Mark considering shutting down Monkey 2

Started by ThickO, March 30, 2019, 12:25:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

You cannot take something from "FOSS". You can change the licence for upcoming code but that's it.

Let's see what skid makes out of it - he could always write something for NG ;-)

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

@Krischan,

Quote.    I've never really seen any sense in the Monkey "thing".   

Being able to compile for multiple platforms had its appeal, in truth though, despite buying MonkeyX, I only ever achieved anything of note in HTML5 with Monkey, an online data parser of all things.

Yep, it's a shame MonkeyX forums have gone.... As the previous forums.

However, I'm not sure the Blitz forums may have managed the outlandish quality that has been presented in the latest coding compo. And, easily 90 percent of my hobby coding has been done within Blitz products.

I'm getting to long in the tooth to learn new stuff.... So I'll be coding in Blitz products for the foreseeable. Although the MonkeyX forums doing a vanishing act still irks me.

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Qube

QuoteI've never really seen any sense in the Monkey "thing".
Yeah, I bought it thinking it'd be the next evolution of BlitzMax without trying a demo first. Hated the style from the outset as it was no longer a BASIC variant but a bastardisation of other languages. I did try many times to "get into it" but in the end it just didn't gel and judging by the community I wasn't alone. Of course, how do you fix this... You ditch another paid product and do Monkey 2 \o/ #MindBoggling which has even less of an audience than Monkey-X. But you all know this :P

Thank God the Cerberus-X guys are breathing new life into it. At least that's some saving grace for Monkey-X owners / users.

QuoteAlthough the MonkeyX forums doing a vanishing act still irks me.
I bought Blitz2D, Blitz3D, BlitzPlus, BlitzMax and Monkey-X and all the forums for those have been dumped so that irks me too :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Never paid for a licence ;-)
- BlitzMax: got the licence by someone who took over programming of TVTower in 2005 or so (started earlier in Delphi - he went to C and later to BlitzMax - until he lost interest)
- Monkey-X: won the licence in a compo (Ape's Banana Conquest - free web game and buyable in the amazon app shop - with 0 sales in 4 years or so)

Disliked Monkey-X' case-sensitivity. Especially as you have to use "TED" (or another of these "IDEs") to auto-correct your lower-case written commands. I prefer to be able to write in the text editors of my choice.

What I liked whas the lightweight character of the Monkey-X JS-runtime. Just compare what you will load when you do an "Html 5 export" with Godot, Unity, ... you will have way way bigger downloads (bigger runtimes... and no modularization).

I think "output wise" all the BRL languages were cool. They created kind of "efficient" code. You felt that this was a product of someone knowing his own developed toolchain not some "put or bought together stuff".

bye
Ron

Rick Nasher

Purchased BlitzBasic 2.1 on the Amiga, then when I found out about Blitz3d, I first tried out an, ashamed to say, pirated version to see if it could do what I wanted. I then purchased it to support BRL even though it was somewhat aging.

And of course got Plus and Max after he set them free. But they individually  they weren't my favs. They should have merged the command set and features with Blitz3D. Then it would have all made sense.

Silly really, how all went down hill.

BTW: Godot is looking better all the time..
I now understand why AGK is trying to catch up so quickly.

3DzForMe

Yep, my first Blitzbasic was 2.1 on the old Amiga - which still works incredibly - desk husbandry needs a bit of work though;)

I bought Blitz2D, Blitz3D, BlitzPlus (was embedded in the version of Blitz3D I bought), BlitzMax and Monkey-X and all the forums for those have been dumped so that irks me too :P

Yeah got all those, although MonkeyX needed the forums to get anywhere I found - with perseverance you could. Can't go the way of cerberus till I shell out for a 64 bit PC. Still, B3D kinda cuts some mustard - give M Sibly his due there.  A great software tool developer doesn't necessarily equate to a great marketing bod, hey-ho there you go. Still pleased Blitz stuff existed - can't imagine I'd I've been anywhere near the geek I am today without them.  :))

Godot does look quite impressive....

ms62

I stopped supporting Monkey 2 on Jan 1, 2018. I wanted to give it a year, but after few months since the discussion here, I gave up on it.
Blitz3D was good with Fast Libraries. Its language was not good for me. I am C fan.
I liked BlitzMax language and its 2D. Xors3D was good too.
I liked Monkey language, but never seriously used it.
I never used Monkey 2 seriously, I was just hoping that it would become a good software which never happened. Monkey 2 was the worst BRL product in my view.
Blitz3D - BlitzMax community was the best in the world.
Generally speaking, I don't regret spending money on BLR products. I had good times with them, except the last one.
I am glad Mark got a C++ job and is like many probably under corporate dictatorial discipline. Maybe he learn something beyond coding.

degac

Just for curiosity, someone have news from Mark Sibly?
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

Santiago

If i just have a Blitz3D with more power tools, to process more information, more entity, i would need another language.

it is a shame as the product line was killed, it would have been good if in some way, with the community it continues to develop ... but I know it is very difficult and frustrating in a world full of unity and other softs

I hate Unity, the way it uses to develop, its interface, its world of options and buttons ...

unfortunately I could not find a replacement that gives me more advantages than Blitz3D continues to give me today.

The graphics are a limitation, but nowadays if I want graphics I download last generation games that are fascinating, a game that an independent developer hardly manages to match no matter how good it is.

But to develop ideas, to make applications and games for museums and events, Blitz3D remains fast, RELIABLE, dynamic.

I have games in museums that have been running for 3 years without stopping (without bugs), without failures.

the low demand of blitz to PCs, makes the PC last longer, that does not generate problems ...

I can run games with cheap old computers.

As in carpentry, there are always modern tools, but that doesn't make old tools obsolete.

3DzForMe

@Santiago:

As in carpentry, there are always modern tools, but that doesn't make old tools obsolete.
Repo   

Yep, so true. From my pov, I achieved phenomal things in B3D, beyond my imagination. I started coding on a spectrum decades ago. I don't code so much now bud, c'est la vie.  ;D ;D

GrindalfGames

Ive looked at many alternatives and never found anything like Blitz3D. Its so easy and fast to use.

Xaron

Quote from: degac on April 04, 2020, 14:46:36
Just for curiosity, someone have news from Mark Sibly?

He's still active on Twitter and has a full time paid job as a C++ dev. That's all I know.