Another New Guy

Started by underflow, February 21, 2019, 17:51:39

Previous topic - Next topic

underflow

Hey everyone,

New to the forums, but not to BlitzMax or NG. I usually lurk around now and again, but decided to join after seeing the recent uptick in activity on GitHub.

For years now I have been using NG as a go to language for developing software tools rather than games. I know that's outside the scope of the language (it being geared towards gaming and all,) but it fits the needs very well for both home and work. (If you want to know why, I can explain.)

That being said, I do have hopes to one day develop a game. Seeing all the hard work Brucey, GWRon, and HurryStarfish have done is exciting and I thank them for putting their time and effort into improving the language.

I can't wait to see where the community takes BlitzMax next.
-Drake

Brucey

Hallo :-)

Glad you're having fun with it.
As you may have noticed from the majority of modules I've created for BlitzMax, I haven't been doing much in the way of game-specific things with it either. I enjoy using it purely as a programming language. Of all the ones I use, it's definitely my favourite.

As well as fixing bugs, the next interesting addition to NG is probably going to be the implementation of Enum.

:D

Derron

Hi and welcome,

if you want you can elaborate a bit on what your tools are about - no serious details if it are business apps.

Maybe it helps to see what stuff is important next to the game programming aspects - especially module-wise (as you named us three users you are surely visiting the github issues of the project and are aware of some discussions ;-)).

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Hi and welcome, have fun !
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Steve Elliott

Welcome!  We look forward to seeing your projects.   :)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

therevills

Welcome to the mad house  :P  :))

underflow

Quote from: Brucey on February 21, 2019, 22:45:55
Hallo :-)

I have checked out your modules and have used some of them in my projects, more at home though. I try to write my own modules for work.

The language fits nicely into our work environment. My coworkers are just IT guys who are more familiar with BASIC rather than other, more syntax heavy languages. Being able to print out code and explain what a program does is less painful, but I do incorporate C/C++ in when I need to... especially abusing the recent inline C feature I just heard about  ;D

Quote from: Derron on February 22, 2019, 06:37:22
Hi and welcome,

I can't say much about work projects, but one specific focus is database visualization/search software (essentially finding relationships between tables in one or more databases and displaying that information in a visual way, mostly organizing everything using confidence algorithms.)

Not sure where the right place is, but I would love to show off the random crap I do at home. (Maybe I can create a work log or something? Have to ask around and find out.)

Quote from: Derron on February 22, 2019, 06:37:22
(as you named us three users you are surely visiting the github issues of the project and are aware of some discussions ;-))

You caught me, I have been lurking around there too. Have been meaning to post a report related to the FileSize function using _stat instead of _stat64 in PUB.STDC, leading to file sizes being capped off as ints instead of longs. Just been too busy I guess.

3DzForMe, Steve Elliott, therevills

Thanks guys for the warm welcome! Once I find a good place, I'll start randomposting the things I do. Also can't wait to see all the things everyone here has been up too, didn't know the site has a showcase section!
-Drake