3071 - 8bit-wars comp entry

Started by iWasAdam, January 29, 2019, 08:45:01

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

First parallax test animation - with clock countdown:

Xerra

The bottom line seems to be in a world of it's own? Is there some kind of other function for this or will it be scrolling with the rest of the screen?

Love how you've made it a block scroller so you can simulate speed on the Spectrum. Having a pixel scroll at rapid speed would have been very unlikely on the original hardware if it had this much going on. Especially in parallax. Great work.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

iWasAdam

I toyed with a pixel scroller for the background, but the block scroller worked just as well  :D

I've been busy trying to think about how the story and enemies etc all fit together and come up with a simple hook.

So I've thought about the undead/mechanics and 'ghosts n ghouls" as a sort of base concept.

I have a feeling that this little chap wont stay quiet in his grave for long....

iWasAdam

not much progress, but I have got a jewel and a chest now. so at least there will be something to collect along the way...

Qube

Quote from: iWasAdam on February 08, 2019, 07:07:58
not much progress, but I have got a jewel and a chest now. so at least there will be something to collect along the way...

Looks like the chest flips up to become a desk with an old CRT monitor ;D - Mind you that looks a whole load better than what I drew today which was so bad I secure erased it for 30 minutes to get rid of the evidence ::)

Quote from: iWasAdam on February 05, 2019, 08:33:16
I have a feeling that this little chap wont stay quiet in his grave for long....

Do like those char based graphics, the old geek in me just loves things like that. They must be great fun to create or really driving you nuts to do? :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

GaborD

Quote from: Qube on February 09, 2019, 05:36:40
Looks like the chest flips up to become a desk with an old CRT monitor ;D

Multifunctional storage appliances are all the rage nowadays.

On a more serious note, this looks very promising. Captures the "good old days"-vibe.
And that clock countdown effect is great!

iWasAdam

Well. I'm trying - hehehe

But the old school monitor comment gave me a thought:

As for the font itself. I've just about run out of character to play with:

I sacrificed the lower case characters for a few added graphics. but thats it! (I can post the actual fontsprite png if you want?)

TBH it's a bit of a brain scratch at times. But once you get in the flow it's kinda fun to have both hands tied behind your back and still come up with the goods... (whilst trying to get the sequencer to make a sound as well)

Derron

If you made the "steps" steeper then you could get rid of some chars - as you need less characters from "bottom to top".

A pity you can't render chars mirrored/rotated as you would get rid of all these "duplicates".

I do not know the system - but can you render the character multiple times / on top of each other? If done properly you could use the "_.-'"-line-steps to "subtract" from a "block" character to simulate the characters whith the "cut out"-line-steps ?!

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

iWasAdam

not much to show atm.  :o
I've been working hard on the sound side of things (the other big project I'm working on).

Good news is the sequencer part seems to work now and even allows realtime recording of notes along with correct note length. Not really game related. but it's big for me  8)

But on the game front I have been mulling things over about how to approach the basic gameplay:
There will be 3 levels (i hope). you might need to go left/right on some levels and possibly u/down as well?
Maybe there is some form of transport as well?

iWasAdam

Still no game update as working on sound stuff.  :-[

But the update on the sound front is... TADA
each sound now has a set of control parameters, these can (finally) be loaded and saved, and also done as a complete 'data block' that has everything in a single file including sound!

Next up will be to load and save sequences and add them to the sound pack and I'm done!

And I'm hearing a 'But WTF is it all about?'
The quick answer is "It's a completely real-time programmable 16 voice synth (in mono or stereo, or create it's own stereo fields) that can emulate anything from chip-sounds through samples and mangle and create new sounds from nothing and... and.... and....'

Qube

Nice to hear you've got it complete, I expect a full on glorious 8-bit beep beep toot toot soundtrack ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

MrmediamanX

Holy dang man ... for real? Mp3's and ogg's would have been just fine as far as sound tracks go.
But all & all that's some commitment right there.
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

iWasAdam

QuoteNice to hear you've got it complete
still got some issues  :-X and the song load/save to get working, but more or less :)

QuoteHoly dang man ... for real?
Yep, been a bit of a struggle, but it's starting to work :)

If you're really interested, then do a quick google for 'Fairlight CMI IIx' and you'll get all the details.
The software is a complete recreation of this down to the UI and full sequencer and command system. It's not like the Arturia CMI V - which just plays back. This recreates the entire workflow - and then expands on it (whilst keeping the same concepts as the original).
(I've been in constant touch with some of the original engineers for a while to get their thought and suggestions)

iWasAdam

Not sure what's going on here... But it kinda looks like sabreman has broken out of 2d into isometric?