ZX Collection Vol #1

Started by Qube, January 26, 2019, 02:33:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerra

The death animation and those particles when you jump are excellent and it looks really clever the way you've mimicked the Spectrum colour clash. I'm curious how you're doing that? Are you drawing a coloured shader over elements of the sprite when it overlays an object that's coloured differently?

Next observation: You suck at playing your own game.

Further observation: This is going to be just as hard as games were back in those days and you shouldn't change this. I'll be shit at it but that's how the games were. They weren't so obsessed with games needing to be finished quickly so you'd go out and buy another one in those days.

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Qube

QuoteI like the "gradient" the platforms upper and lower parts build
Thanks, it was the only way I could add some form of shadowing without breaking the ZX 48k colour limit. Not that it matters anyway as part of my game is 128k mode.

Quotei think zombies should be able to spit on to player...hehehe..thats how they look like to me when they move..lol
lol, when I drew them I wasn't sure if it was a zombie, a mummy or just a weird walking worm :P - Was supposed to be a zombie type thing though.

QuoteCool.  Neat particle effects too.
Thanks, luckily it turned out OK as I was sceptical how it'd work due to the pixel size and no alpha blending / fading.

QuoteThe death animation and those particles when you jump are excellent and it looks really clever the way you've mimicked the Spectrum colour clash. I'm curious how you're doing that? Are you drawing a coloured shader over elements of the sprite when it overlays an object that's coloured differently?
For the colour clash I found a super quick way to do it that has minimal impact on FPS as it really is just drawing the sprite again. In a nutshell every sprite and tile is white and I just set its colour before drawing. If a sprite goes over a coloured tile then it's a simple scissor command around that 8x8 grid area then draw the sprite again but set it colour to the background tile. Quick and simple :) - I tried other methods like grabbing the image and manipulating it but that was way too slow and also splitting each sprite into 8x8 but that's just more work.

QuoteNext observation: You suck at playing your own game.
I know :P I was messing around trying to do speed collection of gems while falling down to the next level.

QuoteFurther observation: This is going to be just as hard as games were back in those days and you shouldn't change this. I'll be shit at it but that's how the games were.
It's not hard to play to be honest. Not super easy though but all you have to learn is when to jump over the enemies based on their speed. True this part of the game is more like the good old platformers that drove you nuts. Luckily it's not the full game so you not subjected to 50+ levels of madness.

Next video will be the ZX 128k part of my game, so no colour clash or 2 colours per 8x8 grid \o/ freedom!! :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

GaborD

Really like the particles and the strict oldschool coloring. Great contender.

Qube

Quote from: GaborD on March 04, 2019, 19:11:20
Really like the particles and the strict oldschool coloring. Great contender.
Thanks, there's a lot more to it than currently shown ;D
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

I love the particle effects as he is generated and after he jumps, triple a stuff Indeed 8)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Qube

No new screen shots or videos yet, sorry :(

Tonight I've been creating ZX Spectrum 128k style music and my head is spinning with plink plonk sounds :)) - I so want to break out a full on synth VST but I'm trying to keep things authentic-ish. I'm sure all this effort won't be worth it as you'll all no doubt be frantically looking for the mute button but true to the Speccy days there is no mute button, so suffer  >:D >:D >:D

Less than 20 days left. Still lots to do and I hope I get some good flowing days where things just come together :-X

Until the next time.

craigd

Looking good man! Not sure why but it reminds me of a cross between Chuckie Egg, Fred and Dizzy :}

Qube

Haven't shown much over the last few weeks but luckily I'm putting the finishing touches to it. Hopefully I'll be able to release it later today, a whopping 1 day early \o/ lol.

It's called "ZX Collection Volume #1" - 4 imaginary games from the ZX Spectrum 16K up to the multicoloured 128K.  The games in the collection are :

The logo looks odd as it's animated so looks better in motion.

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Cool, a bunch of games to play.   8)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

The animated Logo seems to be ignoring the virtual resolution. Just follow the blue pixels of the "ZX" and you will see that the y-steps are way smaller than they should.

bye
Ron

Xerra

Quote from: Derron on March 30, 2019, 08:33:42
The animated Logo seems to be ignoring the virtual resolution. Just follow the blue pixels of the "ZX" and you will see that the y-steps are way smaller than they should.

Sigh, only Derron ....... :)

Looks great, boss. Gonna show us all up again?
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Qube

Quote from: Derron on March 30, 2019, 08:33:42
Is there a rule about that? Erm, no :P

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Looks great, I'm beginning to think the resolution I've restrained myself to is a damn site smaller than I should be using. The speccy font looks huge compared to your menu, maybe it's just me. To late to address that now!

Derron

Quote from: Qube on March 30, 2019, 12:46:50
Is there a rule about that? Erm, no :P

There is no rule for that - but I was not sure if you were aware of it. Eg. in BlitzMax "plot(x,y)" or "drawLine(x,y,x2,y2)" ignore virtual resolutions - so they get "finer" than you want. I needed to add my own 2 cents (bresenham with drawRect() instead of plot()) to circumvent that issue.

Maybe this is the same for AGK (dunno how you did the pixel-look: scaling up or "virtual resolution with auto-scale up") ?

If I knew before that there is no much hassle (less than "only strict rule is the palette") then I could of course have rendered everything scaled up - but moved "unscaled" - so a smooth movement. :-)

Will check it out after compo deadline - kids are out now, 2 hours of coding for me ;-)

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

My son's just requested MY 22 inch monitor back, so I'll be slumming it after lunch with 2 X 14 inches again  ^-^