Gravitus - 8bit-wars comp entry

Started by Morpheus, March 01, 2019, 14:27:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Morpheus

Quote from: iWasAdam on March 01, 2019, 15:35:57
nice gravity going on. and on a mac - YAY.

Really really loved the little waving guy :)

The guy was just a super quick animation that came out really well. It was just for testing originally but he's not going anywhere  ;)

Morpheus

Quote from: therevills on March 01, 2019, 23:29:51
Great job! Reminds me of Thrust (2)... that was hard as the objects you picked up affected your ship.

I'd never seen Thrust 2. Looks tough, the game was partly inspired by Thrust. I didn't want the picking up of the orb as that would be too close to a remake. I am still putting in more elements. I now have automatic doors that can make for some heart stopping moments when negotiating the arena!

jonza

Instead of thrust this reminds me more of a dos game AUTS, which itself was an advanced clone of amiga game TurboRAKETTI. Music really makes this so much cooler. Just like a real C64 game!

MrmediamanX

bug report: just a series of error messages like this. Running on vista win Laptop/LP[32]
testing on my gpdwin2 and gpdnote2 it works fine though.
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Morpheus

Quote from: MrmediamanX on April 01, 2019, 04:57:19
bug report: just a series of error messages like this. Running on vista win Laptop/LP[32]
testing on my gpdwin2 and gpdnote2 it works fine though.

Thanks for the bug report, I will see if I can find any resolution to the issue. It may well be down to Vista, I don't have a pc running vista to check on, I will endeavour to find a solution.

Thanks,

Aaron

Morpheus

A new version is up on Itch.

v1.0.1 - Sprites were not showing on World 1, Level 5.  :-[

Download from https://conceptalpha.itch.io/gravitus

round157

Hi....

The Windows version zip file is an installation file only.

Steve Elliott

Yeah I noticed that, but installed that way anyway lol.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Morpheus

Quote from: Steve Elliott on April 08, 2019, 15:51:40

Yeah I noticed that, but installed that way anyway lol.

Lol looks like Itch.io has confused my uploads via Butler.  :-[
ReUpped the Proper Windows Zip without butler, if you want to use that instead  :D

Cheers,

Aaron

Derron

130mb for a retro game - this even blasts my 20mb (which include 6 binaries) or Qubes (which contains a load of music too).

Hope we do not have modem users around us ;-)

Any chance for a lately delivered linux version - if you support a Mac then Linux isn't that far away.

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

My version was a 150MBytes.... chunky for a retro game!

Love the loader and the whole concept - is it 32-bit compatible?
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Steve Elliott

130mb for a retro game

Yes I noticed this too.  Quite ironic the retro 8-bit entries require so much disk space/memory.

Of course this is no bad reflection on the coders, but on the languages/engines they use.  Those engines are designed to produce a range of games, from simple to very advanced games, rather than being very efficient for one particular type of game.  Naturally what they lose in efficiency, they gain in flexibility.

Anyway, all that matters is what game you prefer, rather than technical data...And this is one of my favourite games.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Morpheus

The main reason for its size is the music, even though they are chip tunes, they are mp3s, which stored as Wavs in the data file. There's around 40 minutes of music to enjoy while playing.

MrmediamanX

QuoteThe main reason for its size is the music, even though they are chip tunes, they are mp3s, which stored as Wavs in the data file.

true ... one of the main reasons why I had to compress my audio to hell and back in order keep the overall size down, doing so can also enhance/improve loading times in some case's.
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Derron

Stream the ogg/mp3 and loading times wont differ.

I compressed my ogg files with a lower quality too - as the retro sound didn't "loose" so much when I tried. Only saved some kilobytes here and there but better than nothing.
Filesize of the binaries were also a bit bigger than needed but I support XML, OGG, whole SDL thingies, ... and all this little stuff. Could have "stripped" the binary to save 10-15% on each (but the release was compressed anyway).
One of the lowest filesizes for the application might be with Jscript or so - as it can heavily rely on the "runtime" (browser) being installed on the users computer already.

For audio I thought about trying to play with .mod files (or s3m or so) but hmm. Time vs effort ;-)

bye
Ron