Fireball Dungeon (C64 style) - 8bit wars compo entry

Started by craigd, March 14, 2019, 12:02:26

Previous topic - Next topic

craigd

Hey all,

The story of my entry.. is a strange one..

I didn't have internet for quite a while. I got back online in January, just as I was fixing up an old prototype from 2017. I really didn't know which direction to take it. It was a convoluted mess of ideas :)

Then I found these forums again (I used to lurk a looong time ago) and noticed the 8-bit compo. Somewhere on the forums, Xerra mentioned MultiPaint, so I gave it a blast. I loved it! Thanks Xerra! After a few hours I knew I'd be doing a C64 style version of my game. I didn't think I'd be entering the compo, but it did give me a solid direction for the game. So I started from scratch developing it once I had enough graphics to test.

The game is quite far along that I may just get it done in time for the compo. Who knows :}

The main menu/title screen..

3DzForMe

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

craigd

Gameplay is coming along but needs more levels and balancing.

Qube

Great work on the graphics & welcome to the forums ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Xerra

Glad I could help you out and good luck with your project as it looks great. I'd love to see some new faces get a game out for this competition.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

craigd

@Qube Thanks man! and I appreciate the welcome :)

@Xerra Cheers matey. If you hadn't posted about MultiPaint, I doubt I'd have gotten as far with the C64 style graphics :)

round157

Quote from: craigd on March 14, 2019, 12:02:26

The game is quite far along that I may just get it done in time for the compo. Who knows :}

The main menu/title screen..

Hello,

I am interested in this game. May I ask a question? What language or game creation software is used in the developing this nice game? Thanks. I want to know more....thanks again!!

MrmediamanX

very cool ... Looking forward to checking it out. :)
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

craigd

@round157 Thanks matey! It's being developed in Construct 2. Hope that helps :}

@MrmediamanX Cheers man! I hope it doesn't disappoint haha

round157

Quote from: craigd on March 15, 2019, 01:29:16
@round157 Thanks matey! It's being developed in Construct 2. Hope that helps :}

Okay, good. We can see the full power and enormous potential of Construct 2 from your entry!!

craigd

Quote from: round157 on March 15, 2019, 01:57:30
Okay, good. We can see the full power and enormous potential of Construct 2 from your entry!!

Construct 2 is one of the most powerful, easy to use 2D game engines out there. Believe me, my game won't do it any justice at all :) Thanks for your vote of confidence though :)

Steve Elliott

Looks great!  Loving the texturing in a C-64-style.   8)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

dungeon screenshot looks preeetty cool - especially with the old dude and his cat.

"you're dead"-screen is a bit ... hard to recognize - a bit "too big" when scaled up. So on your old 13 inch screen it might look cool but on todays big screens you might experience the effect of sitting in one of the first rows of a big cinema: you cannot "gasp" the whole screen presentation at once.

bye
Ron

craigd

Quote from: Steve Elliott on March 15, 2019, 10:32:30
Looks great!  Loving the texturing in a C-64-style.   8)

Thanks man. Still not happy with it so no doubt it'll go through some changes :}

Quote from: Derron on March 15, 2019, 11:03:45
dungeon screenshot looks preeetty cool - especially with the old dude and his cat.

"you're dead"-screen is a bit ... hard to recognize - a bit "too big" when scaled up. So on your old 13 inch screen it might look cool but on todays big screens you might experience the effect of sitting in one of the first rows of a big cinema: you cannot "gasp" the whole screen presentation at once.

Cheers matey. Yep you're absolutely correct. I had planned to replace it at some point, but for now, it serves its purpose :}