Fireball Dungeon (C64 style) - 8bit wars compo entry

Started by craigd, March 14, 2019, 12:02:26

Previous topic - Next topic

craigd

Finally!! Anywhere I can upload since adding attachment here didn't work. I didn't think it would.

Steve Elliott

Give the man some web space Qube.  Although you should have asked earlier!   :)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

craigd

hahaha

found an uploader site. https://ufile.io/7zqxj

64bit windows. I had to rush to get some version out haha my nerves are shot. I need a drink ;)

Hopefully it works ok. My dropbox isn't working for some reason. Google drive doesn't either ffs :/

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Umm, it's after the comp deadline :o

However in this circumstance you were just delayed due to finding somewhere to upload rather than working on your entry past midnight :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

craigd

Quote from: Qube on April 01, 2019, 00:18:52
Umm, it's after the comp deadline :o

However in this circumstance you were just delayed due to finding somewhere to upload rather than working on your entry past midnight :)

I tried to attach the file to my post at the final minute. Damn dropbox and googledrive not working. I hadn't used them since 2017 or something but always kept them updated. I thought bloody typical for crap to go wrong hahah I'll figure something out for future uploads.

Thanks for the extra time for uploading :)

@Steve Elliott thanks man. I've never really bothered exporting my stuff as an exe so I deffo hope so too hahah

I usually just do small games for my own enjoyment. Gamedev has kept me sane through the years ;}

So about the game...

At the beginning I didn't really think I'd actually be entering so I just pottered about now and then. It's only been this week, as the deadline loomed, that I thought more seriously about entering. I did about 40% of the work this weekend.  So there's a lot of programmer art placeholders still in place haha

The basic story is-
You play as a wizard, Gandarf, who has a pet cat named Kitty
Kitty knocked over some potions etc and you both get teleported to some dungeons where you have no magic
Kitty's 9 lives are spread out over these dungeons
Help Kitty be complete again... blah blah

Gameplay is pretty much Arkanoid :}

KEYS:
ARROW KEYS to control Gandarf
ARROW KEYS also selects items in shop
ENTER to SELECT / BUY
SPACEBAR to GO TO NEXT DUNGEON in the SHOP

The only items that are implemented are the
HEALTH BOOST
SPEED RUNE
KEYS
MAGNET

I believe that's it :) Hopefully it all works perfectly (fingers crossed....)

therevills

Sign up to https://itch.io/ and setup a quick project page, then upload you file there - its a nice place to show off your projects.

MrmediamanX

it's best to create an itch.io account and upload there ... you can customize the look of your download page,add version updates,write dev logs for peeps following you and stuff and there's no expiration date for your files/games.  :)
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Xerra

Definitely create an Itch.IO account like these guys have said. You can keep an eye on stuff like views and downloads and not have any issues like file upload sites trying to make people sign up for accounts or spam adverts at them then. Also it's a good start to showcase future games as you create them as well. Check out some of the other competitors previous games there.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

craigd

Ahh I did look into that a week ago but just completely forgot about it. Cheers guys, will deffo sign up

craigd

OK guys I managed to get it onto itch.io. Been busy all day and finally got 5mins to get this up on itch.io :) Nice one for the suggestion guys! Seems quite nice and easy to use.

FIREBALL DUNGEON

iWasAdam

This is very good. great mechanic and interesting thought going on. I could see this reimagined and very playable :) Superb

Derron

You shouldn't use semi-transparency for the ghost - the image above has 65 colors.
Removing the ghost (drew a black rectangle above it) I still see 58 colors.

Dunno how this happens and if this is allowed to get "bugfixed" during this week (For me it would be ok - maybe you did not "color pick" your colors but used a "looks like this green" workflow).
I did not check it further - but some "ground tiles" look darker: did you by any chance tint them individually ("SetColor 200, 200, 200" before drawing them to make them a bit darker) ? If so - just remove that tint ("bugfix").

bye
Ron

craigd

Quote from: iWasAdam on April 03, 2019, 12:44:44
This is very good. great mechanic and interesting thought going on. I could see this reimagined and very playable :) Superb

Thanks man. I appreciate the kind words :) Thanks for checking it out!

Quote from: Derron on April 03, 2019, 13:37:50
You shouldn't use semi-transparency for the ghost - the image above has 65 colors.
Removing the ghost (drew a black rectangle above it) I still see 58 colors.

Dunno how this happens and if this is allowed to get "bugfixed" during this week (For me it would be ok - maybe you did not "color pick" your colors but used a "looks like this green" workflow).
I did not check it further - but some "ground tiles" look darker: did you by any chance tint them individually ("SetColor 200, 200, 200" before drawing them to make them a bit darker) ? If so - just remove that tint ("bugfix").

Ahh yeah. I forgot to mention that. The only time I was going by C64 colour limits was in MultiPaint. That was enough of a challenge for me haha

NOTE: I've attached the dungeon graphics sheet I was working with (some test stuff in there..) to show it can be loaded straight into MultiPaint.

Once in the engine, I kind of gave up on colour palette limits. The floor is drawn at half transparency over a black background, while some tiles are drawn with even less, for a bit of variety. At full brightness, I felt like my eyeballs were being stabbed ;p

The transparency of the ghost was quite important in this game but I never got to implement that side of things...

Thanks for checking it out :)

Derron

Nice spritesheet - think you need to resolve that accidentally left on "fading" to make it compo-compatible (as the palette was the only true restriction we needed to take care of).

It might look a bit more vibrant yes. To darken it you might think of adding a alternating raster image over the ground tiles. Raster image = "x0x0x0x0" with x being black (or what ever) and 0 being transparent. Don't do that right in the spritesheet - if that way you could have different rasters for different "darkness" values ("x00x00x00" vs "x0x0x0x0")

Should be doable in "highres" (320x200).

bye
Ron