New TGC product: AGK Studio(=AGK3?) + discounts for early adopters..

Started by Rick Nasher, February 04, 2019, 23:10:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Nasher

(Letting the cat out of the bag: official AGK news, quoting straight from the TGC newsletter)

We are super excited to announce AppGameKit Studio - the natural successor to AppGameKit!

We've re-imagined the game development user interface with an all-in-one work space where you can drag & drop assets to visualise your scenes, code with AppGameKit Script, easily browse app media assets, run live debugging sessions, access online help and lots more!

AppGameKit Studio features a new Vulkan rendering graphics engine that will bring improved speed performance to your apps.
[EDIT: this looks familiar as blink0k also noted in GaborD's thread .]

It will work on Windows & Mac platforms and will export to Windows, Mac, iOS and Android.
[EDIT: No mention of Linux(!) My guess is that's because it's not a commercially viable platform, for which they released a lot of stuff sort of for free already under AGK2]
[EDIT2: Linux will apparently be supported when enough interest has shown]

AppGameKit Studio will be launched in June 2019 but as a thank you we are offering our community some great discounts as we lead up to its release.....

Early bird ordering will give you the best deal on the AppGameKit Studio launch price of $99:
•   Order during March and save 50% - $49
•   Order in April for a 40% discount - $59
•   Order in May to save 30% - $69

*)Watch out for our comms towards the end of February with details of how to pre-order and save money on the NEW AppGameKit Studio

COMMENT:
As I'm guessing my GPU is probably not Vulkan compatible(which is in essence OpenGL Next) I'd probably have to upgrade my hardware to be able to go for this update. But this could make for a good high-end alternative to the Unity or Unreal engines. Also apparently Vulkan will be mandatory for iOS releases in near future.

[EDIT2: Correction. Qube mentioned Vulkan isn't natively supported by iOS. Perhaps even the contrary is true? Also, a fall back mode to OpenGL is planned ]

Vulkan (API) Wikipedia

See this thread for latest news: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/223741

And from that RickV's first comment on the matter: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/223741#msg2638216

blinkok

From what i can see there it appears to be an amalgamation of the Visual editor and their IDE along with the Vulcan 3D render-er

Qube

QuoteAs I'm guessing my GPU is probably not Vulkan compatible(which is in essence OpenGL Next) I'd probably have to upgrade my hardware to be able to go for this update.
Considering there is also no official Vulkan support on Mac's then I assume they are using something like this although if that's the case I wonder how long before Apple crack down on Metal wrappers too? especially in iOS / AppStore.

QuoteFrom what i can see there it appears to be an amalgamation of the Visual editor and their IDE along with the Vulcan 3D render-er
That's what I take from it too. The description isn't very forthcoming and I assume it's still interpreted or else they would have sang about that very highly.

I think I'll wait for a lot more information about what it actually is before purchasing. Even if I end up paying full price as I'm not a fan of paying upfront for a product and waiting months for it to come out ( later if delayed ), testing it out or even knowing fully what it is.

Looks interesting and worth keeping an eye on but people are going to need a whole lot more detail before they drop any cash.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

GaborD

Fully compiled exes would be a great addition. My guess is a lot of people are asking for that.

Rick Nasher

So true.
I can't really think of any reason why they can't get that to work if they're able to interpret the byte code already. I'm assuming you'd just need a different compiler for every target. But hey I'm no expert. So it's easy talking.

I've got another few additions to the wish list:
- Asynchronous stuff, for instance for loading and such.
- A completely finished physics system, with vehicle physics for cars, boats, planes, rockets etc.
- A lighting system that contains spotlights built-in, for instance for headlights, flashlights etc.
- A billboard system for grass/foliage (can be coded by hand, but will be faster if done one in C++).

Xerra

Is this kind of like Gamemaker Studio AGK style? I own AGK and have tinkered with it a while back but was trying to learn Swift at the time so didn't really do much. It seemed to be ok as a language back then, however, so I'd be interested to have a look. I'd try to make a game with it probably just for the challenge.

However, I am using an old 2010 Mac for my development which does not support Metal or anything fancy like that so I'm not sure it's going to be a suitable machine for this. I do have a Mac mini as well but it's a mid-range 2015 model, so also possibly an issue although it does at least support Metal.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

GaborD

Quote from: Rick Nasher on February 05, 2019, 00:26:24
So true.
I can't really think of any reason why they can't get that to work if they're able to interpret the byte code already. I'm assuming you'd just need a different compiler for every target. But hey I'm no expert. So it's easy talking.

I've got another few additions to the wish list:
- Asynchronous stuff, for instance for loading and such.
- A completely finished physics system, with vehicle physics for cars, boats, planes, rockets etc.
- A lighting system that contains spotlights built-in, for instance for headlights, flashlights etc.
- A billboard system for grass/foliage (can be coded by hand, but will be faster if done one in C++).

Those are good.
Async loading would be great.

I would love to see some quality of life improvements for shader users, like accessing object/light matrices in shaders (like in NB). Little things like that save tons of hassle for lighting and especially shadows.

Rick Nasher

I'm intrigued by this line:
Quote* Export (exe, apk, ipa)

Wonder if they mean truly compiled exe's or the same interpreted byte code system?

Qube

Quote from: Rick Nasher on February 05, 2019, 18:13:55
I'm intrigued by this line:
Quote* Export (exe, apk, ipa)

Wonder if they mean truly compiled exe's or the same interpreted byte code system?
Nah, if they were adding a native code compiler then they would have highlighted that a lot better. I do think it'll still be compile to byte code.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Qube

Quote* The current AppGameKit will become know as AppGameKit Classic. We'll continue to ensure it's stable and maintained but the future will be focused on AppGameKit Studio.
So looks like if you want to get new features you'll have to shell out for the upcoming AGK Studio. Think I'll wait for a trial version as I'm not going to pay out if the IDE is broken on Mac like it currently is.

Until the next time.

blinkok

QuoteExport (exe, apk, ipa)
I wonder if it packages everything up into an .exe. bytecode, media etc

MichaelUK

What worries me I paid for the visual editor and it seems to be abandoned, if this does not sell will this be abandoned too.

Qube

QuoteWhat worries me I paid for the visual editor and it seems to be abandoned
I never bought the Visual Editor because to be honest I didn't see any value in it with the features advertised. It had nothing in it that you couldn't do yourself pretty quickly, easily and more akin to your way of working. It was seriously lacking in any real power to speed up your games / level design. Also I note that it never appeared to be in active development so interest never grew on that side either.

Overall I'd say the visual editor was rushed to market and due to lack of decent sales the author didn't continue with development and make it into the product it could / should have been. Another reason why I loathe early access stuff and wish people wouldn't buy products hoping and waiting for them to improve.

Until the next time.

Pakz

I bought a wireless keyboard for the ios and android version of agk. I sometimes am thinking if I should buy the win version. Maybe the price wil drop more dramatically.

I have been following the agk minecraft thread over at their forums. They seem to have difficulties in the way that agk does 3d. No easy way of assembling models yourself. In monkey2 it only takes a couple of lines to create a 3d quad. If this gets better then it might be more interesting.

MikeHart

Quote from: Pakz on February 06, 2019, 16:11:14
In monkey2 it only takes a couple of lines to create a 3d quad.
A 3D quad in AGK is called a plane. You need exactly 1 line of code to create it.  :P