Jack Deadly - 8 bit-wars comp entry

Started by therevills, February 08, 2019, 09:44:29

Previous topic - Next topic

therevills

therevills

Imerion

Wow, that was hard! But also fun! I really like the level design and graphics. Can also confirm it works great under WINE in Linux. :)

therevills

Glad you like it - so did you complete it? How many lives did you lose?  :))

Derron

Now I understand what they moaned about the "confusing/needs-to-get-used-to" controls :-)

PS: You use screen fading in a palette limited game ... tzt  ;D

bye
Ron

Imerion

QuoteGlad you like it - so did you complete it? How many lives did you lose?  :))

Not yet, it was indeed challenging. But in a quite fair way once you figured out what to do. I did lose many lives just to get through a bunch of screens into the first level though. But it was satisfying to prevail, so I'll probably go back and try to get further! :)

Derron

Should I wait for the laser and "move back" or just rush through? Most of the time such lasers in games are there to force you to "run and don't stop" - somehow this didn't work out everytime in my tries ;-)

PS: do not do screenshots of the "throw to screen death animation", poor boy scales ugly as hell (pixel-meat-mashup) :-)

bye
Ron

therevills

Quote from: Imerion on April 12, 2019, 23:18:01
But it was satisfying to prevail, so I'll probably go back and try to get further! :)

Great to hear :) Yeah these type of "try-again" platformer are challenging but once you get further it is satisfying.

Quote from: Derron on April 12, 2019, 20:53:58
Now I understand what they moaned about the "confusing/needs-to-get-used-to" controls :-)

You guys! You wouldn't even stand a chance with the originals!

Quote from: Derron on April 12, 2019, 20:53:58
PS: You use screen fading in a palette limited game ... tzt  ;D

True... but the spirit of the game is still there  :P

QuoteShould I wait for the laser and "move back" or just rush through?

Whatever works  ;D

Qube

QuoteYou guys! You wouldn't even stand a chance with the originals!
Give it another decade and you'll be hearing ( in a whiny child's voice ) "This games is too hard... It want's me to move around and do stuff"
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Quote from: Qube on April 13, 2019, 03:10:34
Give it another decade and you'll be hearing ( in a whiny child's voice ) "This games is too hard... It want's me to move around and do stuff"

Generation T(witch).
.. let others play for me.

Bye
Ron

therevills

Thanks to all that voted for my little (hard) game  ;D

With the comp over, v1.02 is re-released!

Added simple control mode, as some players found the classic controls too hard!

Z: Shoot Laser
X: Roll Bomb
Down + X: Place Bomb
C: Punch

https://therevillsgames.itch.io/jack-deadly