October 18, 2019, 10:58:31 AM

Author Topic: Next competition ideas ( the great debate )  (Read 2263 times)

Offline TomToad

Re: Next competition ideas ( the great debate )
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
My thoughts.  Anytime you have a contest that has technical requirements or within a specific genre, there will be someone that will not want to participate.  Whether it be 8 bit, adventure, arcade, retro, 3D, etc... there will be those who like it and those who don't.  You will never please 100% of the people.

I think that from here on out, contests should alternate between technical and topic.  For example, this contest could be 8 bit wars.  Those who don't like the theme could take it as a challenge, or just wait for the next contest. 

The next one would just be limited by topic, for example "planes."  You could do a flight simulator, a WWI dogfight, airport traffic control simulation, the sky's the limit as long as it fits the topic.  This will give everyone a chance to use their best skills to create a game.

After that, another technical contest to once again challenge anyone that wants one.  And so on
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Offline Matty

• MattiesGames
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2019, 11:45:10 AM »
Interesting when you said "planes" in your example I thought mathematical surfaces not aircraft...I wonder if an interpretation like that would be allowed? ;-)

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2019, 12:10:15 PM »
oops, my bad.  >:(
Atari palette was wrong. Here's the corrected version:
  :P

Other entry correct...

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2019, 12:12:56 PM »
And (if someone is really serious)  :o
Here' is a version of the PETSCII font. to be used ONLY - no bitmapped sprites!  :P

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2019, 04:53:01 PM »
Anyone who's after the c64 font will find it with the other Commodore machines in this archive. Licence info is included in the Zip.

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2019, 05:06:41 PM »
So, Qube, just to check, assuming the 8bit contest does go ahead after all.

I'm thinking of going for the 320 * 200 screen resolution of the C64 and using the original font for any drawn text. The only consideration with this is that the window area is pretty small so I thought that I'd have everything drawn for that resolution then literally double the size of the images and fonts to work for a window size of 640 * 400 while still looking just like a C64 game. The pixels are going to look pretty chunky doing this but then so would Vice if you put a C64 game into full screen on a modern monitor or telly.

This screen size would not allow for multiple colours within a 8*8 char graphic (16 * 16 now) I'm assuming, as I can't remember off-hand, so I'd probably just work with simple colouring in the background graphics but I'd have anything classed as a sprite (moving objects) using any of the C64 palette colours that I wanted. Pretty sure the C64 worked that way from memory. I'd be using objects for the background in this game but that wouldn't be possible very easily, if at all, on a real C64 so I don't want to cheat it.

In short, as long as it looks like a game that would be possible to run on the C64 (no particle effects or any bollocks like that) then I'm assuming I'm within the rules?

If I go with my current idea then it would be a spiritual sequel to Spy Hunter but with a different name, and a few changes, but no dramatic big expanded features like massive maps because of what the memory limitations a proper C64 game would have. I'm not going to try and claim that this is a multi-load or anything like that.

Offline Steve Elliott

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2019, 05:24:49 PM »
Personally I think we're getting too much into the graphic limitations here.

Why not just produce the 'look and feel' of an 8-bit computer game?  Without whining about lack of colour clash or 2 more colours over the original.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspbian Buster, pi4 4Gb RAM,1.5Ghz

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2019, 05:35:02 PM »
A tweaked version on the 8-bit wars will be launched tonight sometime. There will be no forced resolution or tech limits beyond the colour palette ( because it MUST look like an X computer ). As before any tech limits will be optional extras to allow those more tech savvy coders to push themselves if they so wish ( for a few extra voting points ).

To clarify, no forced resolution, no forced hardware limits like attribute clash or 4 colours per 8 x 8 blocks. Those are just optional extras if those who can do it fancy a bit of extra fun.
Until the next time...