3DzForMe's 8-bit wars comp entry - The Big Dark Adventure

Started by 3DzForMe, February 02, 2019, 07:31:20

Previous topic - Next topic

3DzForMe

Windows XP installed, only bootable media could locate, miraculously got Speecy files off dead computer, back in the game. Defo glitches in the Matrix..... ;D

3 rooms left 2 draw....
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

3DzForMe

Back devving on my 560 pence laptop.

Ages to go yet... :P

Steve Elliott

Winows XP??!  The Man Cave needs an upgrade.

It sounds like you're nearly there.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

Spectrum 48K Entry:--

(Works on 32 and 64bit windows)

Download The Big Dark Adventure from the link below:---

3DzForMe

Quote from: Steve Elliott on March 31, 2019, 19:23:15
Winows XP??!  The Man Cave needs an upgrade.

It sounds like you're nearly there.

XP CD saved my bacon, or at least saved me doing more 'hardware' support than I wanted.....

Suspecting my man cave may have let some damp grow on my C Drive, buggeration.

Anyway....

All Done now ;)

MrmediamanX

It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

3DzForMe

QuoteNAILED IT!!!  ;) rest up man you earned it.  ;)

Thanks man, this competition has motivated me to download Notepad++ to dust off my HTML skills (small as they are) with something associated with this 8-bit challenge.

I REALLY needed a break from coding..... might try and debug my current version just to suss why the title page isn't working (I did have one prior to commenting out my loading routine whilst developing - was somewhat sickened that it plain refused to work after uncommenting  just before submission last sunday.

Derron

I skipped the loading screen intentionally -- something you most often used to go for a pee or so ;)

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Yeah, I got a little imaginative with the loading shpiel, done no work finding my title screen, however started work on a little web page showcoding the entries. My arms aching a bit, so giving up for now - been scouring the various pages for peoples entries. Only got a few in so far......

The ones I haven't got / found yet - if you want to reply on this thread regarding the page you want folks to find your download on I'll add it to the web page once I'm back from the shops.

http://www.gpsrunner.co.uk/8bitfun.html

iWasAdam

Viva Mortis is 64bit (MacOS, Windows 10 or Linux) all the way. There is no 32bit compiles for MacOS, Windows 10 or Linux

3DzForMe

Viva Mortis is 64bit (MacOS, Windows 10 or Linux) all the way - fixed!

iWasAdam

ooh, you're good :)

Genus prime is a commodore entry

Derron

He did not state anything else ... it is just another entry - which namingly is Qube's. And he misses a line break/vertical spacer - and a screenshot and link ...

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Updated the webpage a little with more links and shuffled stuff around a little, am sure theres a few more entries, I need to dig around in the threads a little more - sorry if I haven't included yours yet - however I've done NO bug fixing today (still haven't seen why my title screen has went to....) - however, my community spirit is shinig thru with a little old webpage. :))

Thanks again to Qube for running the competition. ;D

3DzForMe

Xerra - thankyou for your feedback:

Quoteight on command also went and found a key , unlocked door and prompted me to try the handle? Like it's doing half the adventure for me.
Pictures appear, scroll up the screen and then are gone. Shouldn't they be static?
Text overwrites into the edge of the screen so can't read some of it.
After typing in a command it waits for a keypress - why?
Seem to get thirsty and hungry very quickly.
Room descriptions don't work for me. Hallway four, etc. Too similar. I went around a few locations but had no real feeling I knew where I was going as I bounced back into the cell a fair bit. When going east I'm told there's an exit to the East but not to the West where I had just come from. Very illogical.
Some descriptions incomplete. The whooshing sound of strong ......... strong what? Waves, I assume?
Probably within 10 moves or so after starting I was dead. I had no idea what caused this although it was probably thirst or starvation. Or had I fallen into the river rapids?
As I said, I'd like to see if it plays better on a proper machine where maybe it's laid out how you meant it to be but I struggled to work anything out with the few times I played as far as I could.

light on / go north performing same function in first room - I'd such aspirations for need ing to open a chest, find a key, turn the light on before being able to open the door. You can see my ambition for the scale of the project prevented this from happening... I should've change it to the 'The Slightly Less Big Dark Adventure'.

I took the decision to scroll the pictures off the screen to allow for more text, I'd problems getting the spectrum font to appear in Blitz3D in a small enough fashion so it was readable.

Text overwriting the edge of the screen - yeah, poor attention to detail here, time was against me.

The key press was solved in the version you could compile for yourself (found this simple bug after bug deadline - an errant 'waitkey' command left in the GoWest.bb code.

I'd an aspiration for 50-100 locations, the first nine or so were going to give the feeling of being trapped in a wierd structure hanging over a casm with a river below it.... appreciate the 'randomeness' of my scripting. Even my daughter crtiqued it in this fashion.  ^-^

Your hunger, tiredness and thirst all required 10 room moves to decrement the life force to nil - thanks for playing it long enough to establish this ;)

QuoteAs I said, I'd like to see if it plays better on a proper machine where maybe it's laid out how you meant it to be but I struggled to work anything out with the few times I played as far as I could.

I wouldn't play it any longer - you did well playing it as much as you did!