Inner Demons - 8-bit wars comp entry

Started by jonza, February 16, 2019, 23:15:29

Previous topic - Next topic

jonza

I stumbled upon this forum, and just had to register and participate in the 8-bit wars. Big thanks to qube and everyone else who is making this happen. It's been over 20 years since I last made a game, so I might be little rusty.

My game is going to be a story driven platformer about battling your inner demons... At least that is my excuse for using same lazily recolored sprites for all characters. Your player has three different 'mario style' sizes, and enemies maybe more.

I'm using Polyanna https://csdb.dk/release/?id=153091 for music. 5 extra channels for sound seems almost like cheating, but this tracker should actually run on real hardware. I'm only using 4 of the 8 channels anyway. At the moment i'm using QB64 for coding, but not sure if I'm sticking with that.

Oh yeah: i'm trying to make something that sounds and smells like a C-64 game.

round157

QB64, a popular software. Just like FreeBASIC. Good luck.....

MrmediamanX

you have until  Sunday March 31st 23:59:59 BST so there should be plenty of time left to build something.
also welcome to forums ... a home away from home. :D
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Qube

He he, love the c64_bigguy.gif, reminds me of the Bruce Lee game :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

STEVIE G

Quote from: jonza on February 16, 2019, 23:15:29
I stumbled upon this forum, and just had to register and participate in the 8-bit wars. Big thanks to qube and everyone else who is making this happen. It's been over 20 years since I last made a game, so I might be little rusty.

My game is going to be a story driven platformer about battling your inner demons... At least that is my excuse for using same lazily recolored sprites for all characters. Your player has three different 'mario style' sizes, and enemies maybe more.

I'm using Polyanna https://csdb.dk/release/?id=153091 for music. 5 extra channels for sound seems almost like cheating, but this tracker should actually run on real hardware. I'm only using 4 of the 8 channels anyway. At the moment i'm using QB64 for coding, but not sure if I'm sticking with that.

Oh yeah: i'm trying to make something that sounds and smells like a C-64 game.

+1 for Tiny guy.  It'll keep your asset work to a minimum too.  Let's face it - most old 8bit games required you to fill in the blanks with your imagination  ;)

Xerra

Quote from: Qube on February 17, 2019, 16:56:36

This is exactly what I was thinking. That game is such a classic.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Steve Elliott

Welcome to the forum - good stuff.  Looking like a dark horse competition-wise.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

jonza

Quote from: Qube on February 17, 2019, 16:56:36

Me too. It's not intentional, but it's hard to unsee. Maybe I should include a power-up that makes you yellow and gives you karate :)

jonza

Some early gameplay video!

https://youtu.be/9PGD7uAG5yw

Many things are still missing, wrong or broken. Code is slow as hell and I think I'm getting a tendonitis to my wrist :)

MrmediamanX

ah man, that is cool. but it's best just use screenshot's when show casing your progress.
you don't want give away to much, at least game play wise. all & all very cool look.

jonza

Quote from: MrmediamanX on February 18, 2019, 11:01:21
ah man, that is cool. but it's best just use screenshot's when show casing your progress.
you don't want give away to much, at least game play wise. all & all very cool look.

Probably a good idea. No worries. It's going to be plenty different. I already redrew almost all of the graphics. Style is similar, but it sits on a 8x8 grid now and is a bit more like an actual C-64 game could look like. There's not a lot of the intended game play mechanics on the video -- beyond jumping and platforms anyway. It isn't going to be so "mario". Just needed something to do in the game so I threw in a bunch of coins and some projectiles for now.

MrmediamanX

jonza

Graphics and my game engine is working correctly with double wide pixels. Graphics are trying to emulate 4x8 multicolor character mode with some sprites. This scene would be using sprites for the player character, clouds and coins.

Trying to have a char set and sprite set that could actually fit in the VIC-II:s 16kb memory. Just found out there's no sprite mirroring or flipping registers in C64, and my palette swaps take space too. That ram runs out fast! I'm currently counting that I would need about 14.5kb. :)

Next up: Enemies

jonza

My game just turned into a series.  Other one is going to be a entry to the "Love letter to freebasic" -comp. It's going to be totally different,  a run 'n' gun game with aggressive punk as background music. Story wise it's a sequel, but the other deadline is earlier, so it looks like "Inner Demons" will technically be a prequel :)

Protagonist of both games will now be called "90's guy". He's traumatized by everything that has happened since 2001. Nineties Guy had a nervous brakedown and is currently stuck in a mental hospital tied with a straitjacket. Both games are set in his imagination. In Inner Demons he's dealing with his... Inner Demons. In the other one he still needs to deal with  the trauma that's caused by Visual Basic, .net, Object oriented programming etc. In his mind he's going to make things right and shoot him self some JS, CSS3 ad HTML5 with his finger.

My wife just showed me an amazing draft of a picture for the loading screen... So I guess the loading screen war is on :)

3DzForMe

Great work, another well presented game, still a month to go.... 8)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1