Code a game comp - 8-BIT WARS - Jan 25th to Mar 31st 2019

Started by Qube, January 25, 2019, 22:33:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerra

Quote from: Imerion on March 31, 2019, 21:57:07
I really hope I am in time here! Four minutes to go!

You still have two hours to go. Not sure if the competition mentions a deadline in GMT though, so possibly you wouldn't have known that.

Well done for getting your game done and don't panic. It's entered now. You've even got time to knock up a title screen as long as you can get it uploaded within the 2 hours :)
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Imerion

QuoteYou still have two hours to go. Not sure if the competition mentions a deadline in GMT though, so possibly you wouldn't have known that.

Well done for getting your game done and don't panic. It's entered now. You've even got time to knock up a title screen as long as you can get it uploaded within the 2 hours :)

Ah, right! I counted the wrong way. ;) Will try to get that title screen in! :)

Steve Elliott

And bugs can be sorted in 'bug week'.  But no extra features can be added - just bug fixes.  So get all the features in, then sort out any bugs within the next week.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Morpheus

Quote from: Qube on March 31, 2019, 19:30:39
Quote from: Morpheus on March 31, 2019, 18:54:16
And I am Done! So is the game  8)
On the Mac version I get a popup window saying the game can't be found :(

However if I change a line in game.ini and options.ini to OutputDir="" then all is OK :)

Yes that certainly fixes the issue! Not even sure why those values are in there; come to think about some values SHOULDN'T be in there  :o

Raised a ticket about that issue!

Anyways a new version with the fix is up on itch for downloading.... Apologies for those affected!

3DzForMe

Quote. And bugs can be sorted in 'bug week'.  But no extra features can be added - just bug fixes.  So get all the features in, then sort out any bugs within the next week.   

There was me thinking I was done, my loader had all sorts of speccy esque narrative/hassle some peeps would've called it that I disabled whilst de bugging.... Whilst it's entertaining it can stay as is.

There was an albeit simple title screen in there , regretably it might be staying buried in the compiled exe....never to see the light of day. Sweet dreams folks.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Steve Elliott

There was me thinking I was done

It might not even run on any other system - bar yours  ;)

Think about that stuff tomorrow morning.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

It ran on my son's W10 desktop, and all I did was use the unzipped zip file I attached for testing, fingers crossed, if not cest la viev ;D

Steve Elliott

Just teasing, I'm sure all will be fine.  Now take that rest.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

@Imerion - it's only 22:56 in the UK so you've 1hr and 4 minutes left :) - Could you add an option for either full screen or windows scaling as it's micro small and I can't see what's going on :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Qube

Come on Derron!! one more game and we've 10 entries ;D
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Still a whole hour to go, I'm knackered and of to the land of nod, c'mon Derron , you can do it!

Qube

Quote from: 3DzForMe on March 31, 2019, 23:00:24
Still a whole hour to go, I'm knackered and of to the land of nod, c'mon Derron , you can do it!
For a well earned rest ;D - Will play all the entries properly tomorrow once everyones are in :)

Until the next time.

Derron

Genus Prime v1.0

Conquer the galaxy ...  by sending ships from your planet to others. Easy peasy isn't it?
Use your mouse to select planets and target enemy planets to set your ships free. Once the population counter of a planet goes below 0 - it will change ownership.
Owned planets generate Research Points (RP) which you can use to upgrade your tech tree on the knowledge hub.
Ah and you might want to buy some missiles as planetary defense of each planet.

There is a campaign mode (with some more events/elements) and a random (quick start) or skirmish (custom game) mode.

There is NO profile yet, so what campaigns you won is stored in your savegame - use that as progress.

Campaigns are written in plain XML - so you might want to add your own (especially with the ... Solar Support and Rebel features).

----------

Controls: Mouse driven, use right click (or Escape key) to abort/exit a menu/screen. If the pixel flickering of some elements annoys you then hit "c" once to disable color alternation (I used it rarely but still... who knows). It flickers more the less Hz your screen has).

Use F5 to quicksave and F8 to quickload.
----------

Download: https://www.gamezworld.de/files/GenusPrime_v1.0.zip [Linux 64bit, Windows 32bit + 64bit]
(ignore "Build time" in app title - I am +1 to Qube's BST ;-))
(The 32bit Windows build was done afterwards with vanilla BlitzMax and is untested except for "executes and plays music").

----------

Media: SFX by me, graphics by me, fonts as stated in the fonts directory, music as stated in the music/licences.txt

bye
Ron

Imerion

Done! Update completed in time! Game now has title screen and more fixes! :D

Quote@Imerion - it's only 22:56 in the UK so you've 1hr and 4 minutes left :) - Could you add an option for either full screen or windows scaling as it's micro small and I can't see what's going on :P

Odd, it should run in fullscreen by default while keeping the aspect ratio. I enabled free window scaling now though, so perhaps Alt + Enter or just a manual resize will help. (First bugfix release. I hope that was ok. This bugfix week sounds like a great idea!)

Now that I am done with all this it will be super-fun to try the other games. I have barely had time to even look at the devlogs lately. But first, a lot of rest. :D

Qube

:o :o TIMES UP!!! :o :o

No more entries for this comp, boooo :(

Huge congrats to all those that made it, well done :) - All entrants have one week of bug fixes which ends on April 7th @ 23:59:59 GMT. No new features are to be added to your game and no sneaky things like "10 new levels now appear due to a bug fix :P".

Until the next time.