3DzForMe's 8-bit wars comp entry - The Big Dark Adventure

Started by 3DzForMe, February 02, 2019, 07:31:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Elliott

Reminds me of The Hobbit on the Speccy.  The graphics have a certain sketch-like graphics style.  Nice.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

@Steve, thanks, you've inspired me to code a little more. I'm starting to gather that my usual old requirements creep thing is coming in to play.... again.

[EDIT] Just worked in a generic light on function that'll work with most rooms - just need to remember I tied it into some go North binary logic.  :-\
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

MrmediamanX

nice ... I almost thought it was an amstrad cpc game you were going for there, for a quick minute .. no idea why.
I tend to confuse the spectrum and amstrad some times graphics wise ... probably due to how some of the earlier games looked on both systems.
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Qube

Quote from: 3DzForMe on February 22, 2019, 08:20:17
first room imagery, home sweet home....
Now there's some classic retro looking graphics right there - Reminds me of the early games on the ZX Spectrum 16K ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Quotetend to confuse the spectrum and amstrad some times graphics wise ... probably due to how some of the earlier games looked on both systems.[\quote]

Yeah, its interesting to see how Mr Sinclair and Mr Sugar have fared compared to (who?) ended up piloting the great ship commodore into the dirt. Yep, back in the day I was a HUGE spectrum advocate having written my own battleships (with AI) and platformer(s)  - alll in ZX Basic! Halcyon days - some 35 years ago now! A big thank you to Qube for helping me to code yet another title in the ZX format - using the number 1 coder's weapon of choice Blitz Basic.

Defo took commodore to my heart though, I think I'd an A500, A600 and eventually an A1200 where I refound my love for coding thanks to Mark Sibly's Blitz Basic 2.1. A brief slice of Visual Basic 6 (again hobby coding) before I clocked a demo of Blitz 3D on the front of PC Format. I can recall thinking 'what? a 3D version of my fave coding language on the 1200....'

The last two nights, I've been true to Syntax Bomb's '....they mostly code at night', here's me up at 0430 tapping away resolving my slightly bugged graphics rolling routine.

QuoteNow there's some classic retro looking graphics right there - Reminds me of the early games on the ZX Spectrum 16K ;D [\quote]

Cheers ;D - I checked out a video of the old hobbit - that took me back. My Big Dark Adventure has some more bells and whistles  :o  ;D

.....I just need to not get to ambitious.... he says  ;D

3DzForMe

Quote from: 3DzForMe on February 23, 2019, 05:09:06
tend to confuse the spectrum and amstrad some times graphics wise ... probably due to how some of the earlier games looked on both systems.

Yeah, its interesting to see how Mr Sinclair and Mr Sugar have fared compared to (who?) ended up piloting the great ship commodore into the dirt. Yep, back in the day I was a HUGE spectrum advocate having written my own battleships (with AI) and platformer(s)  - alll in ZX Basic! Halcyon days - some 35 years ago now! A big thank you to Qube for helping me to code yet another title in the ZX format - using the number 1 coder's weapon of choice Blitz Basic.

Defo took commodore to my heart though, I think I'd an A500, A600 and eventually an A1200 where I refound my love for coding thanks to Mark Sibly's Blitz Basic 2.1. A brief slice of Visual Basic 6 (again hobby coding) before I clocked a demo of Blitz 3D on the front of PC Format. I can recall thinking 'what? a 3D version of my fave coding language on the 1200....'

The last two nights, I've been true to Syntax Bomb's '....they mostly code at night', here's me up at 0430 tapping away resolving my slightly bugged graphics rolling routine.

QuoteNow there's some classic retro looking graphics right there - Reminds me of the early games on the ZX Spectrum 16K ;D

Cheers ;D - I checked out a video of the old hobbit - that took me back. My Big Dark Adventure has some more bells and whistles  :o  ;D

.....I just need to not get too ambitious.... he says  ;D

3DzForMe

okay... just got to the bottom of a 'bug' whereby I could not use the same include file to show different images scrolling up the screen depedant upon a room_variable. Work around, call EXACTLY the same code within a different filename with a different variable.

Time Passes..... {there goes about another 2 hours and at least 10 more hair folicles - hair suitably torn out}

Must've been something to do with garbage collection in the compiler or something, looks like I'm going to be up to about 50 separate files - in a ZX Spectrum project - not sure thats 'too authentic'.

:-\  :P

3DzForMe

Final update until next weekend.... Got the 'third' rooms graphics scrolling away hobbit-esque style - after a fashion.

3DzForMe

Okay, I lied, this competition has got me by the short and curlies. I hate debugging in spectrum pixels and font.... what am I doing!!! Just realised, yeah the final thing has to be in a ridiculously small pixel thing, but I can add an extra 3 screens worth of size for debug. Here is the hell of my debug until I made this revelation. And no, I'm not getting to old to do this... just yet.

iWasAdam

ok, really simple trick for this.
1. first your font is 8x8, so you will need a 1 pixel pad, so your font is 7x7, but you have a (drop for pg, etc) so your usable font space is 7x6 pixel per 8x8 block

2. for any character position its always a multiple of 8.
so DrawText( "hello",0,0) is start drawing at 0x8,0x8 (it looks like you are drawing at arbitrary pixel positions. DON'T, the spectrum couldn't really do that)

3. Start by writing a simple text output routine:
Method DrawText( text:string, x:int, y:int )
xp:int = x*8
yp:int = y*8
pos:int
for pos = 0 to text.Length-1
DrawChar(text.Mid(pos,1),xp,yp
xp = xp + 8
next
end method

that should always draw the text at the correct screen position for you. :)

3DzForMe

Thanks for the steer. Think I'd to use font size 13, 12  looked crap. :))

3DzForMe

Now, if only I could recall how to use GIMP.... its a long road.

Its okay, my GIMP Goddess (The wife) has returned from dropping our son off at work... Now I just need to recall to do the following:

MrmediamanX

QuoteNow, if only I could recall how to use GIMP.... its a long road.

GIMP ? ... come on, MS Paint classic is where it's at. 8)
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

3DzForMe

QuoteGIMP ? ... come on, MS Paint classic is where it's at. 8)
GIMP lets you use the Spectrum Pallette without too much Phaff, and after a little instruction from the wife, got my second room done!

Also, I think IBM used to have a policy that each file should not exceed 28 lines... Well I'm nearly adhering to that with my individual room files:

Apparently the Hobbit sold 1000000 copies - WOW!

I'll be happy if 10 people try my big dark adventure. :)

Xerra

You really should have done your adventure for the last competition. Less opposition for starters :-)
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/