Inner Demons - 8-bit wars comp entry

Started by jonza, February 16, 2019, 23:15:29

Previous topic - Next topic

jonza

Enemies, new levels, tiles, parallax scrolling, palette fixes, etc. Not sure if I can finish the FreeBASIC comp game on time. Lost few days of developement time to an unforeseen situation. Haven't totally given up on that yet, but I'ts really hard to come up with fast and easy enemy designs and sprites if your concept needs "other programming languages" as enemies.

8-bit wars is coming along fine thought... Still missing most of SID music and SFX. Parallax scrolling needs to be simplified or removed from this level to be almost somewhat possible.

Qube

QuoteNot sure if I can finish the FreeBASIC comp game on time. Lost few days of developement time to an unforeseen situation. Haven't totally given up on that yet
Keep at it until the last minute as sometimes things can come together really quickly :)

QuoteParallax scrolling needs to be simplified or removed from this level to be almost somewhat possible.
Looks good but keep in mind you don't need to go crazy specific to if your chosen computer could do x, y, z stuff technically. If you want to add in multiple layers of parallax scrolling then feel free to do that.  Besides the C64 had games with parallax scrolling.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

GaborD

Hope you can pull it off in time, looks spot on for this compo.

jonza

Loading screen...

3DzForMe

Nicely done loading screen ;)  8) Reminds me of an arnie shwarschnegger film, total recall....
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

iWasAdam

excellent graphics you got going on there.

tiny suggestion for you:
maybe make the text a little bigger, slant it (slightly) and take out the dithering (spots)

jonza

Like this maybe? Too many possibilities...

iWasAdam

yup - you got it.  ;D
my (personal) preference would be to rotate it the other way and sort of put it where the previous one was - would fill the spce nicely and leave you some space below for anything else - logo, etc

craigd

Was hoping you'd have gone with the tiny sprite since it seemed to have more character, but still looking good!

jonza

I'm still using it. Our hero has 3 sizes that represent mental health. Basic enemies are color swaps of it, and there will be points where you need the tiny guy.

jonza

No work done for a while. My son, who is the Ron Hubbard of the team, got sick and got diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma three days ago. My son is still eager to finish, albeit with somewhat reduced workload. Anyway it would be stupidest thing to leave a project unfinished now. But you know... Fuck! (Sorry about that)

Steve Elliott

Cool loading screen.   8)

Sorry to hear about your son.   :(
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

Qube

Sorry to hear about your son, shocking news :(
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

craigd

Quote from: jonza on March 15, 2019, 08:26:31
I'm still using it. Our hero has 3 sizes that represent mental health. Basic enemies are color swaps of it, and there will be points where you need the tiny guy.

Ahhhh ok my bad. I think my coherent brain shuts down after midnight. Glad you're still using it :)

Sorry to hear about the bad news!