Choco Cookies for everyone! PBR-HDR test in AGK

Started by GaborD, January 30, 2019, 16:07:02

Previous topic - Next topic

GaborD

Just a fun little test for my rendering pipeline.
Runs better than I would have thought, the scene has a pretty high poly count and lots of textures.

It's basically just pretty straight forward high range HDR and PBR bruteforce test with lots of post shenanigans.
Does have dual lightmapping (like in my lightmapper tests), so that I can add dynamic shadows to the soft precomputed ones without issues.
Also had an idea for a fun way to do glass, I wanted to be able to do it without having to render the scene twice. (usually you would render a refraction texture and then use that when rendering the main scene, but I found a way to do it with just one scene render. Gotta love how flexible AGK is). Plus I wanted the refractions and reflections from the back walls of the objects too anyway, which a traditional method wouldn't have correctly reproduced.

As usual, images are linked to the full sized versions, which are direct unprocessed grabs from AGK.

Qube

WOW!! that looks fantastic. Really really nice work you've got there :o

Package up the shaders, make a product and demand cash from me ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

therevills

Very nice! On first glace I thought they were proper photos!

Rick Nasher

R-U-Kidding me??? This is so absolutely stunning. I almost can't believe it's *not* real, but done in AGK!   :o

Only thing that could give it away is that there is no dirt, stains on the tablecloth and chairseat nor any breadcrumbs, i.a.w: it's super clean and perfect.
(could still be like that though in real life, when someone was overly tidy, like my.. ahum, gf. ;D )

Truly amazed.  8) Like this gonna be really hard to tell fake from real in future.

Didn't see you post the screenshots on AGK's forum, but I think you should for it's a real good demo of what a capable person like yourself can achieve with AGK and is good advertisement for them, which might help them gain some good o'l dirty c€$h so can keep developing.

GaborD

:) Thanks guys.

@Rick Nasher
Yeah AGK is much more powerful than most people give it credit for.
I will post a thread over there once it is finished, this will be a much bigger demo level showing off some fun effects.
Dirtying it up a bit is a good idea. :)

@Cube
Unfortunately the shaders are just 10% of it. Would have to build an extensive addon so that people can create all the needed data to feed the shaders and also run a fully HDR post chain.
Just as an example: How would users capture and convolute the correct reflection probes for the levels? And would they know how to store HDR high precision data without FP texture access? When it comes to PBR, the devil is in the details.  :D
But we will see, would definitely be a fun challenge to make it user friendly. Have to finish the particle project first though.

Xerra

I'm seriously impressed with this work as well, in all honesty. I assume you do this for a living. If not then why not?
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

GaborD

I wish.  :P
Unfortunately I have to waste my time with contract work on web/mobile nonsense to get through the month.

Optimized the material shaders a bit and worked on the main particle system. Time to add the effects next, it's slowly starting to shape up.

Derron

As nobody is brave enough to nitpick ;-)
Is this an orange fruit or a peach? If it was an orange it should not have this kind of fresnel effect of incoming backlight. Maybe it is a peach - as it also does not "reflect" as much as an orange would. So excuse If I mix fruits here ;-)

Aside of that: looks preeetty good - albeit I would not put so many promotional products in my kitchen.

PS: I miss the cheese - you got a cheese knife laying around but no tasty cheese. Put some in there - good chance to have shaders for some "melting" stuff (think of some french cheese).

PPS: As said by others: it looks too clean. Add some breadcrumbs, Finger prints on the glass. Why? You want to show a _living_area_ (with the sketch book laying around etc.)

PPPS: Still looks way/tons better than what I can _render_. Maybe add some camera-animated shots - aka "videos2".

Edit: After posting my eyes fell on the handle of the electric kettle: it has very similar issues with either fresnell or some kind of "subsurface scattering" (as if it was "wax" or thin plastic):

Is there a reason for it to "shine" so much? Maybe it's a light source not visible in the scene (way more on the "right") ?

bye
Ron

GaborD

That's just an old probe I forgot to redo, the shadow of the object itself is missing in the probe. The later ones are correct, but some still need to be redone. But I want to finish the scene first and then run an entire new pass because I am still changing some textures around.

Derron

Think you talked about the electric kettle? Wrong probe data might explain stuff. That's the issue with "prepared data". Just wait X years and we get it in real-time ;-)

So: is it an orange or a peach? (orange = bit of reflection, peach: receives a kind of fresnel because of its hairy skin).

bye
Ron

Qube

@GaborD, Silly question but could you do a camera flyby around the scene for a youtube video ( would be a cool demo ) or does this only work for static scenes?
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

GaborD

Improved some of the geometry and redid a few probes, plus added an extra shader for multi-probe objects (some just looked too weird with only 1).
Also added an object based f0 control for coated objects where the default isn't a 100% fit and tweaked some roughness values.
Plus finally adding the particles, which is what this is all about.

@Qube Yeah can capture one. I actually ordered a capture card over the weekend, but they delivered the wrong one today lol. Gonna try with Shadowplay, hope that works. Both Fraps and Bandicam are kinda unusable for anything above 720p if you want 60FPS vids.

blinkok

New TGC product AGK Studio. Is there a connection here?