ZX Collection Vol #1

Started by Qube, January 26, 2019, 02:33:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

14 inches - will help for the retro feeling :-)

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Come to think of it, I used to code on a14inch portable telly on the old spectrum, quite apt really
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Steve Elliott

14 inches - will help for the retro feeling :-)

lol yes it does, my game running on the 13 inch MacBook looks more retro, although I prefer to run it on the bigger PC Screen with scanlines.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: DerronThere is no rule for that - but I was not sure if you were aware of it. Eg. in BlitzMax "plot(x,y)" or "drawLine(x,y,x2,y2)" ignore virtual resolutions - so they get "finer" than you want. I needed to add my own 2 cents (bresenham with drawRect() instead of plot()) to circumvent that issue.

Maybe this is the same for AGK (dunno how you did the pixel-look: scaling up or "virtual resolution with auto-scale up") ?
Yes, it's intentional :) - The game is using a virtual resolution of 256x192 but upscaled to native resolution. The scaling and rotation use native resolution as I didn't want to force that side into 256x192 as well.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

When playing bomb da city I thought ... oh wait, throwing these bombs doesn't sound so ... "you should enjoy this game". Glad the police ... at least .. tries to arrest the pilot :-)
Think that game would even fit well to the Atari 2600.

The Bean game ... dunno how to describe it, I like these Dr.Mario-like games. Yet I have to add a critic here: I think the beans are too huge to "grasp" on a big screen. So playing this on a 24 (or maybe 27 inch or how big you filthy-rich-Mac-Users screens are  :-*) in fullscreen leads to pretty big circles in vibrant colors. Either it was the time of my tests (sparetime = evening) but it was hard to concentrate to see all cells/beans at once. Maybe this is why in Dr. Mario there is a bit of "environment" around (to lower playfield size).

Also I have to do a suggestion: if you remove beans, they just disappear, maybe make them blink shortly while they vanish: "blink blink collapse".

Other two games are ... nice and clean and crisp ... they play smooth and only stuff I have to add for now: dunno when you loose shield energy but I often killed stuff right before it reaches the outer circle - but it reached my ship already. I never really knew if it should remove energy if it hits me too - or if it just vanished because I hit it instead of shooting it down with my ammo.

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteWhen playing bomb da city I thought ... oh wait, throwing these bombs doesn't sound so ... "you should enjoy this game". Glad the police ... at least .. tries to arrest the pilot :-)
I just fancied an excuse to remake the Blitz game from the Vic-20 :P - The public were all safe though as in the instructions the army cleared all the buildings ;D

QuoteThe Bean game ... dunno how to describe it
A basic puyo puyo ripoff pretty well describes it :))

QuoteI think the beans are too huge to "grasp" on a big screen. So playing this on a 24 (or maybe 27 inch or how big you filthy-rich-Mac-Users screens are  :-*) in fullscreen leads to pretty big circles in vibrant colors
I'm a not so rich "27 inch filthy-rich-Mac-User" :o

QuoteAlso I have to do a suggestion: if you remove beans, they just disappear, maybe make them blink shortly while they vanish: "blink blink collapse".
Yes, I was going to revisit this game a polish it up with sparkly effects. What happened was I did the Bomb da City game knowing I had plenty of time to revisit it and then a crap load of real life work came in so I didn't get time to do the sparkly effects :(

Quotedunno when you loose shield energy but I often killed stuff right before it reaches the outer circle - but it reached my ship already. I never really knew if it should remove energy if it hits me too - or if it just vanished because I hit it instead of shooting it down with my ammo.
The blue circle is the "galactic shield" *cough* and the enemies drain that when they make contact. The players ship can't be destroyed as it's super hi-tech whereas the "galactic shield" isn't. Make sense?, good good ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

round157

This entry............Well Done.!