Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MrmediamanX

Quote from: Steve Elliott on February 15, 2019, 15:23:57
Nice work.   :D

props man, this comp has been one heck of learning experience thus far.
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

jonza

Quote from: MrmediamanX on February 15, 2019, 15:13:40
Quote from: Qube on February 15, 2019, 15:02:54
Looking great :)

Thanks man ... hopefully the colors are ok, it's the only thing I keep racking my brain on to "insane" degrees.
It just looks to colorful for what it should look like, even though the sprite's use 4 colors and your c64 pallet.
unless I cut the colors down to 2 or 3 per sprite or something ... it'll be a ton of work, which I think I don't have time for.

Looks great!

Colourwise you could almost pull this of on a real c64. You would probably run out of sprites to layer thought.

c64 sprites has 2 global colours that are same for all sprites, and one custom colour that is unique for all 8 sprites. Fourth "colour" is transparency. Multicolour characters have three global colours, that can be different from the global sprite colours. Multicolour chars can only use first 8 colours for their custom colour, so you probably need to sacrafice black from your more complicated backgrounds in order to get both browns (8 & 9) and both greens (6 & 13). You could still do black, but only in places with no brown or light green. but not around dark green.

Giana sisters layered three sprites to make 6 coloured Giana. Sprites had both reds globally. 1 sprite added yellow, second blue. Third one was a white hi-res sprite that masked the level background to make eyeballs and feet more detailed and was offset to make her a bit taller. Her eyes change colour depending on the level. Global character colours depended on the level.

That scene is already using 6 of the 8 sprites (2 multicolour & 4 hi-res), Multicolour characters (all the red stuff), and four hi-res characters for the diamonds.

Edit: This scene: https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/File:thegreatgianasisterbonus.png

MrmediamanX

Thanks man ... I had feeling something was off even after a bit R&D. upon converting my character sprite, I started noticing how the few colors used for each of the certain sprite's were shared.

I began noticing the problem when working on the shield sprites ... but just managed to pull it off some how.
it's just a matter of testing out the theory...not sure how I plan on doing that just yet.
I'm currently using sprite pad+ to convert as many sprites as I can.

Steve Elliott

Looks very authentic, don't worry and move on with gameplay.   :)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MrmediamanX

Im done ... the game is done ... my pants are done, it's as done as done :D
There's not really a whole lot to show, just a few screen's and an additional little project unrelated to this game. 8)

Qube

Quote from: MrmediamanX on February 26, 2019, 01:54:10
Im done ... the game is done ... my pants are done, it's as done as done :D
There's not really a whole lot to show, just a few screen's and an additional little project unrelated to this game. 8)
Your comp entry is finished? :o already? :o - Cool, so 4 weeks to tweak and add more to make it even more special ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

blinkok

Those are some stunning screens shots! Great art work!

Qube

Quote from: blinkok on February 26, 2019, 02:17:09
Those are some stunning screens shots! Great art work!
They all look pretty cool don't they. Great art work and very C64 looking.

Kinda funny for bringing back memories as the character in the 1st screenshot reminds me a bit of the girl from Gem'X on the Amiga, the 2nd one PopEye's enemy Bluto and the 3rd character is like one from Shuffle Puck Cafe :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

MrmediamanX

QuoteKinda funny for bringing back memories as the character in the 1st screenshot reminds me a bit of the girl from Gem'X on the Amiga, the 2nd one PopEye's enemy Bluto and the 3rd character is like one from Shuffle Puck Cafe :P

totally, I wanted to throw a few references in there ... heck even the last boss fight music use's moonlight sonata ... a throw back to jet set willy. :D

just added a 2nd ending because heck why not.
still on the fence about adding additional que's/prompts [example] I still have an unused Up arrow prompt for doors, just incase no one reads the manual. adding something like that in could make it easier to pickup and play at the expense of nostalgia/overall classic feel.   

Derron

Very nice character art.

Hope gameplay deserves such good sprites :-)

bye
Ron

Xerra

Done?  :o

Already?  :o

Holy crap, I'm around 25% away from half done, I reckon! Wish I could put a game together this quick..

Artwork looks fantastic so looking forward to having a play. Especially seeing my tribute character in there somewhere ;-)
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

craigd

3DzForMe

Done, jeez, My Devs creeping along, then again I didn't factor in time for a makeshift man cave to code in!

We'll done on completion! :P
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

MrmediamanX

Its go time folks ..... for me at leased  :D
if you come across any bugs/glitches/issues just sound off and i'll do what I can fix em ... cool. 8)   
download link can be found in the first post.