September 19, 2019, 12:32:12 PM

Author Topic: ZX Collection Vol #1  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Derron

Re: ZX Collection Vol #1
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2019, 03:05:55 PM »
14 inches - will help for the retro feeling :-)

bye
Ron

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2019, 03:23:17 PM »
Come to think of it, I used to code on a14inch portable telly on the old spectrum, quite apt really 😄

Offline Steve Elliott

« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »
14 inches - will help for the retro feeling :-)

lol yes it does, my game running on the 13 inch MacBook looks more retro, although I prefer to run it on the bigger PC Screen with scanlines.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspbian Buster, pi4 4Gb RAM,1.5Ghz

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2019, 05:04:10 PM »
Quote from: Derron
There is no rule for that - but I was not sure if you were aware of it. Eg. in BlitzMax "plot(x,y)" or "drawLine(x,y,x2,y2)" ignore virtual resolutions - so they get "finer" than you want. I needed to add my own 2 cents (bresenham with drawRect() instead of plot()) to circumvent that issue.

Maybe this is the same for AGK (dunno how you did the pixel-look: scaling up or "virtual resolution with auto-scale up") ?
Yes, it's intentional :) - The game is using a virtual resolution of 256x192 but upscaled to native resolution. The scaling and rotation use native resolution as I didn't want to force that side into 256x192 as well.
Until the next time...

Offline Derron

« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2019, 11:34:34 PM »
When playing bomb da city I thought ... oh wait, throwing these bombs doesn't sound so ... "you should enjoy this game". Glad the police ... at least .. tries to arrest the pilot :-)
Think that game would even fit well to the Atari 2600.

The Bean game ... dunno how to describe it, I like these Dr.Mario-like games. Yet I have to add a critic here: I think the beans are too huge to "grasp" on a big screen. So playing this on a 24 (or maybe 27 inch or how big you filthy-rich-Mac-Users screens are  :-*) in fullscreen leads to pretty big circles in vibrant colors. Either it was the time of my tests (sparetime = evening) but it was hard to concentrate to see all cells/beans at once. Maybe this is why in Dr. Mario there is a bit of "environment" around (to lower playfield size).

Also I have to do a suggestion: if you remove beans, they just disappear, maybe make them blink shortly while they vanish: "blink blink collapse".

Other two games are ... nice and clean and crisp ... they play smooth and only stuff I have to add for now: dunno when you loose shield energy but I often killed stuff right before it reaches the outer circle - but it reached my ship already. I never really knew if it should remove energy if it hits me too - or if it just vanished because I hit it instead of shooting it down with my ammo.

bye
Ron

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2019, 12:17:26 AM »
When playing bomb da city I thought ... oh wait, throwing these bombs doesn't sound so ... "you should enjoy this game". Glad the police ... at least .. tries to arrest the pilot :-)
I just fancied an excuse to remake the Blitz game from the Vic-20 :P - The public were all safe though as in the instructions the army cleared all the buildings ;D

The Bean game ... dunno how to describe it
A basic puyo puyo ripoff pretty well describes it :))

I think the beans are too huge to "grasp" on a big screen. So playing this on a 24 (or maybe 27 inch or how big you filthy-rich-Mac-Users screens are  :-*) in fullscreen leads to pretty big circles in vibrant colors
I'm a not so rich "27 inch filthy-rich-Mac-User" :o

Also I have to do a suggestion: if you remove beans, they just disappear, maybe make them blink shortly while they vanish: "blink blink collapse".
Yes, I was going to revisit this game a polish it up with sparkly effects. What happened was I did the Bomb da City game knowing I had plenty of time to revisit it and then a crap load of real life work came in so I didn't get time to do the sparkly effects :(

dunno when you loose shield energy but I often killed stuff right before it reaches the outer circle - but it reached my ship already. I never really knew if it should remove energy if it hits me too - or if it just vanished because I hit it instead of shooting it down with my ammo.
The blue circle is the "galactic shield" *cough* and the enemies drain that when they make contact. The players ship can't be destroyed as it's super hi-tech whereas the "galactic shield" isn't. Make sense?, good good ;D
Until the next time...

Offline round157

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2019, 12:39:28 AM »
This entry............Well Done.!