February 16, 2019, 02:22:56 AM

Author Topic: 3071 - 8bit-wars comp entry  (Read 814 times)

Offline iWasAdam

Re: 3071 - 8bit-wars comp entry
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »
First parallax test animation - with clock countdown:

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 05:03:17 PM »
The bottom line seems to be in a world of it's own? Is there some kind of other function for this or will it be scrolling with the rest of the screen?

Love how you've made it a block scroller so you can simulate speed on the Spectrum. Having a pixel scroll at rapid speed would have been very unlikely on the original hardware if it had this much going on. Especially in parallax. Great work.

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2019, 08:33:16 AM »
I toyed with a pixel scroller for the background, but the block scroller worked just as well  :D

I've been busy trying to think about how the story and enemies etc all fit together and come up with a simple hook.

So I've thought about the undead/mechanics and 'ghosts n ghouls" as a sort of base concept.

I have a feeling that this little chap wont stay quiet in his grave for long....

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 07:07:58 AM »
not much progress, but I have got a jewel and a chest now. so at least there will be something to collect along the way...

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2019, 05:36:40 AM »
not much progress, but I have got a jewel and a chest now. so at least there will be something to collect along the way...

Looks like the chest flips up to become a desk with an old CRT monitor ;D - Mind you that looks a whole load better than what I drew today which was so bad I secure erased it for 30 minutes to get rid of the evidence ::)

I have a feeling that this little chap wont stay quiet in his grave for long....

Do like those char based graphics, the old geek in me just loves things like that. They must be great fun to create or really driving you nuts to do? :P
Until the next time...

Offline GaborD

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2019, 05:46:49 AM »
Looks like the chest flips up to become a desk with an old CRT monitor ;D

Multifunctional storage appliances are all the rage nowadays.

On a more serious note, this looks very promising. Captures the "good old days"-vibe.
And that clock countdown effect is great!

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2019, 07:48:41 AM »
Well. I'm trying - hehehe

But the old school monitor comment gave me a thought:

As for the font itself. I've just about run out of character to play with:

I sacrificed the lower case characters for a few added graphics. but thats it! (I can post the actual fontsprite png if you want?)

TBH it's a bit of a brain scratch at times. But once you get in the flow it's kinda fun to have both hands tied behind your back and still come up with the goods... (whilst trying to get the sequencer to make a sound as well)

Offline Derron

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2019, 08:49:46 AM »
If you made the "steps" steeper then you could get rid of some chars - as you need less characters from "bottom to top".

A pity you can't render chars mirrored/rotated as you would get rid of all these "duplicates".

I do not know the system - but can you render the character multiple times / on top of each other? If done properly you could use the "_.-'"-line-steps to "subtract" from a "block" character to simulate the characters whith the "cut out"-line-steps ?!

bye
Ron

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 09:16:41 AM »
Oh, my, good looking work!
happy coding ;)