Text Input - return to top of user interface

Started by 3DzForMe, February 16, 2019, 12:06:58

Previous topic - Next topic

3DzForMe

In blitz basic, after detecting a carriage return (i.e. go north) , how'd you get the text entry field to go to the top....
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

3DzForMe

think I found a resolution, this is easier syntactically than zxBasic... I think ;) Its been a while since using pure zxbasic....

https://www.blitzcoder.org/forum/topic.php?id=125

3DzForMe

Screen grab of code in action.... happy coding dayz ;)

MrmediamanX

strings,arrays,dims ... a bit daunting for me personally, I usually go with an over the top fantasy options menu for the most part when dealing with things such as this ... it requires some lateral thinking and pre management, but seem's function ok for the most part .... always with the unorthodox approach,totally my style. 8)
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

3DzForMe

Quotestrings,arrays,dims ... a bit daunting for me personally,

Yeah... grinding from array, to trying Object Oriented stuff (which was too much of a stretch, I like to design on a fag packet, or more to the point on an area inside my brain which equates to an area the size of a fag packet)

So using an array with a binary element to it to signify the N,S,E and W components worked best for me. Didn't helped at first that I was getting my easts and wests mixed up between rooms, thinking, whty the hell isn't this working!

Bugs are half the fun... or maybe not  :o 8) :D ;D

3DzForMe

Well not lost the old speccy syntax yet:

https://jsspeccy.zxdemo.org/

I had a ZX Spectrum+ keyboard that I shoe horned my speccys innards into ;)

MrmediamanX

True ... breaking things down to it's most simplest format always works for me.
approaching the mechanics from a first person view [ie] UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT replacing N,S,E,W unless applying a +1 to a step variable or counter ... from there pretty much any event can be added on.

I may have a go at something like this after the comp, maybe make little game akin myst but with more typing and puzzles I guess. 

3DzForMe

I think I'll probably release my code after the competition warts and all, heck why not?

It'll be a framework folks can use to make their own adventures - other stuff like this probably exists - but it'll give blitz basic another bit of exposure.

I've been coding for roughly another 3 hours solid on this - crazy - but quite gratifying. These competitions are great for re-invigorating the old coding spirit.

MrmediamanX

Quote from: 3DzForMe on February 16, 2019, 13:50:42
I think I'll probably release my code after the competition warts and all, heck why not?

It'll be a framework folks can use to make their own adventures - other stuff like this probably exists - but it'll give blitz basic another bit of exposure.

I've been coding for roughly another 3 hours solid on this - crazy - but quite gratifying. These competitions are great for re-invigorating the old coding spirit.

amen to that.
i'll do the same granted I have a few engines and what not up already.

3DzForMe

Oh my, that Really appeals to me. Awesome work, Blitz 3D I presume? [Edit -- The clues in the title, missed that first time around] Note, I'm not assuming coz we all know it makes an ass out of .......

The hand teasing the musical raining blocks out, kool and the gang.

MrmediamanX

Pretty neat  emulator. :)

3DzForMe

Yeah, that is a great example of good user interface design. The little candle on the left is brilliant.