AGK Studio - Feature Requests..

Started by Rick Nasher, March 24, 2019, 01:31:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Elliott

IMO C++ these days is an over engineered, over complicated language.  Because they keep adding and adding and adding, and changing.  C with some basic C++ features is where sanity prevails I think.

As for memory management I prefer C++ for games because you really need to be in control of when memory is released to keep things running smoothly.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

QuoteStos was excellent in it's day but still too slow to be of any real use
I never had an Atari ST but I know AMOS / AMOS Pro was no better in the speed department. In AMOS anything more than a handful of sprites / bob's would result in slow down. It was terrible for that. As Steve said, the compiler helped but it wasn't suited for arcade games. Blitz was far superior in that department.

Having said that I did love AMOS Pro and wrote a few games and apps with it. It had a great charm about it but I just wished it was faster for games.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

GaborD

Language discussion: For indie 3D games the important languages are GLSL and HLSL.  :P
Those are the ones that will make or break how your game looks and performs. You could even argue the same for 2D.
With the exception of some very specific game types like heavy simulations (but even those could be powered by the GPU) the CPU side game loop will run fast enough anyway, no matter the language.
I would even argue coding altogether (including the shaders) is not the important part, but rather your knowledge as game designer, tech artist and as 3D artist. But that's kinda off-topic.

GaborD

Original topic: good suggestions.

- agree on Physics, a feature rich stable fast system would be great to have.
- async loading, yes please. Very useful for a lot of users. You can kinda fake it with memblocks and whatnot, but meh. Huge hassle. Should be supported engine side.
- vertex commands - yes good addition, the current memblock based system is very cumbersome to use. NB had some really simple to use commands for these things, something similar would be great.
- 3D editor: yes, but as addon. It shouldn't mess with the core systems or force you to jump through hoops to customize rendering. Because right now, anyone who is going for a bit higher quality has a custom render chain set up and needs to make their own custom editors for their sytems and projects.
- spotlights... that's very specific :), I'd say they need to rework the entire rendering chain, and especially lighting. Make it a bit more modern. I think this costs them a ton of potential customers at the moment. AGK has the power to look fantastic, it should do so out of the box.

Pfaber11

yes I know what you guys are saying is good advice and I still have python on my computer . Have a really excellent day.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Qube

Quote from: GaborD on May 08, 2019, 02:00:25
Original topic: good suggestions.

- agree on Physics, a feature rich stable fast system would be great to have.
- async loading, yes please. Very useful for a lot of users. You can kinda fake it with memblocks and whatnot, but meh. Huge hassle. Should be supported engine side.
- vertex commands - yes good addition, the current memblock based system is very cumbersome to use. NB had some really simple to use commands for these things, something similar would be great.
- 3D editor: yes, but as addon. It shouldn't mess with the core systems or force you to jump through hoops to customize rendering. Because right now, anyone who is going for a bit higher quality has a custom render chain set up and needs to make their own custom editors for their sytems and projects.
- spotlights... that's very specific :), I'd say they need to rework the entire rendering chain, and especially lighting. Make it a bit more modern. I think this costs them a ton of potential customers at the moment. AGK has the power to look fantastic, it should do so out of the box.
Agree to all that :) - I do hope after they get the Vulkan engine in they go about improving the whole 3D side as it really could do with a better system. At a basic level I'd like to see improved shadows and lighting ( volumetric lighting would be nice to have ). Also cube mapping would he handy along with full FULL support for the FBX file format.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Pfaber11

We want to have machine code please.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Rick Nasher

If you like the features I've requested than please add your +1 on GitHub here:
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/AGK-Studio/issues/180

That way we have a higher chance of getting them implemented, otherwise I'd be just one man in the crowd, screaming for help.

I've also requested  " Append Toolbar to Menu" as in the new AGC2/Classic Geany.

https://github.com/TheGameCreators/AGK-Studio/issues/328