Mark considering shutting down Monkey 2

Started by ThickO, March 30, 2019, 12:25:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

Shocker! I've been waiting for that announcement since before Mark even got a real job. Unfortunately he just can't be bothered anymore and dumping the community on a whim was inevitably the beginning of the end.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Unfortunately he just can't be bothered anymore and dumping the community on a whim was inevitably the beginning of the end.

Yeah, a sad way to fizzle out.   :(
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

Reading that post I assumed he just meant shutting down the website and putting Monkey 2 somewhere else.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Steve Elliott

Reading that post I assumed he just meant shutting down the website and putting Monkey 2 somewhere else.

;D

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5e25b7c6-8923-415e-84f3-d9b6bfe50066
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

Ouch!

Not good news, but expected.

There were so few people who used it and Mark managed to bugger them off by design or madness...

Amon

Naughty Alien

..not really a surprise, but still sad to read..sigh..

round157

I don't know too much about this Monkey 2 programming language.

Nevertheless, I have a very good solution for this programming language and its community. 

Some talented and experienced Monkey 2 users from Monkey 2's community should continue developing this software. In addition, a new name should replace the old name. My suggestion is Monkey NG. Furthermove, Qube can set up a Monkey NG  sub-forum as the official forum for Monkey NG.

The above solution can help this language and this language's community. Moreover, the above solution will also make SyntaxBomb forum more active. Right? Is my solution perfect?

Derron

Quote from: round157 on March 30, 2019, 14:52:50
[...]
Right? Is my solution perfect?

No.

If there was almost no activity in the monkey2 forums then this won't become better if someone wants to keep a project alive in its sparetime. And if that one wasn't the original author with the knowledge of all the basics in the tool this will become even worse.

Maybe Mark should commit some fixes for BMX NG and make it emscripten compatible. There might be more people using BMX than monkey 2 - and I bet both (active) user bases are in the low 3 digits (else I would expect way more buzz here).

bye
Ron

round157

Quote from: Derron on March 30, 2019, 15:08:58
Quote from: round157 on March 30, 2019, 14:52:50
[...]
Right? Is my solution perfect?

Maybe Mark should commit some fixes for BMX NG and make it emscripten compatible. There might be more people using BMX than monkey 2 - and I bet both (active) user bases are in the low 3 digits (else I would expect way more buzz here).

My language knowledge is limited. What is "make it emscripten compatible"? BlitzMax NG looks very different from Monkey 2.

Derron

BlitzMax was once let-go by Mark Sibly for Monkey X
Monkey X was put on ... "maintenance mode" for Monkey 2.

BlitzMax NG is done for some years now by Brucey. It gained some more supported platforms than BlitzMax: so Linux, Mac, Windows (BlitzMax) and additionally iOS, Android, rasPi, NX/Switch-development-devices. It does that by converting blitzmax-language to "C" (plus a ton of little adjustments here and there for android/ios ...) and the help of some libraries like SDL which support these platforms.
To make it produce "html5" stuff it would need to be able to work flawless with emscripten. For now emscripten and the Garbage Collector used in Blitzmax NG are not keen to get  best friends -> html5 target not working/incomplete.

bye
Ron

Rick Nasher

Now why-oh-why aren't we surprised.
Good to see that he expects the language to develop itself, all-by-itself.

Just how I expect my games/apps to be building itself *not*.

Let's face it his commitment and insight is no longer there.
Such a pity for I and many others were fans of his work(well I loved, Blitz-Basic Amiga and Blitz3D).

Still think the path he should have walked is:
1. Merge Blitz3D with Plus, sell it as Blitz3D V2.
2. Add stuff from Max and *then* sell it as Blitz3D V3.
3. Add stuff community asked about for ages( like x64, in-built shadows, physics etc) - sell it as Blitz3D V4.
4. rewrite for multiple platforms and call it Blitz3D V5 - Multi Platform.
5. Add a visual editor a la unity for 2d & 3d.

No name/product confusion, no alienating you customers, sound PR and a steady progress.
But hey who am I.

Guess he got too ambitious, scared by the likes of Unity and Blitz clone like languages and just doesn't have a keen bizz insight or probably... all of the above.

Most good coders usually do not understand the 'real' world(if there is such a thing).

Steve Elliott

BlitzMax and Max3D running reliably on Windows, Mac and Linux is all the community ever wanted IMO, but he lost his way/got bored.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

I never saw Max as a finished product, wasn't running straight from box, so gave me the feel of being a proto-type with an unfinished 3D engine, which he didn't even support anymore after a lengthy wait. :(

This was left to community/abandoned in favor for Monkey(what a silly name for a serious product anyway  :o), which was in turn ditched for Monkey2/X. ::)

I think most dev's nowadays realize you have to support a wide platform range amongst which iOS and Android if you wanna make some decent money.  The code once, distribute to many feature really helps, but needs to be done well of course.

Doesn't sound like a very good product business continuity plan.
More like a car driving full speed towards a cliff without any brakes or steering abilities.
Or to say in a non verbal way: ;)