuff. Sheer data masses right in front of your nose.

bye
Ron

Offline c0d3r9

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 11:51:48 AM »
Imagine you have a x-men feature to see such data streams...hehe
I pay 19.95 euro for my 100/40 dsl connection.And every year an additional 70 euros so I get this price.
Include dsl/telefon+sim card with telefonflat and 100mb data.
Laptop: Win10@64bit - i3 2x2Ghz - 8GB Ram - 1TB HDD
Desktop: Win10@64bit - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G - MSI B450 Tomahawk - 8GB Ram - 240GB SSD