ZX Collection Vol #1

Started by Qube, January 26, 2019, 02:33:36

Previous topic - Next topic

3DzForMe

QuoteI like to add new challenges when doing a comp entry to push myself to do new things ;D

Yeah, I'm a bugger for doing that myself, I think... Hmmm, I wonder if I could work some of this or that in as well... you usually can but in my case make my generic room handler do simple things like letting you turn a light on gets a bit head achey.

I've got all my rooms with responses to what you can do in them in a multi-dimensional array, arrays are great ;D
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Qube

No screen shots or videos to post yet ( soon ). But tonight I revisited my colour clash code as it was performing slow. After a lightbulb moment I managed to lob off 300+FPS on that routine alone \o/

I also finished off the movement, climbing, jumping and falling for this particular part of my game. As I'm dealing with such a small resolution I had to add in coordinate reset code as delta time movement isn't the best when dealing with pixel perfect constraints.

Also been creating some ZX 128-ish music which has been a whole heap of a challenge. I'm sure I'll finish my game in time, I just need to learn the art of not sleeping or doing real life work stuff ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

MrmediamanX

Quote from: Qube on February 25, 2019, 07:15:16
Also been creating some ZX 128-ish music which has been a whole heap of a challenge. I'm sure I'll finish my game in time, I just need to learn the art of not sleeping or doing real life work stuff ;D

dooood ... i'm here just waiting till drop time. ;D
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Qube

Quotedooood ... i'm here just waiting till drop time. ;D
Mine won't be dropping until the last minute at this rate :o - Micro steps is all I'm managing at the moment :(

But today I did get around to heavily improving some code I did on a previous comp to fit more into my slow improving framework. Look at this lovely new command :

CreateEnemy( 1, 8, 16, 0.50, 9, 3, "R9R9L9L9" )

What that does is create an "enemy" at x / y coordinates, speed of movement, frames of animation, animation speed, animation movement string

The animation movement string is a simple L R U D ( left, right, up and down ) and the next value is how many tile map pieces it moves by. As it only takes one parameter for movement you do need to do something like R9R9 to move right 18 tile map pieces, but it keeps the code all streamlined.

Then in my main loop I have another command called HandleEnemies() which does all the magic of movement and animation on my tile map code. Makes it super easy to created animated moving enemies on a set repeated path. I'll be improving the animation string functions overtime but for now it does the job.

Well, wasn't that exciting to read? :P

Keeping with the boring stuff, here's my favourite created function *ever* :

SpriteZX( fImage, fXPos, fYPos, fScale, fAngle, fColour )

Draws a sprite from the ZX Spectrums palette of 16 colours but also handles colour clash between other sprites and the tile map. Super awesome! ;D

Anyway... Super exciting video's will be arriving soon soon :))
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

MrmediamanX

Nice ... I should throw up my basic blitz3d zxspeccy test somewhere.
its just a base test with no collision but its a thing guess. :D

Xerra

It's the simplest functions that you end up using the most. This is the one I use more than anything else in my base project file for new games:

scrTextInit(c64Yellow,fntC64,fa_middle,fa_middle);

and the script it's calling:

/// @desc scrSetText(colour,font,halign,valign)
// @argument0 colour
// @argument1 font
// @argument2 halign

// @argument3 valign

// (C) Tony Brice - 10/03/2018

// Allows one line setup of major text drawing vars.

draw_set_colour(argument0);
draw_set_font(argument1);
draw_set_halign(argument2);
draw_set_valign(argument3);

Literally just sets the colour, font with the horizontal and vertical align for the next text draw command and I couldn't live without it /nerd
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Steve Elliott

Look at this lovely new command :

Code: [Select]
CreateEnemy( 1, 8, 16, 0.50, 9, 3, "R9R9L9L9" )

What that does is create an "enemy" at x / y coordinates, speed of movement, frames of animation, animation speed, animation movement string

Cool, a movement and animation script.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

I'm with Steve, animation and Movement script - well cool :)

Qube

Quick video showing a couple of levels of part of my comp entry. As you can see I've gone all out with the AAA artwork \o/. No music or sound is in this part yet and I've still loooooads to do.

Just in case you are wondering "Is that it???", then umm nope ;D

Here's a full HD Speccy video.. Enjoy some retro colour clash :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Mc13eCMLU

Until the next time.

MrmediamanX

Derron

I like the "gradient" the platforms upper and lower parts build - makes it look vibrant but still a bit more "3D" ("plastic"). It uses the limited color very well without trying to mimic "more colors".
Movement of the main char is pretty cute.

Hope you add a nice "swoosh" sound suiting to the particles when jumping.

bye
Ron

Naughty Alien

..i like it .. and for some reason, i think zombies should be able to spit on to player...hehehe..thats how they look like to me when they move..lol

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

Well cool, and again i'm with Steve - Great particles  8)