What do you use AGK classic for

Started by Pfaber11, April 19, 2019, 11:45:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

Was just wondering what you use AGK classic for . All my games so far have been aimed at the windows platform but am thinking  of developing for Android shortly . Might try altering a couple of my programs . Is it a lot of work to convert pc games created with AGK classic to run on Android . Would be cool to get something on play store.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

TomToad

Most AGK games will run unmodified on mobile. You just need to export to apk.  Only real problems is if your code relies on some platform specific settings, such as hard coded screen size or reading from keyboard.

Mobile ports automatically scale the screen size to fit your device and also creates a virtual joystick for you.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Qube

QuoteIs it a lot of work to convert pc games created with AGK classic to run on Android . Would be cool to get something on play store.
Strictly speaking it could be no work at all apart from exporting the APK.

Of course you'll need to have all your controls screen based via touch ( unless you are supporting bluetooth gamepads ). You may need to optimise your game to work on lower powered Android devices if for example you load in lots of individual sprites. Ideally if you're aiming at supporting the most audience then all your in-game graphics should be on one texture atlas to reduce draw calls to maximise speed.

Also keep in mind that Android devices have many different resolutions and aspect ratios so use the SetVirtualResolution command and then AGK will scale up / down based on the hardware your game is running on. If your game is meant to be played in portrait or landscape mode then make sure to lock it to that with the SetOrientationAllowed command.

Lastly the Google PlayStore has an APK limit of 100mb so if your game exceeds that you'll need to have media download as an expansion pack ( AGK has commands for this ).

I think that covers the extreme basics :)

Quickest way to gauge what your game will look like on your phone / tablet and what needs fixing / changing is to download the AGK player from the PlayStore and then you can broadcast your game directly to your phone for testing, so need to create an APK and install every time you want to test it on your device.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

QuoteMost AGK games will run unmodified on mobile. You just need to export to apk.  Only real problems is if your code relies on some platform specific settings, such as hard coded screen size or reading from keyboard.

This is quite interesting, was having a play with an old demo of AGK yesterday - I'll be interested to see its APK creation capabilities.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Pfaber11

Well I've converted 2 of my games to run on Android had to redo the controls and change the instructions . To do two games took about six hours  this included testing and getting them up onto the itch.io site . If you want to take a look my site is
https://myfreepcgames.weebly.com

Oh by the way I have 2 sites . kind  of don't put all your eggs in one basket. Here's my other site.
https://pfaber1.wixsite.com/myfreepcgames

My websites were free and I'm quite pleased with them.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Pfaber11

I was looking at switching to pure basic but the reason I didn't was I couldn't get the ogre engine to work on my laptop. I'm glad I didn't swap now as pure basic won't run on Android as AGK classic does although pure basic is supposed to be really fast which is what made me look at it in the first place . It's taken me just over a year to get into AGK classic and I've put in about 400 hours  into it so know my way around ok. Don't get me wrong I am no master but with every new project I become a bit more competent . Might upgrade to AGK studio when it has had it's official release and all the bugs have been ironed out . Happy Easter . Bonjour