Genus Prime - 8bit compo WIP

Started by Derron, February 02, 2019, 16:06:42

Previous topic - Next topic

DaiHard

"Expelled", or "Driven out"? suggests a forceful, active, removal, but hopefully not a brutal/terminal one?

D

Derron

Phew ... hay fever time. After these sunny days hazel nut et cetera start to bloom as if there was no tomorrow - so much I needed to take a Cetirizine - once done I know that the followup hours are "sleepy" and kind of "boozed" (which is why I won't take such stuff during serious work days).

Back to ontopic - got half an evening now to do something (after getting exhausted today by the kids - and the medicine).

- run it in debug mode and fixed some incorrect array accesses, color retrievals (wrong player color..)
- added gamestats and gamestats archive (so you can later see some curves on how you develop during a mission)
- AI now uses the tech tree and buys some missiles for planetary defence
- start screen now contains some animated stars (looks a bit less static)
- tweaked some values ("balancing")

Still a bit to do:
- [optional] diplomacy + diplomacy visuals/GUI
- missions (only a dozen or so)
- game profile (so storing missions you played/won already)
- music/sfx
- screens/windows: settings screen (audio, gfx, ...)
- screens/windows: help screen ("instructions / controls")
- screens/windows: loading/saving screen (or just provide 3 slots, might be more "c64 like")
- screens/windows: missions select screen
- screens/windows: skirmish setup screen

bye
Ron

Derron

Had a short peek during lunch break today and somehow ... on my windows laptop the ships slightly "flickered". Dunno if it was the laptop driver or the SDL opengl-BlitzMax NG connection.
I then added a "DrawRect(lastRenderedX,lastRenderedY,1,1)" with a gray color before I drew a rect of the same size, (almost) same position but the player color - and the flickering was a bit less visible. After rendering I updated "lastRenderedX/Y" to the current position. A bit like a "ghost effect" (but not always visible - as I updated positions during rendering, not during update/logic/physics).
Also I was of the opinion to see the "1,1 scaled to 2,2"pixels to look a bit squashed from time to time - as if the scale/rotate/... matrix is borked up. So I disabled scaling and let it play in glorious 320x200 - and it still kind of flickered.
If I "paused" the game (ships do not move) then no flickering was visible at all.

All ships only render at integer positions and the flickering seems not to be based on "x/y varieties" but as if the colors "flickered" a bit. VSync was on.
Rendering the ships with "w=2,h=2" instead of "1x1" and there is also no flickering visible - so its the "movement" which creates the effect.

Now I am back on my home computer and closely looked on the screen: it did not flicker. And yes I use delta timing etc. - and both computers are capable of maintaining the constant update/physics rates.

The laptop uses odd 58 hertz refresh rates - dunno if that "cheats my eyes"? I created screenshots and the image was crisp and the colors correct.

So why do I write the above? Such kind of "flickering" could create headaches/feeling of dizziness - which I do not want you/my fellow coders to experience. I dunno if I should add an option to the game which allows some "anti alias". If that was checked then I would draw a "alpha = 0.2 or so rectangle at the old position" or draw it at float-coordinates so that the movement isn't that "flickerish". Did not try yet so maybe it doesn't even help.

And as said: on my linux box it does not happen --- oh, now that I've typed this post it came to my mind that I could boot up linux on that intel/windows laptop to check if it is the display (for whatever reason). Will do once the kids are in bed.

bye
Ron

Derron

Think it might be an issue with the laptop itself - booted Linux and it has shown very similar issues while it run at a display refresh rate of 60Hz.

When I moved the application Window of the titlescreen I saw the stars ("burned" into the title screen image) to vanish while moving - as if some algorithm is trying to "cache" content.
Also the rocket "smudged" while doing so. As soon as I stopped dragging the window around all returned to behave as it should.
It used a 40Hz refresh rate (?!) and kept having this issue when going to a 60Hz refresh rate.

Ok ... thought about replicating it while moving a chrome window around - and guess what, grayish "thin" fonts were hidden during drag-around too. So I guess it is either a Windows issue - or something specific to this laptop.

As a screen cap does not show that issue I assume it is a Windows-Laptop-combination-thingy not worth to repair for now. Time is running out already.

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Yes indeed, time marches ever onwards, still, just a under 6 days left  :D
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Derron

Had less sparetime than thought - but at least finished a more or less "complete" statistics screen which for now is displayed after you won/lost. Maybe I just add an extra "button" or icon somewhere on the screen so you can have a look during play.

- chart curves
- clickable statistic entries will display the corresponding curve
- clickable player colors to display the stats of the player

bye
Ron

Xerra

I love that statistics screen. Great work !!
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Derron

It is only there to satisfy the desires of statistic junkies. I know there are players around who want to see such stuff ... and others who skip this stuff for sure.

Bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Love the graphs, seeing as I was Blitzplotter in a former life/forum, stands to reason really  8)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Derron

Finished writing some GUI widget stuff and painted widget sprites.
Settings screen (sound + graphics) done now - including effects (so setting the resolution changes stuff accordingly).

I can properly adjust volume now for effects and music (will come handy for my TVTower game) - yet there are no sound files to play for now :)

Lot of trial and error to position stuff the way I could accept it ... and then, 2 hours gone already (wife enjoys watching True Detective now so my place is on the couch not on the computer).

Hope to find some time tomorrow to create the skirmish/mission screen + Loading/saving boxes.

bye
Ron

Qube

Looks like it coming all together nicely :) - I know you love to critique, so here's mine. Fix your letter N :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Gui-stuff is interactive. There could of course be a lot of more stuff configured here and there - but I doubt anyone will really use it the next time.

@ Qube
The letter N is ... a bit hard in 3x5 pixels ;-) Especially if "M" and "H already just differ in the position of the vertical "1px bar".

wondered why you didn't blame my 4px-height-font's "3" (in fact there is no 8 as I was not able to pixel it in 4x4 and this restricted palette)

bye
Ron

Matty

You're amazing Derron.  That's so much work.

Qube

Cor, a C64 GUI, nice one :) - Look forward to playing the final game. Also don't forget to fix your weird shaped N. It would work better as an "n" shape #TopTipOfTheDay ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Quote from: Qube on March 29, 2019, 06:18:03
Also don't forget to fix your weird shaped N. It would work better as an "n" shape #TopTipOfTheDay ;D

You mean this way?

Fixed that TTF and licence is "100% free" so I am not sure if I was allowed to provide a "fixed" font file or better render everything as bitmap(font).

bye
Ron