February 16, 2019, 02:21:20 AM

Author Topic: Genus Prime - 8bit compo WIP  (Read 109 times)

Offline Derron

Genus Prime - 8bit compo WIP
« on: February 02, 2019, 04:06:42 PM »
Here is a little WIP-Thread for "Genus Prime", a fast paced sci-fi-strategy game.

A WIP of the title screen (need to redo many pixels as it looks kind of dirty/ugly, using the "spray can" in GrafX can destroy stuff it seems).
It uses more colors than the 16 ones (for now 23 - but could surely reduce to 16) as I planned to use the color-alternation trick. Means it would limit me to classic MCI or newer IFLI)..

Without exposing too much gameplay, here is a WIP shot of the interface:

For now I did not check if it is fully IFLI/NUFLI compliant - as creating this low-res stuff is already taking way longer than programming the basic gameplay (the basic game principle is already working - after 2 evenings of coding). Rendering the whole stuff and creating some vector stuff or layer-style-based-Photoshop-magic would take an evening but here every pixel counts.

I tried a whole lot to work with "GrafX2" but it just behaves so differently to the paint programmes I am used to (talking about GUI, not the painting itself). The game interface was now created in my old Photoshop CS1 with a C64 palette in an other image (alt+click for palette select).

I thought about adding more colors for "variation" and better color ramps but ... yeah... as said asset creation takes way more time and then there will _surely_ be people around here who blame that this GFX is not possible on real C64 hardware or that I did not follow the (you-do-not-have-to-strictly-follow) rules.

Noteworthy too: I use a mouse for interaction as gamepad would not allow the (fast paced) gameplay I want to use. Also I ignore hardware sprite limits and other stuff. In essence it is kind of an 320x200*16 game. Going down much further is just making my eyes bleed :-)

bye
Ron

Offline Qube

• Administrator
Re: Genus Prime - 8bit compo WIP
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 06:20:55 PM »
Looks good :)

there will _surely_ be people around here who blame that this GFX is not possible on real C64 hardware or that I did not follow the (you-do-not-have-to-strictly-follow) rules.
You could with this trick although it doesn't work for all colours.
Until the next time...

Offline Derron

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 06:37:50 PM »
I wrote functions for alterating colors for the retro xmas 2017 compo already.
Including functions to autocreate the needed sprites out of the "multicolor" image.

For color selection I use CIElab (perceived color distance). Which works pretty well with the "dusty" color palette of the C64.

On my 60Hz TFT screen I have some flickers every now and then. Think that would not happen that "stuttering" way on a C64+CRT. Which is why I have a flag to disable alternation of colors. It would then directly use the RGB value created by mixing the two C64 colord.

Bye
Ron

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 06:58:47 PM »
Yes, I doubt you would see it on a CRT as much as you would on a TFT and having the toggle option is a good idea as no doubt those that have high Hz and fast ms response times will see the flicker even more. Will be interesting to see it in action though and find out who gets little to no flicker and who's eyes melt out :P
Until the next time...