February 16, 2019, 02:29:45 AM

Author Topic: Heart Score abstract shmup WIP  (Read 178 times)

Offline chessish

Heart Score abstract shmup WIP
« on: February 02, 2019, 08:43:40 AM »
Here is what i have done so far, the first level of my game.
Move the ship (yellow square) with AWSD. Aim at objects with your "scanner" floating in front of your "ship". Slow down with the space key.
Game ends when pressing escape.

I am constantly working on this game so i started this devlog.     

No animations yet. No score saving

I am looking for general feedback just to see if my ideas are any good and will keep this thread updated.

Below are some screenshots and the download link:

https://www.file-upload.net/download-13491789/HeartScoreDemo.zip.html

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
Re: Heart Score abstract shmup WIP
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »
I've had a play with your game today so thought I'd give you a bit of feedback.

The idea is interesting but there definitely needs to be more feedback when your scanner is over objects so you get a feeling that you're breaking it down. At the moment you seem to have random words which do suggest place-holders so I'm assuming you already have this in mind.

I do like the large boss-type ships coming down even if I'm not sure how we're supposed to be taking them down as there's no real clue.

Only discovered you collect the yellow gems that are thrown out from enemies randomly are actually collectable. I assumed they were shots and avoided them for a while.

Question on the graphics, though. I'm not a fan of the visual style you're using. I do think this would work a lot better with simulated metal using whatever machine you are trying to emulates grey colours with white and black. To add to this, what machine are you simulating here? I didn't look very closely but this doesn't seem to be a game that could be running on one of the 8 bit computers the competition is about.

Last thing I really thought while playing: Everything could be moving quicker. Not sure it's possible to die in your game yet but i didn't when playing it and I think I reached the end. Making it faster would be much more exciting as long as the scanner update speed matches, of course.

Good luck with finishing it.

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:34:02 PM »
Actually, I just noticed you haven't said if this is a competition game. Apologies if it's not. I just made an assumption based on the date you posted the worklog. Ignore all my comments about the graphics and palette if so.

Offline chessish

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 01:06:20 PM »
Thank you for your feedback.

it is possible to die in this it is playing a sound when hit.
Game is over when you reach 0 lives.

Well the game is not for the competition, i just felt about posting it.
About the graphical style: i think only a few people like abstract graphics :)
did you at least have a bit of fun playing it?