Jack Deadly - 8 bit-wars comp entry

Started by therevills, February 08, 2019, 09:44:29

Previous topic - Next topic

therevills

Quote from: MrmediamanX on February 24, 2019, 00:34:41
t was commodore 64 that won out where i'm from ... the Amstrad was never a thing here
Where is "here"? Amstrad was huge in the UK and Europe (esp. France).

Quoteinstead of receiving speccy ports
Agree! Way too many speccy ports!

Apart from the Speccy ports, name one game that looked better on the C64?  :P

... The BBC forget about it, no one knew It existed. :P
Over in the UK, every school received BBCs to "teach" computers...

MrmediamanX

QuoteWhere is "here"? Amstrad was huge in the UK and Europe (esp. France).

in the oceania region it was all Commodore 64

QuoteApart from the Speccy ports, name one game that looked better on the C64?  :P

altered beast, ran better as well. ;D

The BBC must have dropped out of sight quicker than quick, due to it's high cost or rebranding as the Acorn Electron.
something like that.

Not knocking the old Am CPC ... it's a little nifty piece of kit.
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Qube

QuoteIt was commodore 64 that won out where i'm from
In the UK it was a constant battle between the C64 and ZX Spectrum. Sure the C64 was superior in both graphics and sound but the ZX's games were higher resolution and it just had a charm that those of the era loved. I was lucky to own a Vic20, C64, Spectrum, CPC 464 / 6128 and Atari 800 XL, loved them all and have fond memories of each and everyone.

I spent many many hours playing Bruce Lee and IK ( International Karate ) on the Atari 800XL and from what I remember it was the exact same versions as the C64. JetPac on the ZX was a phenomenal game that I enjoyed for weeks. On the Vic20 I spent a huge amount of time with Hoppit, Blitz and Space Snake. On the C64 I completed GhostBusters many times over and no other 8-bit port came close. The 800 XL port of GhostBusters was shocking, especially as it was capable of matching the C64's version.

The 8-bit era was a great time and I could waffle for a long time about the games played on each format. One of the oddities of the time was the TI-99/4A. Strangely for the time it was an actual 16-bit machine but didn't out perform 8-bit machines. The TI-99/4A had the best keyboard ever and with the Extended BASIC cartridge you had hardware sprites which you could code "CALL MOTION( sprite, X, Y )" ( I think that's right ) and it would update the sprite each frame to match the parameters set. Very clever for its time. On the CPC I was more into Rainbird Art Studio and Rainbird Music System than gaming.

Sorry for the thread hijack.. I'm off to whip a tear from my eye ;D

QuoteApart from the Speccy ports, name one game that looked better on the C64?  :P
Ghostbusters and Bruce Lee - Both of those were better on the C64. Granted the CPC version of Bruce Lee was pretty good but the C64 version did look and perform better.

But big up for the CPC.. Roland on the ropes anyone?. No 8-bit wanting to take that on?, nah, thought not ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

therevills

Quote from: MrmediamanX on February 24, 2019, 02:08:17
in the oceania region it was all Commodore 64

I live in Oz now and when I talk about the Amstrad over here no-one had heard of it  :(

altered beast, ran better as well.

Bloody hardware sprites  :P And I said "game", not sure if Altered beast could be classed as one  ;)

Quote from: Qube on February 24, 2019, 02:16:20
In the UK it was a constant battle between the C64 and ZX Spectrum.
In my school it was the 3 way battle: C64 v ZX v CPC

I was lucky to own a Vic20, C64, Spectrum, CPC 464 / 6128 and Atari 800 XL, loved them all and have fond memories of each and everyone.
Ah, you were one of the rich kids!

Sorry for the thread hijack.. I'm off to whip a tear from my eye ;D

No problem, its a great to remember this stuff! When games were games!

But big up for the CPC.. Roland on the ropes anyone?. No 8-bit wanting to take that on?, nah, thought not ;D

I nearly did select Roland on the Ropes... but then I remembered Rick!

therevills

Mocked up a fake Amstrad loading screen for Jack Deadly  :))

Xerra

On the Vic20 I spent a huge amount of time with Hoppit, Blitz and Space Snake.

Blasphemy! No true Vic 20 gamer could ever forget Omega Race, Radar Rat Race, Myriad, Bongo, Gridrunner, Matrix, Revenge of the Quadra, Rockman and Envahi !!!!!!!!!!
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Qube

Quote from: therevills on February 24, 2019, 04:34:00
Mocked up a fake Amstrad loading screen for Jack Deadly  :))
He-he, cool ;D

QuoteBlasphemy! No true Vic 20 gamer could ever forget Omega Race, Radar Rat Race, Myriad, Bongo, Gridrunner, Matrix, Revenge of the Quadra, Rockman and Envahi !!!!!!!!!!
Lol, I spent more time on the ones mentioned than on that list.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Qube

QuoteAh, you were one of the rich kids!
Crickey no, far from it :o - I used to sell a computer first and then with stuff like Birthday / Christmas money get another one. Sometimes my Dad would sell bits of his Hi-Fi setup to help out as he was super cool like that. I'm a council estate boy born a bred and never ever a rich kid.

Until the next time.

therevills

Quote from: Qube on February 25, 2019, 01:07:48
QuoteAh, you were one of the rich kids!
Crickey no, far from it :o

Fair enough :) We were lucky to have the Amstrad, our parents were pretty well strapped for cash too.

Refined the loading screen to be more like the Amstrad one and added electric trap:

Qube

Loading screen looks spot on ;D - I have a mini version for this comps game but nothing like I did for the retro comp. Nice work and very well done :)

QuoteFair enough :) We were lucky to have the Amstrad, our parents were pretty well strapped for cash too.
I think that made a lot of us appreciate the times more. Having such machines was not a breeze so we enjoyed and made the most of it. Each 8-bit I owned was a slog to get and made many happy memories :)

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

love the death part where he flies at the screen :)

lol that makes me chuckle.  Nice loader too.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

Loading screen looks ace, I've a little work to do with mine...

Yep, I was council housed also until 16 when I left to start a career with a service industry. I think the spectrum might've been a little cheaper than the 64 back in the day? Anyhoo, happy coding!
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

jonza

In the UK it was a constant battle between the C64 and ZX Spectrum. Sure the C64 was superior in both graphics and sound but the ZX's games were higher resolution and it just had a charm that those of the era loved. I was lucky to own a Vic20, C64, Spectrum, CPC 464 / 6128 and Atari 800 XL, loved them all and have fond memories of each and everyone.

In Finland everybody had a C64. Except me, I had a C16 and Vic20. I learned basic with the C16. I rarely used Vic20, I think C16 was a lot nicer machine. I took a job as a paperboy so I could get a better computer. I got a used IBM PS/2 386sx, 20mhz, 2Mb, 40Mb, 14" MCGA. Had to get 4Mb of ram and a Sound Blaster when Doom came out. Qbasic was really nice, and got a lot better after I bought a real VGA card with 256k memory -- you could fit 4 screens worth of colorfull graphics in there. I dabbled with turbo pascal and borland c++ until I settled for Quick Basic 4.5  ;D . And that's what I'm still using in the form of QB64.

jonza

Sorry about that. I was going to compliment your loading screen but got overwhelmed by memories and nostalgia. I was going to do something similar. I think I already have a C64 looking terminal emulator somewhere.

therevills

Small update:

• Collectables: Lasers, Bombs and Score
  • Lift Platforms: A bugger to get just right  ???
  • Fixed scrolling: It was only working "correcly" because the whole map was just 640x400... but messed up when extended
  • Converted JSON map reader to XML reader due to how slow MX2 parsed the JSON
  • Simple in-game GUI