Code a game comp - 8-BIT WARS - Jan 25th to Mar 31st 2019

Started by Qube, January 25, 2019, 22:33:00

Previous topic - Next topic

3DzForMe

Quote12.. There will be a one week gap after the comp ends before voting starts to allow members to play the games and for developers to fix any bugs in their game and re-upload. Once voting commences then no further bug fixes can be submitted until after voting has been completed.

There was more than 10 rules.... Aahh, that explains it.

Maybe if I'd had a Windows 7 box instead of a drunken pigs box it might ve went better. My son's got a decent 64 bit machine, I've got a lovely W7 Ultimate machine, that cost a whole 560 pence. Billy bargain machine for sure.

Someone said once you've had a Mac you won't go back, seeing as you've generally to sell your soul to purchase one, I'm not surprised  ;D

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Derron

Quote from: Qube on April 03, 2019, 00:10:40
You don't have a decent PC at the moment? :o

Last time I spent money for my machine was last year for a used GTX 660 (30 Eur) as I wanted to try out faster Blender cycles rendering but it wasn't worth the money as system starts to crawl if GPU rendering is activated (compared to CPU in which it just slows down a bit - task managing?).
Before the last time of buying something for it was 2011 or 2012 when I bought my brave AMD LLano - man, RAM prices were cheap that time ;-). Nonetheless the whole system was cheaper than 400€.
Ahh forgot about the bigger screen I bought 3 years ago (24" FHD) - for 60€.

Is this called a "decent PC"  :-) ?

There are times in live in which you prefer to put your money into different things than your computer. Especially with computers no longer developing in the speed as they did in the 90s (486 vs cyrix/amd 686 vs pentium).
(Money I "actively" save are put into the piggy bank or my kids)

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

is there a simple list of all entries for the competition so I can download them all?  :-*

3DzForMe

@Derron yeah, my kids do get a fair old slice of my sheckles of late. 900 quid on driving lessons alone since Christmas, and now 4 grand on a car. I spent 38 quid on new bearings for my skates a fortnight ago...  The old ones had lasted 7 years to be fair. I'm relegated to a W7 ultimate laptop I got for 5 pound 60 two years ago, I need to use A14 inch monitor I got from a charity shop for a tenner, to a good cause though, it was the British heart foundation.

Funny old thing is, the W7 desktop that just died cost me over 500 quid and was always flaky connecting to my Garmin. My laptop that cost me 1 percent of the price hooks up 1st time every time, even though the screen is buggered.

Derron

Showcase-Thread for Genus Prime now contains a Mac-Download (build on an older Mac OS, so dunno how it works on Mojave or Retina displays or whatever changed during the years).

If you cannot start it - use as Qube suggested

bye
Ron

Xerra

Quote from: iWasAdam on April 03, 2019, 07:29:44
is there a simple list of all entries for the competition so I can download them all?  :-*

I'm assuming Qube will put one together with all entries as soon as bug fix week is over and voting begins.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Qube

QuoteI'm assuming Qube will put one together with all entries as soon as bug fix week is over and voting begins.
Yeah, I'll be putting one together when it's time to vote as that'll have all the bug fixed versions. After that I'll do a list of all the game comps for easier access for members old and new to grab :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Quote. Yeah, I'll be putting one together when it's time to vote as that'll have all the bug fixed versions. After that I'll do a list of all the game comps for easier access for members old and new to grab :)   

Qube, you're ace, I was going to do a web page, then I recalled my web authoring tool is on my dead C Drive. Kinda stole my mojo for it ;)

iWasAdam

3DzForMe

41 Hours of bug fix time left...... I needed a bit of a reprieve from coding to even think about firing up the old IDEal, now why did my (albeit somewhat simple) Big Dark Adventure title screen fail to show post turning of debug..... yet again, the clock starts ticking.

Before I entertain any bug fixing though, I'm of for some Kinight Lore esque fun in VivaMortis..... to start with ;)

QuoteYou play as Mortis: Overworked minion of Mr De'Ath.

I worked for a Mr De'ath back in 2014 for 9 months, true that!

Good luck bug fixing folks!

Adam, when I double click your executable, I briefly get a window up... don't have time to read whats in it and it blows away. I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate laptop - could you provide a debug version that helps the initial GUI to have a press any key and I mkay be able to provide you with feedback as to why its failing? Ah, I think this laptops 32-bit - could that be it?

iWasAdam

Yep, it's coming from a windows 10 machine 64bit, so can't really debug on win7 :(

3DzForMe

Ah, okay, thanks for getting back - Will try on my sons 64bit desktop.  I'm teetering on the brink of buying a 64bit laptop, but I'll stay strong and get by with my creaky old laptop.

Might go on the hunt for a second hand 64-bit laptop......

Imerion

Managed to get a bugfix release in for Tiny Tales! I fixed a handful issues with things getting stuck, enemies not taking damage, things not displaying as intended, inventory behaving odd, etc.

Downloads are as before:
Windows: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vaqc2ea1te5ardu/TinyTales-Beta-Win.zip?dl=0
Linux: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivhc3fujxlco4ho/TinyTales-Beta-Linux.zip?dl=0
MacOS: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xgzstq37douenn/TinyTales-Beta-MacOS.zip?dl=0

I also posted a showcase thread if someone wants to post some final bug reports or such. :D

3DzForMe

36 mins of bug fixining left, just off to have a quick play of tiny tales

Created a dropbox account, ran the 32-bit, the menu screen loaded - the imagery was moving - but how do I start the game?

[edit] sussed it, space bar and cursor keys - runs well here on Windows 7 Ultimate ;)

craigd

Hope this is the correct place to post the link to the final version of my game. In before the deadline anyway :}

https://craigdev.itch.io/fireball-dungeon-013

Good luck everyone! Win or lose, at least we created something we wouldn't have otherwise. 100XP for everyone ;p Cheers for the compo Qube. it has been fun! :)