July 17, 2019, 02:43:10 PM

Author Topic: Jack Deadly - 8 bit-wars comp entry  (Read 3314 times)

Offline therevills

Re: Jack Deadly - 8 bit-wars comp entry
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2019, 08:17:10 AM »
I'm running it on my Mac via Parallels if that helps.

Ta... so not "proper" native... have you had any issues with any previous games?

Uploaded a new version with "release" flag set. Could you please try again... if the bug happens again could you please create a GIF or video of it.

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2019, 10:53:57 PM »
I'm running it on my Mac via Parallels if that helps.

Ta... so not "proper" native... have you had any issues with any previous games?

Uploaded a new version with "release" flag set. Could you please try again... if the bug happens again could you please create a GIF or video of it.

Yep, I'll see what I can do. Never had a problem with any other compo game so far running it via parallels but mostly i've used my cheap,crap laptop to run the games until the last couple of competitions. I'll see if i can replicate it in your updated version.

Offline therevills

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2019, 02:26:38 AM »
I can't replicate  :( hopefully it was just a one off in the old version.

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2019, 02:28:34 AM »
Sorry for the language in advance but.... Fuck me!!! this is one hard game, it's driving me nuts, I love it ;D
Until the next time...

Offline therevills

« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2019, 03:41:35 AM »
this is one hard game, it's driving me nuts, I love it ;D

LOL! Can't have it too easy... I remember these 8-bit games being very hard to complete!

Did you ever play the originals?

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2019, 11:33:47 AM »
LOL! Can't have it too easy... I remember these 8-bit games being very hard to complete!

Very true, and yes I've only had a quick couple of goes so far, but I thought ooo this is a tricky game.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspbian Buster, pi4 4Gb RAM,1.5Ghz

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »
Sorry to say the problem still seems to be there. Randomly it just goes back to the first room after death and there's no player on screen so you have to quit the game. I took a screenshot if it helps. If I'm the only person who's having the problem then maybe it's just a parallels/Mac thing. On the plus side, when I have been able to play, I've almost managed to get to the 3rd screen...... Almost :)

Offline therevills

« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2019, 09:43:51 PM »
Sorry to say the problem still seems to be there. Randomly it just goes back to the first room after death and there's no player on screen so you have to quit the game.

Dam  :( Sorry that is happening... (or maybe you have unlocked Jack's secret invisibility mode  ;))

If you want to alter the level data to see if you get a better results, please go ahead and alter assets\levels\level1data.json and change the player's x and y values:

Code: [Select]
    "objects": {
      "player": {
        "x": 8,
        "y": 350,
        "x_direction": "1",
        "endx": 0,
        "endy": 60
      },

Maybe something like:

Code: [Select]
    "objects": {
      "player": {
        "x": 20,
        "y": 350,
        "x_direction": "1",
        "endx": 0,
        "endy": 60
      },

But get ready to run straight away!

The camera in the game follows the player and the player gets recreated everytime you die... this is a strange bug... gahhh!!

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2019, 09:48:51 PM »
this is a strange bug... gahhh!!

But at least we are entering...bug week.   ;)
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).

Offline therevills

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »
So has anyone completed this yet?  :P

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2019, 12:07:32 AM »
Sorry, not had chance to play any of the entries properly so far. Hopefully towards the end of this week I'll be able to leap into the game more :)
Until the next time...

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2019, 12:39:18 AM »
Sorry, not had chance to play any of the entries properly so far.

Same here.

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2019, 04:55:08 AM »

I've managed to make the third screen after discovering that you can get past that nasty lazer that shoots at you on the ladder. That screen I just can't get beyond the electric sparks though. I'm useless at these type of games though, so don't judge it's difficulty on me. Would love to see a bit more of the game, though.

Offline therevills

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2019, 12:15:28 AM »
Top tip in case you missed it:

In the this screenie:

Near the score collectible (the green object) to the right there is a little red switch embedded into the wall - you can punch these to active things.

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »
Great, but one (tiny) niggle is about the controls  ::)

You use space as a fire (all over the place), so one assumes that space is the default fire - NOPE it's Z or possibly X?
why not just keep things nice and simple and use space OR the defined keys

OK, next niggle is bombs
You have to go down then fire, or is it fire then down, but fire and space are not the same things?
Why not just have space/fire and it plants a bomb - simples :)

I'm sure there is a gun or maybe jump, so then that would use the fire2?

finger gymnastics (just for the sake of them - however well planned and well meaning), just becomes an irritation. when a simple single fire would do the same thing quicker and simpler

I know there is place bomb and 'kick it'. Again why not just use 3 keys. E.G. Z,X,C Where X is place bomb, Z is kick bomb to left, C is kick bomb to right :)