Programming Language

Started by johnno56, March 20, 2019, 05:17:36

Previous topic - Next topic

johnno56

The installation of the libaudio-dev did the trick and stopped the error.

I ran most of the 'samples' and all but one game displayed 'way' to big. It was like watching a magnified corner of the display. I am not familiar with BMX or what to look for in the programs to check screen settings...

I suppose I can compare the game that did run with one that didn't and see if I can spot something... this is going to be fun...

Thanks for the help so far...

J
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.

johnno56

DaiHard,

It's been a long time since I have seen BBC stuff run. Installed BBCSDL. Already had the dependencies installed and it ran "out of the box". Interesting IDE choices... Time to break out my ancient listings...

Thank you.

J

Live long and prosper.

Derron

Quote from: johnno56 on March 21, 2019, 10:04:39
I ran most of the 'samples' and all but one game displayed 'way' to big. It was like watching a magnified corner of the display. I am not familiar with BMX or what to look for in the programs to check screen settings...

Which one worked - which not?

I use NG for my game TVTower (tvtower.org) and nobody reported such an issue yet. Maybe it is a driver-thing? Which linux, which gpu driver (vendor binary blob or FOSS drivers) ?

Do you talk about "fullscreen" or "windowed"? I mean: does it change your desktop resolution?

bye
Ron

johnno56

The only game that worked was "tiledrop". So far all of the other samples are too big. The display is not windowed. I will attempt to attach some screenshots. My resolution is 1920x1080 and is only changed while the samples are running.
First is "system info", "Zombieblast" and "Astar Demo".

Live long and prosper.

Steve Elliott

Does anything work properly on Linux?   ;D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

My linux box works - except for some wine based application executions ;-)

@ johnno56
Maybe you should remove the 3rd+ parameters of the "graphics" command. so
graphics 800,600,0,32
becomes
graphics 800,600

I think in "windowed" mode it works - and it is a matter of running these apps in fullscreen on your computer.

If you are interested in solving this issue, feel free to create a thread within the BlitzMax subforum here (or Qube extracts our posts into a new thread...).
Some samples will use the default graphics drivers - while with NG you gained access to SDL - and so the "gl2sdl"-graphics driver. Maybe thinks work better there. But as said - we should better discuss this in another thread/topic.

bye
Ron

johnno56

I have been experimenting with the screen resolutions within each samples and have found that, in just about all of them, they can be modified to fit my screen. I am impressed by the quality of the samples. I think I will be looking for some tutorials....

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

J

Live long and prosper.

johnno56

Quote from: Steve Elliott on March 21, 2019, 11:54:57
Does anything work properly on Linux?   ;D

Oh, very funny. Ho, ho, it is to laugh... lol

I have been using Linux now for 14 years. Initially, because I didn't do my homework, it was a bit of a dog's breakfast installing and running. But now, I can install and run a Linux OS, almost in my sleep. lol (well, NOT actually, lol) There are some Windows programs that I miss... But, no so much, as I have found alternatives... and "free". In the last 14 years I have not been effected by viruses (is that the right word?) or malware. So, over all, yes. 'Things' DO run on Linux and very well... But thanks for asking...

Have a great day.

J

Live long and prosper.

johnno56

Quote from: DaiHard on March 21, 2019, 09:46:49
If you are a BASIC fan, you could look at BBC BASIC for SDL:

http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcsdl/

It's free, cross-platform, and uses SDL2 to provide graphics support which should be suitable for games.

Best wishes,

D

I tested BBCSDL on an old "Lunar Lander" program. Firstly, I found out the either IDE is VERY picky about the "case" of reserved/command words and also does not like it when I accidentally change the "case" of variables... lol
Once the program was debugged it ran... and finished. There were no errors... The program ran as it was supposed to do. But finished WAY too quickly. I suppose, back when it was originally written, most machines ran at a 4mhz CPU... Running it on a quad core i5.... Well, i'm not surprised that it ran so fast... I'm not complaining. There is probably a way to "slow" things down, but as I am new to BBC, I'm going to have to do some homework.

Thank you for the link... and the memories... Cool.

J

Live long and prosper.

therevills

Quote from: johnno56 on March 21, 2019, 20:48:18
Firstly, I found out the either IDE is VERY picky about the "case" of reserved/command words and also does not like it when I accidentally change the "case" of variables... lol

Since you are Linux guy (14 years), you should be very much on board with case sensitivity  :)

johnno56

I am. But it seems that BBCSDL is not clairvoyant... well, that's my excuse, lame as it is...   :))

Live long and prosper.

DaiHard

Hi John,

There's a setting in the "options" to force upper case keywords, or to allow lower case keywords. The default is upper case. In the latter, you have to be extra careful not to have variables that match the keywords (especially the first few letters).

Yes, variables are case-sensitive, which means you can have more of them!  :-)

Running fast - yes, in the "old days" we all just let everything run as fast as possible, in the hope it would be fast *enough*, but these days often you need to slow it down/run it to a timer. Both approaches are possible: you can either use WAIT statements (e.g. WAIT 1 waits 1 centisecond), or you can set/read the TIME pseudovariable, so you can ensure that you don't continue with the next loop until a certain time after the last loop ran, for example. For finer time measurements there's a TIMERLIB which you can install and use.

Including a WAIT has the added merit it gives the CPU a rest/chance to do something else, so in situations where the program spends a lot of time waiting for user input it's often good to include a WAIT statement inside the polling loop. Saves a lot of battery power/heat.

Hope that's helpful,

D

peteswansen

How about "Scratch".... its recommended in the Linux versions I have installed on my Raspberry PI's

Pfaber11

I would suggest AGK2 although it's not free when it goes on sale which it regularly does it can be had for 25 to 30 quid . I waited and got it for 25 over a year ago. I consider it to be really cool and you can export your games to mobile and write on Linux too. I tried it on Linux and it works very well a while back. Been looking at PureBasic myself and it just reinforced my liking for AGK2. AGKstudio is to be released officially in June and will be using the Vulken engine which will apparently give a 20% speed increase I think it launches on 10th june so only 5 or 6 weeks until it's released. I think if I had no money and wanted a language for free I might look at Python which is supposed to be easy to learn and is looked upon as a professional language ( I think) . I tried visual basic about 10 years ago but the results were pretty crap. Great for forms but for games I think it's rubbish . Methods . hmm. I believe VB is not being supported now and is a dying language. C# is microsofts baby now as far as I know. .net   .horrid  . enjoy your weekend, Bonjour
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz