Untitled - 8 bit wars comp entry

Started by STEVIE G, February 09, 2019, 20:53:39

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVIE G

I'm going for a C64 320x180 platform shooter with a minimalist look.  2 colours per 8x8 block was too restrictive so I've settled on a max of 4 (including black) but using the original C64 colours.

A few screens of progress so far ...

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Looks cute ;D but I bet landing in that acid at the bottom isn't :o
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Nice looking style, like how the platforms stand out in a 3D esque way. ;D
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

MrmediamanX

It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

GaborD

Nice clean design. You could make it very action-heavy and the player would never lose focus. Sometimes less is more, I really like it.
Reminded me of Jumpman right away. (yes, totally different colors, no tiny holes in the ground layers, no directional ropes... but still :) )
We used to play that for hours and hours with friends, taking turns, shouting at each other's mistakes. Brings back memories.
Hope you also add different enemies and challenges each level. That was what made it so great. That silly spear throwing level. Or the one where your clones follow every step you take. The disappearing or appearing ladders... Loved it.

therevills

Nice!

Your little guy reminds me of an old game... cant put my finger on it...

STEVIE G

Quote from: GaborD on February 10, 2019, 07:36:43
Nice clean design. You could make it very action-heavy and the player would never lose focus. Sometimes less is more, I really like it.
Reminded me of Jumpman right away. (yes, totally different colors, no tiny holes in the ground layers, no directional ropes... but still :) )
We used to play that for hours and hours with friends, taking turns, shouting at each other's mistakes. Brings back memories.
Hope you also add different enemies and challenges each level. That was what made it so great. That silly spear throwing level. Or the one where your clones follow every step you take. The disappearing or appearing ladders... Loved it.

I checked out Jumpman for the C64 - interesting mechanics and looks fun.  I've looked at countless platformers on retro sites to get some inspiration.  There seems to still be lots of people working on C64 hardware.

Quote from: therevills on February 10, 2019, 07:54:31
Nice!

Your little guy reminds me of an old game... cant put my finger on it...

Lode Runner I suspect?  ;D

I think my wee guy looks better.  I spent more time than I should on the animation - 8 frames for each direction just the running, same for crawling and walking etc...  Just got the shooting, climbing and hit/death ones to do and then on to getting the gameplay working with placeholders for the enemies.

The idea will be simple, start the level on the bottom left/right, kill everything on the level (some are patrolling, some drop from above), don't get killed then exit through a door to the opposite side - eventually reaching a Boss room.  The shooting / killing has to be satisfying and challenging or I won't be satisfied.  Think lots of particle effects, blood and shell casings etc...

Making some decent progress on level tiles to introduce some variety and a bit more detail.  Added a shadow effect on the player character.  Got some 8bit sounds working too. I'm hoping to get a procedural level creation system working but I reckon it'll be tricky to ensure you can reach everything.  I was toying with dropping the climbing and just have you jumping around .. will see what works best.

round157

STEVIE G wrote:

Lode Runner I suspect?

Perhaps some members don't know what Lode Runner is. Lode Runner is an extremely successful game. It was released in 1983 according to Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lode_Runner

These members may really want to watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRhP8Nk0exw

STEVIE G

Quote from: round157 on February 18, 2019, 12:57:37
STEVIE G wrote:

Lode Runner I suspect?

Perhaps some members don't know what Lode Runner is. Lode Runner is an extremely successful game. It was released in 1983 according to Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lode_Runner

These members may really want to watch this video:

Best to just use google rather than watching a 4hr video.   ;D

Like I said, my game will play nothing like it though.  The only minor resemblance is that both main characters are white stick men. 

therevills

QuoteLode Runner I suspect?

Nah, something more recent... I've got a memory of seeing something like at the time of playing My Wobbly Leg vs the Invaders from Space...

round157

Quote from: STEVIE G on February 18, 2019, 17:58:52

Like I said, my game will play nothing like it though.  The only minor resemblance is that both main characters are white stick men.

Oh...I see. By the way, your untitled entry looks like a powerful and strong contestant in this competition!

I look forward to an outstanding and unusual name for this nice game. My memory tells me that your old entries were developed in Blitz3D. Is this untitled entry the same?

Good luck to you!

3DzForMe

Blitz3D, the weapon of choice for the discerning coder  8)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

MrmediamanX

Quote from: 3DzForMe on February 20, 2019, 06:45:55

Amen to that. 8)
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

STEVIE G

Quote from: MrmediamanX on February 20, 2019, 12:35:23
Quote from: 3DzForMe on February 20, 2019, 06:45:55

Amen to that. 8)

If it keeps working - I'll keep using it  8)