Code a game comp - 8-BIT WARS - Jan 25th to Mar 31st 2019

Started by Qube, January 25, 2019, 22:33:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

Aren't all these colors "approximations" or "perceived rgb values" ? Thought most of these systems used chroma/yuv and whatever analog signals they had. So every "analog -> digital" conversion is an approximation.

Yet... nobody of us will blame you for using a slightly different RGB code (as long as the difference is neglectable).

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

@iWasAdam, thanks for these:

Quotegrey = 127, 127, 127

I'm using the following ocmmand for a clscolor in blitzbasic, this helps me get the 'grey' via code.

ClsColor 127,127,127
   Cls

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

3DzForMe

Spectrum Query:

Can I play songs from mp3 files within the executable? Yes I know the Speccy could only manage beepy noises code wise, however stuff played from tapes (i.e. the code) was high frequency stuff.

So, my point is this. I know that a Spectrum game was never released (back in the day) using the loader function to play music recorded on a magnetic tape to 'add to the atmosphere'. (as far as I know)

However, if I was to incorporate text into my Big Dark Adventure, that states 'Load Complete, please remove game tape 1, and insert game tape 2, rewind to the start and reset the tape counter.'

Then.... within the adventure... you will be informed upon entering a room 'In the RW, you fast forward the tape to 009. You press play'.

Back in the day, the sound would come through the Speccy's internal speaker. what do you think? Could this have been feasible back in the day to add to the Spectrums (already......) atmospheric games?

Yeah, I know Commodore 64 graphics may have been (cough) slightly better - I'm sure the loading time was somewhat more protracted on the 64 though.....

3DzForMe

QuoteHD Spectrum game if you want so long as it looks the part.

Hmmm, I've been working with the stock resolution of 256 x 192.

Edit, more is not better, I'll be sticking within the authentic speccy pixels, just need to be economic with my UI design.  ^-^
If you say 'HD' does that mean, you could go mad and have four spectrums running at once. I think I'm just being silly here, but as for authenticity - who would have four spectrums hooked up to 4 tellys to take the resolution up to a huge 512 x 394. Some thing like this:

Qube

QuoteCan I play songs from mp3 files within the executable?
There are no rules regarding sound but do keep in mind that part of the voting is "authenticity". It's not a critical part of the voting though but just there as a bit of fun.

QuoteBack in the day, the sound would come through the Speccy's internal speaker. what do you think? Could this have been feasible back in the day to add to the Spectrums (already......) atmospheric games?
Sounds plausible to me :)

Quotewho would have four spectrums hooked up to 4 tellys to take the resolution up to a huge 512 x 394. Some thing like this:
Multiplayer Jet-Pac ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Yeah, think I'm getting a little to far outside the authentic land!

MrmediamanX

Quote from: 3DzForMe on February 18, 2019, 07:56:21
Yeah, think I'm getting a little to far outside the authentic land!

I suppose for an authentic game it would depend on the date of release, or something like that ... Mainly due to later and indie games pushing the chosen hardware beyond which was even though of as feasible back in the day. 

side note ... mother fuzzy whoooo ha!!
I was able to convert my main character to a C64 sprite sheet with the look and animation still intact.
Possible port? could be.
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

3DzForMe

T minus 22 days, tick tock!

There is obviously a lot of love for this compo, if say more than 5 of the current entrants wouldn't mind a 3 week extension, which might allow for some 8 bit retro coding fun at Easter too, could we pleeeeeeez extend this compo by a bit? Exceptional circumstances being the shear quality of the entrants to date . Likewise, if 5 of the current entrants said, sod an extension, all good.

Quote.All entries must be in by 23:59:59 on the 31st of Mar 2019 ( GMT ). No extensions to the deadline will be granted.     

STEVIE G

Quote from: 3DzForMe on March 09, 2019, 08:56:16
T minus 22 days, tick tock!

There is obviously a lot of love for this compo, if say more than 5 of the current entrants wouldn't mind a 3 week extension, which might allow for some 8 bit retro coding fun at Easter too, could we pleeeeeeez extend this compo by a bit? Exceptional circumstances being the shear quality of the entrants to date . Likewise, if 5 of the current entrants said, sod an extension, all good.

Quote.All entries must be in by 23:59:59 on the 31st of Mar 2019 ( GMT ). No extensions to the deadline will be granted.     

I'd be up for an extension as I've had a lot going on in the last 4 weeks resulting in minimal development time BUT as there are a few entries which seem pretty close to completion I can understand if they'd rather stick with the original deadline. 

round157

An appropriate extension can avoid only 3 or 4 entries at last.

3DzForMe

Yeah, I could carry on coding in please speccy style after march, but tbh, at 47 years young, I've some other distractions these days, offspring and the like. How about a cheeky 15 days then, be a shame if that didn't get Easter in but hey ho!

Derron

Deadline is deadline.

Extend one time and you extend each time.

Bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Yeah I agree with Derron.  I'm so far behind compared to where I'd hoped to be, but that's life.  If I don't complete on time I know I'll complete the game anyway a little after the deadline.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

I did extend the comp deadline once ( I think it was a Christmas one ) and it didn't go down too well with some :P - Personally I wouldn't mind a couple of weeks more but the deadline IS the deadline ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

STEVIE G

Quote from: Qube on March 09, 2019, 22:47:05
I did extend the comp deadline once ( I think it was a Christmas one ) and it didn't go down too well with some :P - Personally I wouldn't mind a couple of weeks more but the deadline IS the deadline ;D

There was far less competition at Xmas!  Fair doos though - rules are rules!