Science fiction(movie) on space travel is amazing..

Started by Rick Nasher, February 04, 2019, 10:58:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Nasher

Most of you probably seen it before, but I came across this marvelous vid of a Disney produced fictional trip to the moon, with tech advisory by Wernher von Braun.
I only briefly went through it, but I actually didn't think they would be this good in the 50's. Kinda made me remember those wild claims by we all know who.  :))

Guess I underestimated American film tech for it looks not much worse than what was produced in the 60'or 70's like for instance Star Trek(forgot aired way back in 1966 already) or just look at Space: 1999 for comparison:

Oddly enough, in some areas it looks even better. Great camera work. And how did they simulate weightlessness? I think it's very well done for something just 10 years after WWII. Respect to the skill.

And here we are some 64 years later and what do we get? A flashback hehehe:

It's a mad world.

Madjack

blinkok

Apparently Disney World in Florida was meant to be a thousand times larger than it is today and incorporate cities and suburbs. Damn bean counters talked him out of it

Krischan

I learned more about space travel with a career in Kerbal Space Program than through all the science fiction movies and documentaries put together. This feeling when you run out of fuel or miss your rendezvous orbit shortly before you return home is indescribable. And my respect for those who have achieved this in reality has grown immeasurably. :o
Kind regards
Krischan

Windows 10 Pro | i7 9700K@ 3.6GHz | RTX 2080 8GB]
Metaverse | Blitzbasic Archive | My Github projects

Rick Nasher

@Madjack 
hehehe. forgot how bad the sfx were. hahaha It's still a classic though.  :D

@blink0k
Yeah and when he died they didn't continue his grant masterplan.  :(

@krischan
Indeed. Takes a brave man to go out into the void.
Especially if you ever felt the helplessness of being in an small inflatable, 2 persons kayak with 35 meters deep
water below you, in high winds, strong currents and no way to get to shore if the whole thing would go bust or tip over.  :o

Almost unimaginable what must be like in space with only a thin wall separating you from the nothingness..

3DzForMe

@madjack, just watched the clip through to the Valkyries boarding war rocket Ajax, Flash, àaaàa aahh, saviour of the universe!
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Naughty Alien

Derron

@ Naughty Alien
somehow the last 10 seconds (0:52 +) reminded me a bit on the Star Wars theme.

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Terrahawks, such an evocative theme tune, the zeroids! That takes me back.... Meanwhile back at the ranch.....

Rick Nasher

Don't recall this was ever broadcasted in The Netherlands. Only know of the Thunderbirds, but I was bit spoiled with shows like Star Trek and Space 1999 already to really like it.

Blake's 7 I used to like though. With the computer Orac and the always cynical Avon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmjPk4hzRXM

And also there was this creepy English show(well at least at my age) that had to do with time travel/ripples, but I do not recall what it was named unfortunately. I remember creepy kids singing an earie song: "a tissue, a tissue we all fall down", very reminiscent of the later Freddy Krueger girls singing a lullaby before all would go haywire.

3DzForMe

Aaahhh,  the Blake 7 theme tune, great stuff. The actress that played servelan (I think that was the baddy) was in something recently, she still looks great!

Damn:

Servelan: Jacqueline Pearce, RIP.

Sadly, she passed away last September. :'(

Xerra

Quote from: Rick Nasher on March 16, 2019, 23:51:05
Don't recall this was ever broadcasted in The Netherlands. Only know of the Thunderbirds, but I was bit spoiled with shows like Star Trek and Space 1999 already to really like it.

Blake's 7 I used to like though. With the computer Orac and the always cynical Avon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmjPk4hzRXM

And also there was this creepy English show(well at least at my age) that had to do with time travel/ripples, but I do not recall what it was named unfortunately. I remember creepy kids singing an earie song: "a tissue, a tissue we all fall down", very reminiscent of the later Freddy Krueger girls singing a lullaby before all would go haywire.

Lucky I remember all this stuff then. You're thinking of the first series of Saphire and Steel.

Blakes 7 was also a great (if cheap) Sci-fi show of the late 70's and early 80's. It doesn't stand up well today apart from some of the stories, unfortunately.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

3DzForMe

Sapphire and steel, I remember the one with no faces being quite unsettling as a lad!

iWasAdam

oooh Blakes 7  ;D

Series 2, Episode 6 - Trial:

The lovely silver jacket/costume worn by John Savident (Old Star Killer) is actually sitting in my wardrobe! Carefully zipped up and packed away...

Rick Nasher

Quote from: 3DzForMe on March 17, 2019, 07:26:42
Sapphire and steel, I remember the one with no faces being quite unsettling as a lad!

Wonderful! Many thanks, I never would have gotten the name of that series. Not to mention the chilling sound fx that scared the crap out of me, made my skin crawl!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-64-N0Owo-w
I recognize David McCallum & Joanna Lumley who both played in quite a few shows I liked.

Quote from: iWasAdam on March 17, 2019, 08:17:47
oooh Blakes 7  ;D

The lovely silver jacket/costume worn by John Savident (Old Star Killer) is actually sitting in my wardrobe! Carefully zipped up and packed away...
You are kidding!? Awesome dude! How on earth did you get that?

I'd love to one day build myself an original Cylon 'Toaster' model outfit,

Just imagine running into one of these in a dark alley after a hefty night of drinking.  :))
Would make a great Halloween outfit I think.

But then as a V2.0, meaning *not* neglecting the lower body half, for that was looking way to non-robotic on them.

Also not like the ones on the reboot series, for I never really liked those versions(couldn't stand to watch what they did with it really), more like:

which makes more sense.