Fireball Dungeon (C64 style) - 8bit wars compo entry

Started by craigd, March 14, 2019, 12:02:26

Previous topic - Next topic

craigd

I would have to change a lot more than that to truly emulate the C64 palette restrictions. Each floor tile has its own 4 colours which aren't common with most sprites sitting on top. To adhere to the true restrictions of the C64, the whole look of the game would have to change. And tbh I don't really want to go that route since it's not a bug, and we're only allowed to bugfix at this point. I see your point though and appreciate the help :)

Derron

You do not need to take "pixel block color restrictions" into account. Just do not use more than the allowed 16 cors on the screen. So no darkening/semi-transparencies...

Might be that your game does then not qualify to take part in the competition / listed as vote candidate.

As the sprites obey the color you could at least remove the color adjustments and disable the ghost semi-transparency.

That grid/pattern overlay was just a hint on how to darken an area. I use a similar approach in the backgrounds of some screens in my entry Genus Prime.

Bye
Ron

Qube

Quote from: craigd on April 03, 2019, 16:06:44

Quote from: Derron on April 03, 2019, 13:37:50
You shouldn't use semi-transparency for the ghost - the image above has 65 colors.
Removing the ghost (drew a black rectangle above it) I still see 58 colors.

Dunno how this happens and if this is allowed to get "bugfixed" during this week (For me it would be ok - maybe you did not "color pick" your colors but used a "looks like this green" workflow).
I did not check it further - but some "ground tiles" look darker: did you by any chance tint them individually ("SetColor 200, 200, 200" before drawing them to make them a bit darker) ? If so - just remove that tint ("bugfix").

Ahh yeah. I forgot to mention that. The only time I was going by C64 colour limits was in MultiPaint. That was enough of a challenge for me haha

NOTE: I've attached the dungeon graphics sheet I was working with (some test stuff in there..) to show it can be loaded straight into MultiPaint.

Once in the engine, I kind of gave up on colour palette limits. The floor is drawn at half transparency over a black background, while some tiles are drawn with even less, for a bit of variety. At full brightness, I felt like my eyeballs were being stabbed ;p

The transparency of the ghost was quite important in this game but I never got to implement that side of things...

Thanks for checking it out :)
Yeah, 65 colours is way above the palette provided for the C64 - Sorry but you're going to have to fix your game before the week of bug fixes closes on Sunday 7th @ 23:59:59 GMT. You posted the correct sprite sheet so you'll have to change over to that and get rid of any alpha sprites as that increases colours too. As stated in other threads, if an entry has a colour or two by accident then that will still be valid entry but 65 colours will not as that's unfair to the other entries.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.