AppGameKit Studio preorder available

Started by plenatus, March 01, 2019, 17:25:48

Previous topic - Next topic

plenatus

For people who have not seen it yet and want to buy AppGameKit Studio as a preorder
https://www.appgamekit.com/studio

3DzForMe

This looks very tempting... I can see me adding to my growing collection of development tools.   ;D
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

GaborD

You can never have enough tools and engines! :D

Qube

Bought the alpha version and the IDE is an improvement. However I notice that on Mac ( even without the IDE open ) the produced apps have a 50%+ reduction in FPS, down from 670FPS to 290FPS. Also vsync doesn't work, it's always off no matter what.

I then checked the latest classic version ( which I can't use because the IDE is blurry and slow ) and that too has the same issues. Grr, AGK on Mac must of been broken for months!! not good, not good at all.

So, sticking with the 2018-07-12 version for now as the IDE works smooth and FPS is back up to 670FPS. Slightly peeved that these issues have been going on for so long.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

plenatus

maybe you can take the latest interpreter*.exe  (or the mac thing ;) ) and copy it into a working AGK IDE.
(only to avoid the ide issues)
It seems that in the AGKS alpha version the interpreters are not allways the same.See screenshot with timestamps for windows.

@GarborD: you are so right :))

Qube

@c0d3r9 - I have tried cobbling different versions together but Paul Johnston has said that doing that can break things like iOS export. I'm not pulling my hair out yet as I can still happily use an older version but will keep pushing the issues with each and every release until it's sorted :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Rick Nasher

@Qube
Quote from: Qube on March 01, 2019, 20:35:50
Bought the alpha version and the IDE is an improvement. However I notice that on Mac ( even without the IDE open ) the produced apps have a 50%+ reduction in FPS, down from 670FPS to 290FPS. Also vsync doesn't work, it's always off no matter what.

I then checked the latest classic version ( which I can't use because the IDE is blurry and slow ) and that too has the same issues. Grr, AGK on Mac must of been broken for months!! not good, not good at all.

So, sticking with the 2018-07-12 version for now as the IDE works smooth and FPS is back up to 670FPS. Slightly peeved that these issues have been going on for so long.

I've just gotten the Studio thinghy(couldn't resist).  ;)
I've also noticed the performance loss and made an inquiry at the forum.

They say it's not the Vulkan engine yet, only the editor, so any performance losses must come from somewhere else.
My guess is that's it's the GUI preview windows and stuff. Perhaps it shares the same code and will be like running 2 AGK apps side by side?

[EDIT]
I've noticed in Studio's prefs that on my system it eats ~26fps.

[EDIT2]
Quote2.. I understand that the IDE is an app itself and so to expect an FPS reduction during development. However without the IDE open my game now runs at 290FPS whereby on AppGameKit Classic 2018-07-12 it ran at 670FPS. Also in full screen it's even slower
Just seen you mentioned also applies to standalone exe without the Studio IDE running so makes no sense.

[EDIT3 - for one can never edit too much ;) ]
This is not happening in my case, a Win 10 laptop.
I did notice has to use "Run as Admin" otherwise wouldn't save the exe in the project directory on my D: disk, wherefrom I also execute AppGameKit S.

Naughty Alien

..so whats the difference between existing IDE and this studio version??

Xerra

£37 isn't bad if buying in March. I've got the original AGK from a special offer a while back but never tinkered with it that much. Mainly because I forgot I had it and went the gamemaker studio route. New version does sound good, however, but not sure if it would do a few things that Gamemaker should, but doesn't, do.

1) Is it fully OOP? As in you can use methods and create objects that you can create variables within during runtime? Something like ObjectCreate(objBall, x=100, y=100) - pseudo syntax.

2) Is it useable on Mac in current state for simple games - ie: knocking together some stuff to learn the language?

3) Does it have native tile support with collision detection that doesn't require an extensive knowledge of bit operations to even vaguely understand?

4) Is it a room system - like gamemaker - where you create rooms and can drag them onto the screen where you want them in that particular scene, or just create them in code if you prefer? I tend to prefer the latter anyway usually but it's nice to throw title scenes with lots of graphic stuff into objects and dynamically lay them out as a time-saver.

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Rick Nasher

Quote from: Xerra on March 02, 2019, 15:03:23..

1) Is it fully OOP? As in you can use methods and create objects that you can create variables within during runtime? Something like ObjectCreate(objBall, x=100, y=100) - pseudo syntax.
No OOP.

2) Is it useable on Mac in current state for simple games - ie: knocking together some stuff to learn the language?
Qube says latest AGK2 version(now dubbed AGK Classic, because of the AGK Studio coming out later this year) has some bugs on Mac's, mainly the editor being blurry.

3) Does it have native tile support with collision detection that doesn't require an extensive knowledge of bit operations to even vaguely understand?
Nope, have to code it yourself as in Blitz.

4) Is it a room system - like gamemaker - where you create rooms and can drag them onto the screen where you want them in that particular scene, or just create them in code if you prefer? I tend to prefer the latter anyway usually but it's nice to throw title scenes with lots of graphic stuff into objects and dynamically lay them out as a time-saver.
Nope see above answer, but there may be a visual editor coming out later, but not available yet.

Rick Nasher

Quote from: Naughty Alien on March 02, 2019, 14:26:00
..so whats the difference between existing IDE and this studio version??

Previous editor was Geany based. This one is in house coded.

Features for now: drag&drop from preview asset media pane into the code window(path and all included), more color preferences for the editor and a help pane for commands, variable etc.

For me this means no more modding the color to dark for the entire IDE after each update and not opening a separate browser window for the online help.

plenatus

If you look inside the AGKS folders you see some geany named things....
Btw. atm the interpreter seems to be the same like in AGK.
The win64 interpreter have exactly the same size like this one in last AGK.

It could be indeed the preview window inside AGKS gui that cause the power loss.

@Rick: better some editing as many posts in a row.(i don´t like this behaviour from some member in the TGC Forum ;) )
For me, i buy the studio and we should wait because i can´t imagine that such general problem would not solved in next time.
And i like that the alphas come without installer.

Rick Nasher

@c0d3r9
Yeah, you are right. I see it too. Weird, perhaps an open source version of Geany which was adapted then?

Derron

Geany is GPL... They would need to make their sources available as they do for the agk ide ...

Bye
Ron

blinkok

As far as AGK Studio is concerned. Can someone tell me how it will improve development over the original IDE?